British Speedway Forum
spin king

Malcom Simmons

I would like to see Simmo, interviewed, I am sure that he would a interesting subject, like his fall out with Poole, and the sudden way he retired.

Simmo would seem like a logical choice to have as a front cover story as he rode throughout the 70's and 80's, only dropping down a division towards the end of his career. Would like to know more about his short experience as a promoter at Lynn.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Simmo is obviously right up there as a prime candidate for the Backtrack front cover, 'main man' treatment. When we spoke at the recent Lynn reunion, he said he enjoyed the magazine and was very much up for an interview, so hopefully that will happen before long...

...Mike Lee is another who says he would welcome an in-depth interview.

In the meantime, the main man for issue 8 is going to be the one and only...Ivan Mauger, who gave us a typically candid and revealing four-hour interview that will probably have to run over two issues.

Tony Mac

As we are going for wish lists, how about Tommy Knudsen, he seems to have disappeared from the scene.

Would be good to hear his views.

Or Gary Gugliemi, now that would be interesting!

Edited by -Howling Gorgon-

what about Dennis Sigalos, and was he really wearing coloured nail polish when he broke his ankle? :D

or Preben Eriksen ... why was he always involved when Kelvin Tatum got injured? :mad:

or Dave Jessup on why he always had an EF in a big meeting :rolleyes:

or Steve Schofield ... one of the best NL riders, a good BL rider and great on the grass and longtrack

or Roger Johns ... great servant to Wimbledon

or Mike Ferreira ... how he could dominate the NL but struggled to progress

What about Steve Hone for being the same age as me and having a wonderful memory for detail like Nail Polish on someones toes :lol::P

Backtrack will continue for years and years so many great riders all worthy of a front cover.

Edited by shazzybird

What about Steve Hone for being the same age as me and having a wonderful memory for detail like Nail Polish on someones toes  :lol:  :P

have a wonderful memory for a lot of things.

but the Dennis Sigalos thing was something that made me laugh as a Wimbledon supporter in the 80s ... we always had trouble with the Ipswich fans that called him 'Siggy' ... we just called him 'Fag'

I would like to see Simmo, interviewed, I am sure that he would a interesting subject, like his fall out with Poole, and the sudden way he retired.

Great idea, I know one person for sure that would buy a copy :D

Or Gary Gugliemi, now that would be interesting!

That would indeed be interesting. a good example of a rider who threw a very promising career away.

I would also like to hear about Ray Wilson one of the top riders in the early 70's who never seems to get the recognition he deserves. (imo)

Ivan Mauger is an excellent choice, as is all the other names that have been mentioned, I look forward to the next edition.

Have to agree with you Howling about Gugliemi, would be a great subject, a truely colourful character.

What about Steve Hone for being the same age as me and having a wonderful memory for detail like Nail Polish on someones toes  :lol:  :P

I can remember that as well - bit worrying being on the same mind level as Mr. Hone :D:wink:

Have to agree with you Howling about Gugliemi, would be a great subject, a truely colourful character.

Yes indeed, his 'contribution' to certain events made me very upset at the time, but hindsight and life experience make you think differently about things.

Gugliemi, really messed up, but payed heavily for it, thats not to condone what he did, but he was not alone amongst riders from that era..........

And as I said, I think he got 4 years in clink & a life ban from the UK for it, believe he payed his dues.

Edited by -Howling Gorgon-