British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bee

British League 1965

Here are some teams and names to bring back the memories...

West Ham Hammers -

Were very succesful in 65. Remember feeling gutted that in all the moves to balance up the Provincial league teams Coventry lost several riders. None more so than Hurri Ken McKinlay. Sadly no longer with us. The hammers had Svere Harrdfeldt too. A young Malcolm Simmons and Reg Trott - now a ref. Norman Hunter was a rising star as well.

The rest of the hammers were made up of promosing Tony Clarke, Brian Lennoard and Trevor Ede

Newport Wasps -

Can't remember if they moved up from Provincial or were a new track to the new British League racing of course at Somerton Park. Not all that successful. But boy did they have some names... Think they took over the Southampton license...

Now here is where another Coventry 64 Bee ended up. Jack Biggs again no longer with us having been killed in a track crash in the 70's in Australia. Was most famed for the man who nearly won the World Final have completed 4 rides unbeaten and needing just 1 pt to take the title in his last ride....Finished last!

The late Alby Golden along with Peter Vandenberg (classy South African) that went on to ride at Wolverhampton as well. These two along with Dick Bradley were popular Saints riders now Wasps. Some of the lower end riders I remember well. Vic White who managed the Bees and who's son Keith had a spell with bees as well. Geoff Penniket, Bob Hughes and Jon Erskine made up the Wasps 65 team.

Wolverhampton Wolves -

Formerly known as the Wasps in the Provincial League. Not very strong in 65. But, again some familiar faces. Pete Jarman, Tommy Sweetman, The classy Aussie Jim Airey....what a rider he was. Bob Andrews, Gordon Gausco sadly departed. Brian Maxted, The great named one.....James Bond! And Cyril Francis who stayed on from Provincial league team, and ended up at Newport at some point, I recall.

Halifax Dukes -

Bahh Humbug.... This is where the Middlesborough Bears switched too.... And being a big Nigel fan it was always great to see him and brother Eric clash. Along with Eric Boocock another bee was robbed and placed here. Bryan Elliot Hard man Eric Boothroyd Dashing Dave Younghusband, Tommy Roper who moved in from Belle Vue, Aussies, Bert Kingston, and Dennis Gavros to be followed in 66 by Greg Kentwell if I remember right, dukes fans. The emblem of the White Elephant taken from a local military barracks. And finally Clive all elbows Hitch. Better remember by me in his Swindon days and again a brief spell at Coventry late in his career during our bad

spell in the 69/70 season.

Coventry Bees

Of course my beloved bees. Ripped apart! But still a major force. Gone was Big Hurri Ken McKinlay too West Ham. Gone was Bryan Elliot to Halifax, gone to was Jack Biggs to Newport. Les Owen sat on the fence for the first couple of months because he to had been allocated to Newport. He refused saying it was Coventry or no-where. Eventually they let him stay And so he did for 17 years until that fateful May meeting in 73 against Cradley Utd when he classed with team mate John Harrhy and ended up seriously injured. Alas Les is no longer with us either.

But, another GREAT bees line up for me. Nigel Boocock, Jim Lightfoot, Ron Mountford, (no longer with us) Rick France, from 64. Les Owen eventually. The rest....? They came up through the second halfs. Colin Cottrell made a brief appearance in 64, now he was full time bee. And Booey coached him on well. Sadly Colin died from Leukemea later. Chris Harrison was another young bee given a chance.

Chris later did well in the old Second Division with Doncaster and Birmingham. Before injuries and other things saw him retire. Howie Booton was also given a few chances. Maurie Mattingly moved on to Glasgow. Other names that started to appear in the juniors in 65/6/7/8 Roger Hill, Tony Lomas, Tom Thumb Ridley. (What ever did happen to him.? Smashing little rider that I recall was just making an impact in the team 67/8 when he smashed his leg at Coatbridge... Others that I recall were John Harrhy of course but that was 68/9 and the Late Pete Bailey. Killed in a car accident right outside Brandon.

There were some smashing days in those second halves....Who remembers Hasty Humpries, Pete Gay, Fred Hodder, Howie Booton, Matt Mattocks. AHHHHHHHHH MEMORIES.

When you consider we lost three good riders and nearly a fourth. That in effect the replacements were JUNIORS the BEES were really good.

Hackney Hawks -

Having spent 11 years in London the Hawks are also a special team too me... But not until the 80's. Barry Thomas being one hell of a top bloke geezer as well. He gave me all his rear tyres for training when I was trying my luck. Smashing guy. And fun.

Moved up from Provincial League. Took them a year or two to settle and then they won the League! And outside of Triggy and Pratty I did not think much of their side.

Roy Trigg and Colin Pratt led the Hawks in 65 along with Gerald Jackson.The McGillary's, Les and Sandy. Good old Howdy Byford what a character. Malc Brown who went onto Leicester, and finally Bill Davies.

Wimbledon Dons.

