British Speedway Forum
Puma23

Kangaroos In Speedway League In Britian

...AND Bill Landels

...AND Harold Tapscott

...AND Rusty Wainwright, who indeed rode for St. Austell.

...AND Vic Sage, who rode for Ipswich in 1952.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Shorty Schrimer

which should be Shorty SCHIRMER

Steve

Edited by chunky

...AND Bill Landels

Steve

Bill Landels was born in Scotland and rode for the Monarchs until 1967.

He then emigrated to Australia and never raced in the UK again.

Therefore I would not classify him as an Aussie who rode in the UK.

However to compensate for this loss, add Ray Taaffe, an Aussie who had few outings for Edinburgh in the 90's.

Bill Landels was born in Scotland and rode for the Monarchs until 1967.

He then emigrated to Australia and never raced in the UK again.

Therefore I would not classify him as an Aussie who rode in the UK.

However to compensate for this loss, add Ray Taaffe, an Aussie who had few outings for Edinburgh in the 90's.

I know we had a few arguments about Bill Landels, but now we have definite facts and dates, I PROMISE I WON'T MENTION HIM AGAIN!!!

Actually, I did think of Ray Taaffe; I thought he was an Aussie, but I wasn't sure.

Also, what about Neil Webb who rode some odd matches for Stoke and Edinburgh in 1976 and 77; was he Australian?

Steve

I know we had a few arguments about Bill Landels, but now we have definite facts and dates, I PROMISE I WON'T MENTION HIM AGAIN!!!

Actually, I did think of Ray Taaffe; I thought he was an Aussie, but I wasn't sure.

Also, what about Neil Webb who rode some odd matches for Stoke and Edinburgh in 1976 and 77; was he Australian?

Steve

Yup Neil Webb was an Aussie who rode a few matches for Monarchs right at the start of the Powderhall era.

Surprisingly when I went to USA for 82 World Final he was racing in the minor card at San Bernadino. !!

Australia

Max Pearce - he was the son of Frank Pearce.

I believe Max was involved in a serious - possible fatal accident - in 1948?

And didn't Frank race in Britain pre-1939, possibly for Harringay?

Max Pearce died in Yarmouth Hospital on the morning of 14 July 1948 following injuries suffered in an accident at Yarmouth the night before.

He was lying fourth after a bad start and was trying to make up ground on the straight. His bike wobbled, struck the fence and dragged him across the track.

He came from Melbourne and had only arrived in England a few weeks before. He originally signed for Norwich but was soon transferred to Yarmouth.

He was the second Yarmouth rider that year to lose his life in a riding accident; the first being Reg Craven.

Pearce's accident happened on 13 July in Yarmouth's 13 meeting of the season.

p.s. Frank Pearce didn't ride for Harringay in 1939. I don't know if he rode for anyone else, but I can't find any record of him racing in 1939 in England.

Edited by norbold

Hazy about Frank Pearce in Britain.

Maybe he was earlier than that - perhaps in the early pioneering days.

Thanks for the facts on Max Pearce.

Do you have anything on the other Aussie - Owen Gyles? His accident (may be fatal) would have been very early in 1948. Probably at Bradford or Halifax (did the latter run that year).

Frank Pearce was certainly here in the early days, in 1928 in fact. I'm not sure how many years he was here.

Owen Gyles broke a bone in his neck after falling and being hit by another rider on 27 March 1948 at Bradford. The accident wasn't fatal.

Edited by norbold

Norbold:

Thanks for two very informative replies on Owen Gyles and Max Pearce.

It has dispelled a 'thought in a dark corner of my mind' that Owen Gyles died. I think, however, that the crash ended his speedway career.

Yes, I am now certain that Frank Pearce was a 'pioneer' rider from the very early days.

Yes, I am now certain that Frank Pearce was a 'pioneer' rider from the very early days.

Frank Pearce was one of the finest motorcycle racers of his time. His achievements on the large grasstracks pre-war were outstanding.

Not only was he a member of A. J. Hunting's famous Oronsay group in 1928, but he wrote a lengthy account of that sea journey to England. It was serialised in issues of Speedway News, the name of the Davies Park programme of the day.

Ross Garrigan

Australian Speedway History

http://www.ausm.info/aus_history/ashist_header.htm

Edited by Ross Garrigan

Joe Lasagna not JOEL

Australian.

Raced in Barcelona, Spain 1950. Other Aussies on trip were Peter Moore and Rusty Wainwright.

Visit led by Ted Gibson, and included Dennis Newton, Bill Weston, Fred Probert and Bernie Collyer (all England) and Scotland's Joe 'Whaler' Ferguson.

Lasagna died in a Scottish hospital about three years ago.

Wasn't there a guy from Papua New Guinea racing in the National League in the mid-1970's ? I think his name was McDonald - anyone remembers him ?

And if I remember right there was a second rider from that exotic country over at the same time, but he rode in second halfs only. (Can't remember his name)

Wasn't there a guy from Papua New Guinea racing in the National League in the mid-1970's ? I think his name was McDonald - anyone remembers him ?

And if I remember right there was a second rider from that exotic country over at the same time, but he rode in second halfs only. (Can't remember his name)

How could you forget Garnet Thistlewaite ? :P