British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scarletrider

Keeping Speedway Alive

Recently atempts were made for a team to represent Sunderland at jnr level, which was turned down by a promoter. To quote......."No way am I having a Sunderland team riding here. We can't have any old team riding in speedway" unquote.....Why not !

If the organisers of such teams comply with the nessesary expences, insurance etc, why not ! The home track would gain with their own juniors getting regular run-outs. Surely it would help to keep speedway alive in towns that have lost their own speedway tracks. I would like to see some promoter have lots of different teams take to the track with jnr teams. How good would it be to see the red and white jackets of Sunderland take to the track once again. You could have Crewe, Ellesmere Port, Halifax, Liecester, Romford, Bradford, all lost tracks, the list is endless. Short sighted promoters are seeing to it that speedway is loosing thousands of prospective supporters. Spread the gospel of speedway, stop putting your heads in the sand, less of the "we're all right jack, we have speedway here and that's all that matters"

Well next year it could be gone! I'm tired of those who run speedway taking the attitude "we know best, you'll get what we give you".

It's time to be brave, time to be adventurous, give speedway a big kick up the backside. Glossy magazines and sky coverage on television won't bring in the punters, but speedway for all will at least give it a chance.

Couldn't agree more.

If a tracks CL or reserve League team was called the name of a nearby defunct track or even a place thats never staged speedway before then it would benefit speedway so much more.

This is cause spectators from the places represented by the teams would be enticed to pay entrance money to support them and sponsorship could also come as well. We need more tracks and British speedway would be far more healthy as a result. So in the long term if new tracks were opened due to teams initially running out of other tracks then all the better.

I find it so shortsighted and restrictive that 2nd teams share the ame name as the 1st team cause the 1st team get al the benefits while the 2nd team get drips.

So you think Newport should rename the Mavericks to the Cardiff Dragons? It not going to fool the people of Cardiff, they know they're still Newport as they ride in Newport. Who do you think you're going to fool?

If Newport closed down and in a few years time someone opened up Cardiff and had "Newport Wasps" riding in the second half I'd laugh at them and no way would I support them as my team!

SCB...if you didn't have a team to support for 20 years you'll find you will in fact do the opposite, just to see your colours on track again.

Yes I'd agree that its no an ideal situation but we live in a far from perfect world!

Rye House wouldn't be where they are now if it wern't for the efforts of fans who revived the Rockets in 1999 who then rode most of their matches at Mildenhall with a couple at Eastbourne and King's Lynn. - Len Silver probably wouldn't of reopened Hoddesdon to speedway racing but for the efforts of fans in 1999.

I'd hazard at a guess and say that the efforts of Steve Harland and associates in running a Middlesbrough Bears outfit at 6 heat 2nd half level helped to maintain a level of interest in Teeside that could of helped Chris Van Stratton and Gareth Rogers to make up their minds and seriously consider reopening a track in the area.

Boston nearly managed the same but for the anti speedway atitude of the local council.

The very suceessful 'Club Cradley' outfit of a few years back that ran challenge matches at CL level has no doubt at the time helped to keep the Cradley Heathens name alive with some good publicity.

Why not call the Newport Mavericks the Cardiff Dragons?

- Afterall the team is just run as something of an after thought (Though credit must be given to Newport for running a CL outfit at all). I bet the Mavericks riders struggle to get sponsorship from the Newport area cause any what is there would go to the Wasps team. Calling the team Cardiff would ignite interest in Cardiff and sponsorship and support from the Welsh capital could arise out it. Also I think Cardiff would make a good venue for a League team so the Council could be persuaded to make provisions for a stadium if anyone was about to run a track in Cardiff?

- Rather than take away from Newport I think a track in Cardiff would help Newport to become more suceesful.

The very suceessful 'Club Cradley' outfit of a few years back that ran challenge matches at CL level has no doubt at the time helped to keep the Cradley Heathens name alive with some good publicity.

I remember Southampton competing in a few challenge meetings around 2000/2001. Does anyone know what happened to them? I never heard anything. They just seemed to disappear.

The Southampton outfit of a few years back that ran challenge matches at CL level was run by Dave # Name Removed # who later went onto be part of the Wimbledon promotion and is now team manager of the IoW Islanders.

I believe Mr # Name Removed # looked into finding a site in the Southampton area without any joy. I think someone even asked Southampton FC when they were building the St Marys Stadium if speedway could be accommodated.

Southampton remains to this day since the closure of Bannister Court in the early 60's an untapped potential hotbed for speedway.

