British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
arnieg

Speedway's Classic Meetings

I've just read through his list of books on Amazon, I had no idea he was so prolific & diverse.................

Come on Norbold, surely you have a free afternoon for the next bestseller........

"Leicester Lions - The Years"

:rolleyes::unsure:

Coming out in June. :approve:

Speedway in Leicester - The Lions Era by Alan Jones. I can't wait as there must surely be some honours listed in this one. :D

The book has been mentioned several times on the Forum. I am writing it with falcace. If you remember we asked some time ago for suggestions for meetings we could use and recently falcace asked for help with finding some programmes.

It won't be out in June though. More like August or September. It will include two meetings from each decade from the 20s to the 00s plus two 'wild cards' to make up 20 chapters.

Had an e-mail from 'FalcAce' and I'm going to get a credit in this book as I'm providing footage from the 1973 England Sweden Daily Mirror Tournament Final....does that mean I also get a free copy. Can't wait to see my name in print.

I'd like to think he's included the two-leg premiership encounter between Cradley and Belle Vue in 1984(?) Now that was totally classic - PC and Mort overtaking Erik Gundersen and Alan Grahame in the final heat at Belle Vue to lose the match but win the tie on aggregate. Atmosphere totally electric. Great matches!

hopefully the 54 - 54 ENGLAND v USA Durex test match from Wimbledon will be included ... fantastic meeting.

Sorry chaps, I don't think either of those are being included. When you have 20 meetings to choose from 78 years of speedway (not counting the earlier Australian meetings!) you are bound to leave out someone's favourite.

Never mind, there's always volume two.....

What is included, Norbold? :P

As you know I am writing this with falcace. I am doing 20s to 60s; he is doing 70s to date.

My ten are:

1928: First meeting at High Beech

1928/9: First meetings at Belle Vue (Kirkmanshulme Lane and Hyde Road) - bit of a cheat, but you buy one get one free in this chapter.

1930: First England v. Australia Test match

1934: New Cross v. Harringay (London Cup) plus Match Race Championship between Tom Farndon and Vic Huxley

1946: Wembley v. West Ham (London Cup)

1947: Speedway Riders' Championship Second Round at Newcastle

1951: World Championship Final

1957: Norwich v. Belle Vue (Britannia Shield Final)

1961: Edinburgh v. Rayleigh (Provincial League)

1965: Wimbledon v. West Ham (Knock Out Cup)

falcace's are:

1973: Daily Mirror Final

1976: Intercontinental Final

1979: BLRC Final

1980: Halifax v. Hackney

1981: World Championship Final

1983: Newcastle v. Mildenhall

1993: Wolverhampton v. Belle Vue

1999: Polish GP

2004: World Cup Final

I'm not sure what his other 00 is at the moment.

If you want to find out why we chose those matches you'll just have to read the book! :)

p.s. to youngy 105, we only get six complimentary copies between us which leaves us four to give away to people who have helped us. At the last count I think there were something like 27 people who had in some way contributed either with photos, videos, programme covers or reminiscences. That is, of course, not to say you won't be one of the lucky four....

Edit: P.S. to the above, I have just noticed that on another thread on here, falcace was asking for video footage of the 1980 England v. USA meeting at Wimbledon (the one Steve asked about). Maybe he is doing that instead of another 00 match.

I really ought to find out what is going in my own book! :blink:

Edited by norbold

Norbold....i will gladly purchase a copy. As long as my acknowledgement is in there that will do for me. Just glad I could be of assistance.

Got the disc today youngy - thanks mate :D:D:D

I was toying with the 54-54 Eng v USA test, but will probably spike it now to ensure we have a greater variety of riders involved in the book. PC, Penhall, Tiger Louis already get a decent amount of exposure.

AndyM - I remember that one too - although I think you've got your facts mixed up. It was actually Larry Ross and PC that got that last heat 5-1 against Erik Gundersen and Lance King in 83. For some reason Chris Morton was put at no4 that day and scored 15. Erm, I'll get my anorak......

AndyM - I remember that one too - although I think you've got your facts mixed up.  It was actually Larry Ross and PC that got that last heat 5-1 against Erik Gundersen and Lance King in 83.  For some reason Chris Morton was put at no4 that day and scored 15.  Erm, I'll get my anorak......

Thanks for correcting me. My memory isn't flawless, and the programme is buried somewhere deep in the bowels of my garage, so I'll happily take your word for it! Still a great match.

Glad to see you've got the classic 93 Wolves v Aces encounter. Was I hoarse that night!! :D