British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

1990 World Final - Bradford

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to compile a complete World Final History, and I have encountered some problems regarding the 1990 Final at Bradford. If anyone has the heat details or CORRECT points table, I would be very grateful if you could be of some assistance.

I have checked www.speedway.org and www.speedway history.com, but neither appear to be correct. Simply put, the problems are :

Heats 1-4 - They show FIVE third places, and THREE lasts.

Heats 5-8 - They show TWO third places, and SIX lasts.

Heats 13-16 - They show FIVE third places, and THREE lasts.

Heats 17-20 - They show THREE third places, and FIVE lasts.

I know that the extra unplaced rides can be accounted for by having less than three finishers, but I really don't know how to explain the extra third places!!! With that in mind, I would like to check the total accuracy of the list.

Thanks,

Steve

Jonsson 3 3 2 2 3

Moran 1 3 3 3 3

Wiltshire 3 3 2 1 3

Nielsen 3 1 3 2 2

Nilsen 2 1 2 3 2

Gustafsson 3 2 3 0 1

Tatum 2 3 0 3 1

Castagna F 2 1 3 2

Miller 2 2 3 1 X

Knight 1 2 1 2 1

Dugard 2 0 1 0 3

Matousek 1 R 0 2 2

Adorjan 1 R 0 1 0

Tesar 0 0 2 0 R

Correy 0 1 X 1 0

Kasper 0 1 1 0 0

i make it 19 3rd places, and 21 last (or unplaced) so only 3 finishers in one race (the 5th round of races, heat 17 - 20)

Edited by stevehone

i make it 19 3rd places, and 21 last (or unplaced) so only 3 finishers in one race (the 5th round of races, heat 17 - 20)

Thanks Steve. I was pretty sure that Miller and Tesar both failed to finish their last race, but the websites apparently had some of the figures transposed.

Steve

In heat 17 Tesar had engine failure and Miller was excluded

I agree with the other figures, quoted by Steve.

And it was a bloody good meeting B)

Slightly clouded judgement (alcohol :P) due to the fact that we took 3 minibuses from Coventry to Sheerness...onto the night ferry to Holland...up to Belgium...day boat to Hull...continuing to Bradford for a pre-meeting game of football and a barbecue :D

Simple journey home though B)

And it was a bloody good meeting  B)

Slightly clouded judgement (alcohol :P) due to the fact that we took 3 minibuses from Coventry to Sheerness...onto the night ferry to Holland...up to Belgium...day boat to Hull...continuing to Bradford for a pre-meeting game of football and a barbecue  :D

Simple journey home though  B)

What the hell were you doing driving from Coventry to Bradford - via Holland and Belgium???

Funnily enough, I was in Belgium that weekend. I was playing in the Belgian Open in Ieper (Ypres), and I drove from there to a friend's house in Tilburg, Holland, where I was staying for a couple of days. I succeeded in getting there just in time for the first heat!

And yes, it was a good meeting; thanks in no small part to Todd...

Steve

What the hell were you doing driving from Coventry to Bradford - via Holland and Belgium???

It must have been an early experimental version of Satnav :wink:

It was a cracking meeting. Always remember chuckling as I got Tatum in the sweepstake and my Mum ended up with some fella by the name of Jonsson who had little chance of winning.

Wasn't smiling quite so much on the way home but it was a good meeting with a deserving winner.

Not sure if it beat the 86 final - I really do miss Odsal sometimes, surely one of the best tracks speedway has ever been raced on.

Guest schumifan
I really do miss Odsal sometimes, surely one of the best tracks speedway has ever been raced on.

But the worst toilets. ;)

Nor Cradley !

Gawd, they were disgusting :blink:

As for our journey to Bradford...we just really fancied making a weekend of it using our favourite ferries. And we had the bonus of travelling back from Europe to the UK with loads of foreign fans.

And I'd definitely do it all again, it was brilliant. The GP journey's have lost a lot now through cheap Euro flights and no more overnight disco boats :(

Steve T,

Yep, Cradley's toilets were the pits!!

1990 World Final? Great racing, although Bradford lacked the atmosphere of Wembley in 1981 or Munich in 1989, both of which were breathtaking nights (even though the racing at Munich was non-existent, barring Roman Matousek's hitch it over the white line ride!!)

Brilliant trip to Blackpool for the 1990 final. A fantastic four days, including paddling on the beach at 3.00am on the night of the final, and a rounders game on the beach in heavy wind using a softball!! :D

All the best

Rob

You people mentioning Odsal's and Cradley's loos were obviously never caught short at The Shay!! :lol:

As you can probably imagine, Bradford World Finals weren't that much of a "big day out" for me. I remember cheering myself hoarse for Shawn Moran in 1990 - one wonders if they would have stripped him of a title/medal had he won...

Steve T,

Yep, Cradley's toilets were the pits!!

You mean you had to pee up the back wheel of a Bike :rolleyes:

As you can probably imagine, Bradford World Finals weren't that much of a "big day out" for me.  I remember cheering myself hoarse for Shawn Moran in 1990 - one wonders if they would have stripped him of a title/medal had he won...

Me too! :) Would've loved him to have won it. Didn't he test positive for some drug in the Overseas Final and it took the authorities months after the actual World Final to punish him?! On seconds thoughts, its probably best he didn't win it. It wouldve taken the sport to previously unchartered areas of farce had he been stripped of the gold medal.

Still, I enjoyed that final. Jonsson/Moran, Jonsson/Nilsen and Gustafsson/Tesar were all cracking heats. :D