Another of the mighty pack. Ron How gone, Cyril Maidment gone. But they had Olle Nygren. Reg Luckhurst, Trevor Hedge, Jim Tubby - err sorry Tebby, Bob Dugard, Jon Edwards Malc Coomber and Geoff Hughes. Still strong enough to finish 2nd to the hammers. Their top three were good, and Dugard and Tebby had their moments too.

Glasgow Tigers -

The Scots were always poor travelers I recall. But a force on their own turf. Led by another great Aussie. The quiet man (For an Aussie that is something.) Charlie Monk. Matt Mattingly moved there from the bees. Bill McMillan later joined by brother Jim.Bruce Ovenden, Willie Templeton, with his brother Doug at the old enemy Edinburgh. Bluey Scott coming to the end of his career.Nils Paulsen, and Graham Coombes who eventully went to Cradley.

Poole Pirates -

What a mix.... Ronnie Genz who went to Oxford later, Geoff Mudge, Pete Smith, the young Bruce Cribb, he moved around a lot in his career. Pete Munday remember him at Swindon too.

Mudge Smith and Cribb were still there in 69 when Pirates won the league.

Newcastle Diamonds -

What a team full of history. Mauger Olsen Michaneck all wore the Diamond race jacket at one time or another. Brian Brett was the quality englishman as well.

In this first season of the British League though it was [Mauger and Brett that spearheaded the side. Others who became a tail to long to carry were Brian Craven (Peter's Brother) Russ Dent who was still racing in his 40's at Sunderland and Scunthorpe as I recall. Peter Kelly, Mike Watkin what ever happened to Watkin? I remember him as being a talent. Who can forget Goog Allen, then Ken Sharples and Dave Gifford came on he scene as well.

Sheffield Tigers -

Now here is some names as well.... They were not world beaters though. Billy Bales....Son Ray rode as well at Boston and Sheffield I believe as well as Mildenhall and Lynn. Billy I remember at Norwich Sheffield and Lynn. Clive Featherby] remember him at Lynn and Cradley as well. Son Craig rode as well before tragically being killed. Jack Kitchen who came in from Belle Vue.John Dews later at Halifax. Cyril's son David Crane Bob Paulson and another ex Halifax man and bee when we were in trouble in 73/74 Alan Jay

Exeter Falcons -

Ahhh the County Ground. So sad it's going. Jimmy Squibb, Colin Goody and Jack Geran (who nearly was a bee when he arrived with Ronnie Genz - see history of brandon) These were three well known characters. Alan Cowland later at Leicester, Des Luckhurst, Chris (often) Blewitt,Maury MacDermot and Doug Dearden made up the team.

Belle Vue Aces -

How the mighty did fall. They like Coventry were ripped apart. Kitchen at Sheffield was a loss, Roper another to Halifax. This still left them with Dick Fisher and Cyril Maidment new boy Hungarian Sandor Leavi didn't quite make the heat leader bracket but he did go on to be a star rider mainly at Newport. Jim Yacoby and Norman Nevitt Gordon MacGregor was aging a bit i recall. Bill Powell and Vic White also rode here.

Swindon Robins -

Briggo'sRobins having moved when Southampton closed. Mike Broadbanks, Martin Ashby, Mike Keen, Bob Kilby, Frank Shuter all support Briggo well, and Ashby Keen and Kilby were BIG names at Swindon foer many a year. But they struggled in this first season.Pete Sampson and Alan Jackson made up the Blunsdon Robins.

Cradley Heath Heathens-

Chopping blocks.... Were the first visitors to Brandon in March for the first ever BL match. Hammered 52-26 If I remember right, or thereabouts.

Still some wonderful names to remember..... Ivor Brown, Ivor Hughes, George Major, John Hart, Eric Hokaday, Chris Julian sadly gone through a girocopter accident. Leo AcAuliffe Harry Bastable and John Debbage.

Oxford Cheetahs -

They did well. Good solid team. Led by THE GREAT DANE Arne Pander! Ron How allocated from Wimbledon Jimmy Gooch, Jimmy Heard Geoff Chandler, Stan Stevens, with youndters Jon Bishop and Eddie Reeves, son of Reg Reeves. 4th was as good as they could have expected.

Long Eaton Archers -

Why oh Why did Willie go there! Ray Wilson apart it wasn't until 66/7 that The Archers were a force with Michaneck and Boulger appearing along with Graham Plant. But in 65 Raymond Wilsonarrived in force. Ray Cresp and Norman Storer were support....along with a certain Kid Bodie! (Howard Cole) but out side of these 4 the tail was really long.

Ken Adams, Clive Hitch, Ray Sharp, Jon Mills, and Roy Malskaitis were all given chances.

Edinburgh Monarchs -

Ahhh Meadowbank. The Monarch should have been better than they were. But this was the days before Bernt Persson and Reider Eide. George Hunter was the main man with Doug Templeton Colin McKee, Henry Harrdfeldt, Alf Wells, Bill Landels, Kevin Thorpie good old Haggis Bert Harkins and some Aussie named Nickisson who I never did see.