Peter I think the gentleman involved revived Wimbledon instead. Think he is the Isle of Wight team manager now. Not sure if he is still interested or will ever pick it up again.

edit.....Beaten to it by 25yearfan..... :D

Edited by Deano

Why do people always stray away from the original thread? ........which is why are some promoters scared of letting jnr teams ride under whatever name, and providing the people organising it come up with the nessesary expenses.....have the courage and forsight to renew interest in speedway at venues where they are without a track to race on. Surely it can only benefit speedway in the long term!

Long gone track names would give extra interest to second halves at a meeting, and extra value, which I think is getting less each year.

I welcome replies, but stick to the thread!.....Some forums are full of one line replies, often as little as one word at times. Have they got nothing better to do, or is it they have simply zilch to contribute to the discussion?

Spread the word, more speedway not less.

I can't answer your question regarding why certain promoters don't want defunct teams racing in second halves, but I can tell you that I have seen a team representing the Crewe Kings race at Buxton. So maybe you should approach promoters who are happy to allow defunct teams to race in second halves.

Taking a different angle on the same theme of "Keeping Speedway alive", I am involved with the team trying to bring back speedway to Hull, and it has become very clear to me that trying to set up a speedway track in an urban or semi urban area is not much short of impossible with the planning and environmental regulations, together with the inevitable forest of objections based on real or imagined fears of what speedway might bring.

Watching GPs / World Cup meetings from Sweden and Poland, I notice that most of the tracks in those countries seem to be located in a rural setting, and I wonder if speedway is to have any kind of secure future here, pehaps that is the way we should go. Of course, like eveything connected with promoting speedway it would be a gamble, but it could lead to speedway clubs owning their own stadiums, or enjoying long lease arrangements with their local councils, and thus a measure of stability. One UK template for this seems to be King's Lynn who own their own stadium, stage a multitude of events there which help to subsidise speedway by generating non-speedway income, and are also heavily involved in their local community.

This would involve a culture change for British fans, who would probably have to accept that they would have to travel greater distances to support their team at home, but if it means club stability and a promise of a more hassle free future, maybe that's a price we must pay.

What do other fans think ?

I think your quite correct Rog.

But theirs no doubt that a track within walking distance from urban population areas stands a much better chance than a track in the middle of nowhere.

King's Lynn you mention, but I know that quite a few KL regulars walk to the stadium from King's Lynn which is only the other side of the Saddlebow roundabout.

King's Lynns near neighbouurs Mildenhall I feel suffer from being stuck out in the middle of nowhere. If Mildenhall was right against Bury St Edmunds, Cambridge or even Norwich then crowds would be quite higher I suspect.

On the same point I was in Edinburgh the other week and paid a visit to their former home the old but still quite good facility Meadowbank stadium which is right in the City. Now I think that if Edinburgh could get back in at Meadowbank (pleny of room inside athletics track now that no football is played there!) which is in Edinburgh with decent stands rather their present home at Armadale which offers basic facilities 20 miles away from Edinburgh then the Monarchs would get much bigger crowds. Though I'm sure the Monarchs promotion have looked into doing this in the past?

With Hull I thought that Craven Park was ideal as it was a very nice place to watch speedway, with only the narrow nature of the track the only down side. But am I right in saying that if the previous promotion would of had the neccessary clout then speedway could of remained at Craven Park because the greyhounds have now gone and the speedway track could have been installed over the old dog track?

If you and associates are looking at out of town/City locations then Hulls old track from the late 40's Haldon would be ideal?

Yes I think that inner City tracks are going to be nearly extinct in future years. Out of town area maybe the only way for speedway tracks to exist?

If Exeter get P/P at the ironicaly called Haldon racecourse then this could lead to othr racecourses looking at installing speedway tracks.

Redcar speedway is situated within a designated moto sports park so this is another avenue that could be fruitful for potential new tracks.

Hulls near neigbours Scunthorpe have their speedway set up situated in an industrial estate which every town and City has.

I think a well run Hull Vikings speedway outfit would be viable.

Good luck!

If you and associates are looking at out of town/City locations then Hulls old track from the late 40's Haldon would be ideal?

I think you mean Hedon.

We've looked at Hedon, the site is too small as much greater car parking is needed now compared to the 1940s, also the houses are creepping ever closer. I think planning would be a problem.

Re Craven Park, the rugby club have widened their pitch, if you installed a speedway track over the former dog track, there would be lack of visibility issue from the main stand because of the stadium design.

As I mentioned, I fear it's going to require a culture change from supporters regarding the distances they will need to travel as speedway in urban areas is definitely under threat.

fair play to Scunthorpe, they've found the ideal spot, I hope they realise how lucky they are !

Edited by RogH.

going back to the cardiff bit for a sec...newport had plans when at somerton park to call a second team cwmbran! :blink: