British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

An Open Letter To The Riders At The Elrc

But, in a "wet" race in F1 they usually change the tyres to either intermediates or wets. If they stay on "slicks" they're usually spinning off, even Schumacher, after a couple of turns.

My point stands up against that rather weak statement. Speedway tyres already have a deep cut tread, and F1 tyres are slick (but for the slim groves). Also wet shale has more grip than wet tarmac. F1 cars have more power going through the back wheels than a speedway bike, although the power to weight ratio is said to be similar.

My point was that they slow down to adpat to the conditions, and that visibility is worse than speedway because of the amount of water in the air.

Also wet shale has more grip than wet tarmac. F1 cars have more power going through the back wheels than a speedway bike, although the power to weight ratio is said to be similar.

And your knowledge of asphalt is how extensive?

Edit:

Anyway, Tarnow meeting likely to be delayed while work is carried out on the track.

Edited by Subedei

During the winter, I have been reading through old Speedway magazines (Stars, News & Gazettes) and mention is frequently made of meetings held in wet conditions or while it was raining.

There's whole seasons, when not a single Oxford fixure, home or away was rained off.

And it seems it took a prolonged heavy shower or snow (which seemed quite prevalent in the early season in those days) to call a meeting off.

Obviously the bikes have changed over the years BUT surely if we've got to the stage where drizzle can call off a meeting, then a rethink is needed.

Although, as far as yestersay is concerned, I still place the blame on a weak referee, who allowed himself to be bullied by the riders.

All the best

Rob

2. The Clerk of the Course never said it was unraceable or unrideable as has been quoted on here, only that he thought they were wasting their time, and that the riders had been in agreement. In what context that is I don't know - wasting their time in that they had done all they could? Wasting their time in that the riders weren't going to ride anyway?

What he says on Grachan's clip is that the riders are "in full agreement WITH ME." He also prefaces this by saying "It's really coming down now." It sounds to me as though it is the Clerk of the Course who has decided it's unfit for racing.

2. The Clerk of the Course never said it was unraceable or unrideable as has been quoted on here, only that he thought they were wasting their time, and that the riders had been in agreement. In what context that is I don't know - wasting their time in that they had done all they could? Wasting their time in that the riders weren't going to ride anyway?

the Clerk of the Course says, "the riders are in agreement with me" NOT "I'm in agreement with the riders".

The clerk of the Course and referee are to blame, not the riders!

edit, Norbolds noticed it too!

Edited by SCB

I think that's only the second time we've agreed on something in three years, SCB. So it must be right! :)

The rider of the 50's and 60's would most certainly have ridden, Peter Craven, Malcolm Simmons, Ove Fundin etc  They were genuine hard riding riders who cared about there fans.  It appears that the modern GP riders don't!!

preacherman

Can i just quote from a book i have just finished reading..

"Quite often,if it was anything important and the sky started to get dark,i would more or less say,"Please God let it rain so i can get away and i don't have to ride"

And that was said by arguably the best rider ever,one who you have listed.

I do though remember numerous meetings at Plough Lane in the 70s when sawdust was dumped on the track and the meeting went ahead.Also saw a Denmark v Sweden U21 meeting last year that was a mud fest and the pics i took recieved comments along the lines of "you wouldn't see a meeting run in Britain in those conditions"!(Steve Dixon)

Rabbit, can you confirm one of your earlier posts please? You said the BSPA offered the fans their money back - is that the case, or were you refering to re-admission tickets giving free entry to the re-staging?

Geniuine question.

Well he would say that wouldn't he.

Yes the Cowley track on Friday was far worse that the track at Poole today, but it was a long way from raceable - but that's another story.

We are not actually discussing the meeting at Cowley on Friday, Liesdale.

Steve set up this thread in the [i suspect folorn] hope of rider response to the situation which prevailed at Poole on the occasion of the non-staging of the Elite League Riders Championship which apparently transpired to be the Excessive Lashings of Rainwater Circus.

I witnessed the rebirth of speedway at the end of WWII and have been a supporter ever since, with exception of a couple of seasons following the death of a personal friend on the track. I agree with all Mr Shovlar's comments wholeheartedly and find it regettable that our 'sport' has sunk to this level.

I say in all sincerity that it really saddens me.

Edited by Ludwig_ron_BertHoven

Sorry to tell you Bjarne's bike was packing up on him a lap earlier and he slowed enough for Loram to pass. Sullivan would have more than likely have been passed by Bjarne onif his bike was working properly. It was the slowest ride of the night, 3 seconds off other races.

of course it was :rolleyes: he was interviewd a few races after the heat and he didn't say he had bike problems, just that he would make changes for his next ride

And although we're not talking about at Oxford on Friday, it WAS raceable (20+ passes in 15 heats) which shows that Poole would also have been raceable yesterday, had the referee had stood his ground and told the riders to get back out there.

All the best

Rob

The BSPA could soften the blow by offering fans their admission money back.

but wasn't it the BSPA that gave Kings Lynn either fine or a very stiff talking to when they gave refunds for a meeting called off after 6 heats?

Still no action at Tarnow this afternoon, although they seem to be about to hold a test on the track - 50 minutes after the scheduled start time.

Edit:

Looks like they're ready to go in Tarnow - 1 hour and 20 minutes later than scheduled.

Edited by Subedei

Why are people convinced this is soething new? It's always happened.

The first time I ever went to Swindon was Swindon v Hackney in 1974. Never saw any racing. Sat in the car park with a load of other people. Match was rained off.

I remember in 1975 going to see Oxford v Cradley. It snowed. I thought the track seemed ok. Oxford thought the track seemed ok. Cradley didn't. The all went home and Oxford rode round on their own.

Throughout my entire Speedway life I have watched riders standing around by the pit gate, the referee coming down from the box and the meeting being called off.

It's always happened. It's nothing new. The blame being put on the riders here is just plain ridiculous as the meeting was abandoned by the officials. Not by Jason Crump. It's a regular Speedway occurance and always has been for as long as I can remember.

mr Shovlar - said it all and a whole lot more.

For whome it is to be blamed for the CON yesturday should be taken to task (some say should be hung drawn quartered) and made to look long and hard at what the potential harm they caused yesturday.

Sponsors,tv people, oh and the most important the fans - yes the fans !!

Has anyone at anytime ever really considered the hard cash paying public?

From what i saw yesturday the answer is sadly NO!!