British Speedway Forum
Matt Davis

British League Riders Championship

Just watch this meeting on tape and it was just said that the banking was 6FT higher on the outside than on the inside! :shock::shock:

Is that true?! Thats some pretty steep banking, anyway know how high the Exeter banking is for example?

PS - What an awsome track! B)

Edited by Matt Davis

Bradford was an awesome track ... and sorely missed in speedway

if you can get other videos well worth it ... world finals on video from there are a must

if you can get other videos well worth it ... world finals on video from there are a must

Yeah Steve i have been hunting for Bradford tapes and came across this one on sale on ebay, from an old poster on here 'therealdl'.

It looks like a great track.. did you ever get to ride it Steve?

Edited by Matt Davis

Just watch this meeting on tape and it was just said that the banking was 6FT higher on the outside than on the inside! :shock:  :shock:

Is that true?! Thats some pretty steep banking, anyway know how high the Exeter banking is for example?

PS - What an awsome track! B)

I never visited the Shay, but I have often wonedered whether the legendary banking there was anything like that at Coatbridge.

Coatbridge had bends which were the closest speedway ever got to the Wall of Death. I don't know what the difference in elevation was from the white line to the fence at the apex of each bend, but it has to have been a long way over six feet. Maybe as much as twelve feet.

Bradford was a fantastic track for racing and I loved the veiwing there too. It was like looking down in to a big bowl. You could also view the pits from practically anywhere as long as you had binoculars of course :P

Coatbridge had bends which were the closest speedway ever got to the Wall of Death.

I can still picture Christer Sjosten using them to his full advantage - awesome to watch. I've got to agree that Coatbridge must surely be the steepest banked track there has ever been.

Coatbridge had bends which were the closest speedway ever got to the Wall of Death. I don't know what the difference in elevation was from the white line to the fence at the apex of each bend, but it has to have been a long way over six feet. Maybe as much as twelve feet.

:blink::rolleyes: Ian you dont also like fishing :wink::lol:

Sorry CHK, I don't understand the reference to fishing. I'm probably being a bit dense this morning as it's Friday and the week has taken its toll.

As it happens I used to have a minor interest in activities of a pescatorial nature, but not any more; I do however consume fish in some quantity.

or rather the 'fabrication' of size Norbold

I wish bradford was back it was great, 1996 was when sam won it for sheffield when chris louis packed up on last bend.

Must admit that when I first went to Odsal, I was totally thrilled with the banking and the speed of the bikes.

After a while, though, the actual amount of passing seemed to be less than at other tracks, and I longed for a more conventional track where skill was as important as speed.

But then again, maybe that's because I was brought up watching most of my speedway at smaller tracks like Wimbledon, Eastbourne, Poole, Hackney, New Cross, Rye House etc.

strange that really, as i was brought up with Wimbledon, Hackney, Eastbourne, Rye House and totally longed to be near a big fast track ... i always wished i had a track like Hyde Road or Odsal local to me