A good time for Speedway at the Dawn of a new era that went through until 1976 with the start of the four valve bikes era.

An era where speedway was getting good crowds and growing. In 68 the British League Division Two was formed. Later to get it own identity as the New National League and then just the National League. The likes of PC the Mortons, John Davis, John Louis, Mike the Bike Lee and many more progressed via that era.

For the Record British League Table

1 West Ham 47

2 Wimbledon 46

3 COVENTRY 40

4 Oxford 40

5 Halifax 39

6 Newport 38

7 Wolverhampton 37

8 Hackney 37

9 Exeter 36

10 Poole 35

11 Sheffield 34

12 Newcastle 33

13 Glasgow 31

14 Belle Vue 30

15 Swindon 28

16 Cradley 23

17 Edinburgh 22

18 Long Eaton 14

Hope this brings back GOOD memories

Edited by Bee

1965 always brings back good memories to me, being a West Ham supporter at the time. :D

Thanks for the memories, Bee (and for Hurri-Ken!).

Interesting to see the Swindon team there as it's almost identical to the side that won the league 2 years later. It was obviously a young team and struggled, but it was allowed to mature into a great side over a couple of seasons.

That just wouldn't happen these days. It would have no doubt been chopped and changed over the season and even more so over the following winter. Maybe there is a lesson there for impatient promoters (& supporters).

Bee, the Wasps finished 4th in the 1964 PL and were KO Cup winners.They couldn't take over the Southampton licence as they were actually refused a licence to run by the SCB(not you Shawn!),so had the PL not run "black" Newport would not have opened in '64.

BTW I think Vandenberg was an Aussie.

Bee just two corrections to your Sheffield team, it was Clive Featherby who rode for this team, his son was Craig sadly killed riding for Milton Keynes i think at Peterborough. David Crane was in fact Cyril Cranes nephew.

Edinburgh - Ken Thorpie actually Kevin Torpie and Ross Nickisson who was an Australian and not a foreigner at all :D:)

Glasgow actually were the first team to lead the league when the first official table came out, after early away points at Halifax(draw),Belle Vue(win) and Edinburgh(win).

Injuries took their toll and we lost a number of home matches,including the KOC semi-final to West Ham.

Bee, the Wasps finished 4th in the 1964 PL and were KO Cup winners.They couldn't take over the Southampton licence as they were actually refused a licence to run by the SCB(not you Shawn!),so had the PL not run "black" Newport would not have opened in '64.

BTW I think Vandenberg was an Aussie.

Thanks for that. Being a National League man in 64 I wasn't aware of all the Provincial teams or going's on. My first trip to Somerton wasn't until the 70's.

Edinburgh - Ken Thorpie actually Kevin Torpie and Ross Nickisson who was an Australian and not a foreigner at all :D:)

Corrected. Thanks memory isn't what it was.

Oxford Cheetahs -

They did well. Good solid team. Led by THE GREAT DANE Arne Pander! Ron How allocated from Wimbledon  Jimmy Gooch, Jimmy Heard Geoff Chandler, Stan Stevens,  with youndters Jon Bishop and Eddie Reeves, son of Reg Reeves. 4th was as good as they could have expected.

Actually, very top heavy team, with three 10.00+ men (Pander, How and Gooch), but no back-up, after rider control took away Genz, Gooddy and Geran from the 1964 treble winning team. But still on course to win the 1965 British League until How was injured riding for GB against the Russians, and without guests or R/R (not available that year), Pander & Gooch could not carry the rest of the team, they lost to fellow contenders Wimbledon & West Ham at home and Oxford ended up fourth, having led at mid-season.

All the best

Rob

P.S. Ron How was not allocated from Wimbledon for 1965. He had been signed from Wimbledon prior to the 1964 season.

Edited by robpeasley

1965 always brings back good memories to me, being a West Ham supporter at the time. :D

That was a superb West Ham team, Norbold.

I saw them that year at Meadowbank. Apart from the tremendous talen of Hurri-Ken and the spectacle of Harrfeldt (whose brother, Henry, was riding for Monarchs around then) we were treated to a spectacular wind-up performace from Big Dave Lanning - he of "high wide and handsome" fame!

Add to that the inevitable centre-green responses from Ian Hoskins and you had not only a cracking match, but a great show as well.

Do you think we'll ever get back to these days?

Ah those where the days!

My first season and what a season London cup KO cup and League (all down hill after that):oops:

It was a great season wasn't it CHK? The highlights for me were beating Wimbledon in the KO Cup on the afternoon that Malcolm Simmons became a star and the final victory at Cradley Heath that gave us the League. Oh, yes, happy memories.

Edinburgh - Ross Nickisson who was an Australian and not a foreigner at all :D:)

I'm looking hard at a map of the UK and I just can't see Australia on it anywhere - can you help? :wink::wink: