British Speedway Forum
KevH

Malcolm Simmons

Does anyone know who Malcolm Simmons rode for in 1985 and 1988 please?

Well, 1988 would be Arena Essex and, if my memory serves me, 1985 would be Kings Lynn.

Edit:

The memory is going, it was Swindon in 1985.

And his 1985 figures, in case you ask, were (British League and League Cup only):

Malcolm Simmons..38..291..23..314..7.89

Meetings..points..bonus points..total points..average.

Interestingly, of course, Simmons was also team manager of National League Hackney in 1985 - he joined them as a rider the following season.

Edited by Subedei

Well, 1988 would be Arena Essex and, if my memory serves me, 1985 would be Kings Lynn.

Edit:

The memory is going, it was Swindon in 1985.

Well my records show he made his debut for Arena in 1989, but thanks for the Swindon info. :approve:

Can anyone confirm 1988 please?

Interestingly, of course, Simmons was also team manager of National League Hackney in 1985 - he joined them as a rider the following season.

I thought it was 1987 actually :wink: , seriously though mate - thanks for the help. :approve:

I thought it was 1987 actually :wink: , seriously though mate - thanks for the help. :approve:

No, definitely 1986 that he joined the soon-to-become Orange Dictator at Hackney. The same season that Jessup moved to Mildenhall and Les Collins to Edinburgh.

Well my records show he made his debut for Arena in 1989, but thanks for the Swindon info. :approve:

Can anyone confirm 1988 please?

When Wimbledon went NL in 1985, Simmo spent a year with Swindon before splitting 1986 between King's Lynn (BL) and Hackney (NL). Then came one year with Hackney in BL, but I do believe he missed 1988 before appearing for Arena in 1989.

Steve

Edited by chunky

I'm sure it will all be in the forthcoming backtrack magazine ;)

Think chunky has it all there.I went to Simmo's Silver Jubilee meeting and the programme has full stats for his career from 65.

1985 Swindon with the KOC as well:

40....167.....306...24...330...7.90 (3 Full max)

Speedway in the South East says that Peter Thorogood talked Malcolm Simmons out of retirement at the beginning of 1989. So I guess he didn't ride for anyone in 1988.

Simmo's BL career was as follows:

West Ham(65,66,67),KingsLynn(68,69,70,71,72,73,74,86,93),Poole(75,76,77,78,79,80),Wim

bledon(81,82,83,84),Swindon(85),Hackney(86,87),ArenaEssex(89)

Thanks to everyone for their help. :approve:

As frigbo says, Simmo returned to the track for Kings Lynn in 1993 - he made his debut at Belle Vue scoring 0. Has anyone got his stats for that season please? (ie M R Pts B T Av F P)

He can be seen often at Arlington, maybe he's thinking about it :P

Simmo's BL career was as follows:

West Ham(65,66,67),KingsLynn(68,69,70,71,72,73,74,86,93),Poole(75,76,77,78,79,80),Wim

bledon(81,82,83,84),Swindon(85),Hackney(86,87),ArenaEssex(89)

Don't forget Molly had a season in the National League with West Ham in 64 and in the Provincial League in 63 with Hackney!

Edited by Custom House Kid