British Speedway Forum

Guest newman
Holta shouldn't be riding for Poland, simple as that. He is not Polish whether he has a Polish passport or not.

Hargreaves shouldn't play for English football NT. Rusedski shouldn't play for GB in Davis Cup.

The question that needs to be asked is 'why is Poland, where the sport is at it's most popular, in the eyes of the people, with so many home born riders available, in need of Holta in the first place?

Just replace Poland, speedway and Holta with England, football and Hargreaves and try to answer yourself.

Hargreaves shouldn't play for English football NT. Rusedski shouldn't play for GB in Davis Cup.

Just replace Poland, speedway and Holta with England, football and Hargreaves and try to answer yourself.

Indeed neither should Rudeski play tennis for GB nor Hargreaves if he is not english nor zola budd or anyone else.

It is a matter of opinion but I think that people should partake in sport for their country of origin whichever country that might be and I have always believed this and always said this.

So my part of the question is answered. Also having been a member of the Polish community for 30 years I believe also that the Poles would much rather a Pole have ridden instead of Holta.

In the play offs look for a Pole riding in place of Holta.

One wonders what team spirit will be like - Holta recently had an altercation with Krzys Kasprzak's brother which resulted in young Robert being banned from speedway for six months!

And the altercation happened while Krzysztof Kasprzak was lying on the track after being shoved into the fence by Holta. But Holta loaned Kasprzak a bike for his last ride tonight, so I guess there's no hard feelings.

In the play offs look for a Pole riding in place of Holta.

I'd expect to see Walasek in the race-off. But I think it'll be Protasiewicz or Kasprzak that'll make way for him.

Edited by Subedei

(...) one former World finalist told me that he would prefer to see Poland finish second if it meant giving an international chance to a young Polish rider.

It wouldn't be Zenon Plech ? Would it ?

Anyway, discussion - as you already mentioned - on whether Rune Holta should, or should not ride for Polish team in the WTC has been going on in Poland for some time now. Opion is divided, although perhaps there are more voices against it.

To me each stick has two ends. Rune will most likely get a world championships medal. His chances of getting permanent wild card for 2006 GP will also increase. So that's one end of a story.On the other hand, Poland with Rune in the team, has the best chances in the last 10 years for getteing at the top of a tree. Who in the next 10 years will ever remember that Holta even rode for Poland. After all, record books will be showing that Poland ( in 2005) won, came second or third.

And that's the end of the story!

cheers

PolskiZuzel

Edited by PolskiZuzel

Listening to Rune's interview tonight it would appear that one of the main motivations for him is to try and ensure he stays on the radar as far as BSI are concerned. Given that they have done away with qualifying for GP series, this is obviously one of the best ways for Rune to make sure that he stays in their thoughts for a permanent slot for next year.

As to why the Poles have picked him... on league form in Sweden and Poland he is one of their top 5 riders simple as that.

It is a matter of opinion but I think that people should partake in sport for their country of origin whichever country that might be and I have always believed this and always said this.

In general, I'd agree. But can you always clearly define 'country of origin'. Suppose you have an Irish mother, an Australian father, was born in India, lived in China for 5 years, then lived in England for the rest of your life. What is your country of origin?

On the subject of Speedway riders, I remember Gordon Kennett once considered riding for Denmark because he kept being overlooked by England, though I don't believe he ever actually went through with it. I think he had a Danish wife.

Lets hope that good old Englishman Kevin Pietersen scores a century against the Aussies.

Holta riding for Poland, doesn't make the sport look daft as it happens in all sports.

if he has a polish passport then i dont see the problem, clearly e has joint nationality, rider on a polish licence would be a farse but if his contry has given him a passport then i dont see a problem

Lets hope that good old Englishman Kevin Pietersen scores a century against the Aussies.

Holta riding for Poland, doesn't make the sport look daft as it happens in all sports.

Doesn't make it right though, in my opinion

Guest Jim Blanchard

There are precedents.

Ronnie Moore was born in Hobart, Tasmania which we all know is part of Australia.

I am sure he rode very successfully in international events for Australia.

He later moved to New Zealand becoming a citizen of that country and that the rest of his international career which included two world championship titles were as a Kiwi.

I suppose the point here is that Holta is a 'rider at Poland's disposal' as he is both a citizen and a Polish licence holder.

As I hinted in my earlier post there is no shortage of talented Polish riders and Holta is going to be under tremendous pressure to perform. Polish speedway fans are not known as a forgiving lot!

I'm not sure whether my role as the speedway reporter for DP (which is published daily in London) gives me that much more insight into the minds of the selectors than anyone else but I think the reason he has been picked is on the strength of his peformances this season for Czestochowa and VMS Elit. He wasn't particularly impressive in the Eskilstuna GP so I personally think his selection is a big risk.

I shall be in Wroclaw for the race off and final so I'll try to speak to some people from the PZM to find out what the justification is. So far there has been little in the way of official comment (although we don't see everything that appears in the Polish press about Speedway - try as we might) other than the announcement first of all that he was in the twelve man squad and then in the team.

Eddie Slater

Speedway Correspondent - Dziennik Polski

www.dziennikpolski.co.uk

Thank you for the detailed answer > much appreciated.

Boy, would Lindback have a hard time finding a track in Brazil :D

I'd expect to see Walasek in the race-off. But I think it'll be Protasiewicz or Kasprzak that'll make way for him.

I think Walasek will get the nod for the race-off.

Edited by tommy

In general, I'd agree. But can you always clearly define 'country of origin'. Suppose you have an Irish mother, an Australian father, was born in India, lived in China for 5 years, then lived in England for the rest of your life. What is your country of origin?

On the subject of Speedway riders, I remember Gordon Kennett once considered riding for Denmark because he kept being overlooked by England, though I don't believe he ever actually went through with it. I think he had a Danish wife.

In these circumstances I believe a person has a choice to make. When that choice is made then they have to stick to it. There will always be anomalies of this nature.

I am thinking more though of those who have definite countries of orign, whose parents are of that nationality, having lived in that country all their lives. Also if the laws of the country of origin have connections to another country > Tasmania and Australia for instance > then it is lawful for the person to represent their country of origin.

In my opinion if that person becomes a citizen of another country and lives there permanently then they are legally entitled to ride for that other country. But how many revert to their country of origin when it suits their purposes??

Kevin Pietersen has at least one English parent, as does Hargreaves so surely they qualifiy as being English!!

Pietersen in particular went to lengths to ensure he was eligible for England!!

In the way some are arguing that he is ineligible for a place in the England cricket side, Loram is ineligible for a place in the Team GB side!! :rolleyes:

However, Rune Holta, as far as i know has no links other than speedway to poland so i have no idea how he can be riding representing them in the world cup! :(

He's a Polish citizen so he has the same rights as any other Pole. I just don't like the fact that he has represented Norway at the highest level, and has switched. It's nothing to do with him, I feel the same in any sport. Who's that long jumper who switched from Britain to Italy? (as an eg)

;)