British Speedway Forum
jblanch69

Internationale

Does anyone remember the first of these events held at Harringay about 1961. It seems with the UK losing the world final at Wembley for the first time ever to Malmo that year. The Internationale was organised to give us here a sudden death event with the top riders in the world taking part.

Living in New Cross I travelled across London by tube with a friend (I was 12). The night was the warmest of the year and the first aid people had to go into the crowd due to people fainting. The meeting ended all square with Ove fundin and Ronnie Moore having to have a re-run, and what a race. They must have passed and re-passed a dozen times with Ove just getting the nod. What a night. The atmosphere, the racing, the heat. Great memories. :) I saw a few other later 'Internationals' at Wimbledon too with Ivan Mauger walking away with few. As good as they were they did not have that 'electric' feel of the first one. Or was it just me? ;-)

Dont hold me to it, but I believe in 73 or 74 the Internationale at Wimbledon which had a runoff between Olsen and Michanek, crowd to the rafters, was as electric as anything I have ever seen, such needle between two equals at the time. 8)

How would it be if Wimbledon ran this meeting now? The alternative World Championship for the many lovers of the one off finals. I wonder how many people would turn out to see that one?

An interesting experiment?

Too young to remember the sixties, but fondly remember going to wimbledon for this meeting in the 1970s. Wasn't this meeting also the token televised speedway in those days? On BBC on Grandstand if i remember. Olsen v Michanek 73-4.....now THAT does bring back memories.

Absolutey full of people, a couple of trumpet players in the stands as well, lots of needle, fantastic atmosphere, never forgotten! The noise was certainly adding to the drama. Cant remember who won but as I said they were both equals at the time, could not have been scripted better. :)

After a bit of research, it was 1973 and Olsen beat Michanek in the run off after both scored 13. Peter collins won it outright in 74.

Thanks, was very cool, remembered the Internationale was one of the most prestigious meetings of the year. Wasn't the body coulour a symbol of the world with lat and 8) lon lines drawn on it? May be wrong, will defer to you on this one DD.

Sandman

Yes you are right about the race-jackets. The Internationale I remember most was when it was won by Trevor Hedge. If memory serves he beat Ivan in a run-off after Ivan had fallen. They tried to revive the meeting as The British Open at White City (won by Sigalos £5K prize) and the following year it was rained off at Plough Lane.

Unfortunately it went the way of so many individual meetings. It was as if the crowds and riders got sick of them. At one point Wimbledon used to hold at least 4 a season...Internationale,Spring Classic,Laurels,Cearns Memorial Shield etc,etc.

I think a big meeting as suggested above would be great but the prize would have to be good to motivate the riders to compete.

the final sentence of the last posting by Salty just about sums up the sport these days

How would it be if Wimbledon ran this meeting now? The alternative World Championship for the many lovers of the one off finals. I wonder how many people would turn out to see that one?

An interesting experiment?

I'd certainly be there - The Internationale brings back many good memories for me - The meeting very often had a better line-up than the World Final and there was always a brilliant atmosphere - It was always considered to be the most prestigeous meeting held in the UK outside of the WC and I see no reason it couldn't reclaim that position - Go for it Wimbledon PLEASE.

Don't think we haven't considered the idea Ladies and Gentlemen.

The first problem we have is the use of Premier and Elite League Riders on a Conference League Track.

It's nice to think, that in the event that this meeting is resurected, so many people seem to consider Wimbledon as the obvious venue.

Once we have staged the GB v Sweden U21 in July, the Board will be considering what else to do with any vacant dates left this Season, and we will give it some thought and consult the governing bodies.

Regards,

# Name Removed #.

Does anyone remember the first of these events held at Harringay about 1961. It seems with the UK losing the world final at Wembley for the first time ever to Malmo that year. The Internationale was organised to give us here a sudden death event with the top riders in the world taking part.

I remember it well, Jim. In fact you can read a bit more about the first Internationale in a forthcoming Wimbledon programme as part of the Norman Chronicle series (The title wasn't my idea - honest!) :D

Guest cheetahhawk

I used to love the Internationale,always good crowds and super atmosphere.I remember the year that Nigel Boocock won it ,we were stood amonsgt a lot of Coventry fans and the noise was louder than Cardiff,it was brilliant. Also the year that Gote Nordin won was pretty noisy too,seemed as though there were Newport fans everywhere that night,1967 if my memory serves me right. :)

1967 if my memory serves me right. :)

What an excellent year that was ;) hey Honey :!: :!:

What an excellent year that was  hey Honey  

couldn't agree more Shazz.... 2 of the forum greats were born in that very year ;)