British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kent

Iwade

Guest kent

Anybody know what riders started out at Iwade when Barry Thomas was running the training track.

The first three in the first open meeting that took place there were: Paul Dowdall, Rocky Coutts and Mick Camier.

The 1975 Iwade Junior team included Dave Ross, Paul Dowdall, Gary Keown, Ray Allen, Kevin Garcia, Roy Barwick, Paul Heller and Alan Diprose.

Other early riders there were Pip Austen, Colin Clark, Fred Stubberfield, Brendan Shillito, John Douglas, Duane Kent, Dave Basson, Dave Cullen, Steve Davey and Nigel Sparshott.

In 1983, the Thomases (Barry and his brother Ivor) organised the juniors in to teams called The Mustangs, the Shires, The Stallions and the Colts, Riders included Ray Morton and Chris Mulverhill (Mustangs), Paul Whittaker and Mark Fordham (Shires), Terry Mussett and Paul Tillman (Stallions) and Paul Muchene and someone called Mark Loram (Colts). Andy Galvin also had some of his early experience at the track.

Well, I can help you out with some, but I expect you know those as well as me!

As for the others...Perhaps Bryn might know?

Chris Mulvihill had spells at Eastbourne and Boston. Didn't Mick Cmier switch to road racing and isn't he related to current British Championship rider Leon Camier.

Wasn't Nigel Sparshott killed in a car crash a few years back?

Yes he was.

Mark Loram went on to become World Champion in 2000 :approve: Shame on not one of you remembering that :wink:

Paul Dowdall and Rocky Coutts were juniors at Wimbledon in 1973,maybe earlier.Pip Austin as well,so they wouldn`t have started in '75.In fact Dowdall at least had made a few appearances for the Dons by then

I have heard and saw Barry Thomas ride but never heard of a brother Ivor, did he ever ride.

Mark Loram went on to become World Champion in 2000 :approve: Shame on not one of you remembering that :wink:

I knew I'd heard of him somewhere... ;)

Is that Mark Law-rum or Mark Lur- ram! :D

Guest kingsmead

hi saw barney who told me gary keown sadly passed away

hi saw barney who told me gary keown sadly passed away

I'm shocked and saddened by this news - he couldn't have been very old.

RIP Gary