British Speedway Forum

When Sam Ermolenko did the centre green announcing at Cardiff did he not get all patriotic for Greg Hancock? :rolleyes:

I should think he probably wanted Britain to win though Ken!  :P

Hi Nick, I think we should be called England, just like in 1975-80 when we knew we could win.

Glad Chris is in, but wish we had some rider with home track knowledge. Will be there early, so come and have a chat. :)

Unless things have changed substatially since the last time I cast my eyes over a rule book, it is a meeting PRESENTER who is entitled to be biased. The ANNOUNCER should be impartial. If there is only one person dealing with the microphone at a meeting, and that person is giving details of heats scores, changes to lineups etc, we are entitled to assume that they are the announcer surely? Perhaps the answer would indeed as someone else said to have had a competent announcer in the box (Bryn would, IMO, be an ideal choice) and then either Mike Bennett or the present chap doing centre green presentation, as he clearly has some skill as a presenter.

Frankly it makes not the blindest bit of odds that this other country or that are more biased than the chap was yesterday. There are still countries out there where small children have their hands cut off for nicking apples, but I hope no-one is suggesting that makes it acceptable?! we should be striving to be the best, not simply working on the basis that "others do it so why shouldn't we?". Come on BSI - sort it out before tomorrow.

Could someone please inform this chap that there are four countries on display in these meetings, and that to presume that "Everyone in the stadium" should be getting behind Team GB is disrespectful to the other nations in the extreme.

Could they also please remind him that as an announcer he should remain impartial.

So what...it's hardly a crime! :blink::D

I don't mind him being partizan, after all it hardly stopped the large Polish comntingent enjoying themselves (Poland's poor start was far more of a damper)but what annoyed me is that he kept saying tjhat:

"The line-up for the next heat looks approximately like this..." ;)

No it didn't, it looked exactly like this, infact it was the line-up for the next heat :blink:

)

I thought Kevin did a excellent job, more like he does at eastbourne and far better than he is allowed to do at Cardiff, he is a top guy, maybe a good choice of replacement for Mr Green with Kelvin on sky!

He knows the sport and is clear, and why should he not want England to win, he is English and it's in England.

)

Or a replacement for the screaming, childish Pearson or the bumbling Millard on Sky - or both!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Pollyanna

What sort of joyless doodah has a pop at a GB presenter bringing every advantage they can to our boys? Having been in Poland and Sweden for the semis I can assure you we got a bit of the same.

Kevin is a great asset to the sport and in Eastbourne spoken about in almost hushed tones for the true speedway god he is. When he misses a meeting it makes a hell of difference to the overall show.

I'd have him in a union jack suit with a flag sticking out his head personally. Lets face it, GB are going to need all the help they can get this afternoon.

Kevin Coombes is excellent at Eastbourne ... !!! His lack of knowledge for bends 3/4 is because he is in complete shock having walked on the track and tried to find some dirt.

As for supporting Team GB and getting the crowd behind them sobeit tournament is in England so get used to it !!! You got a Danish track as well.

You got a Danish track as well.

Can you clarify who this was directed at? If me, then I'm English, Not Danish. I just don't like being left to feel embarassed not only at the deplorable conditions at the stadium chosen to host the event, but also at the behaviour of someone who, as meeting ANNOUNCER, should be behaving impartially.

As I said previously - fine, have Coombes (or preferably Mike Bennet who at least has made speedway his business for long enough to know which bend is which) doing the presentation, but get a competent announcer in to fill that role separately. Bryn Williams, Bryan Knights, and I'm sure there are others are capable of doing the job in a calm measured and easy to understand way. Last night Coombes wasn't even giving out gate positions in order, which for those less accustomed to the bizarre way things are sometimes done in speedway, would have been extremely confusing! What people tend to forget is that the two jobs are very different - having the skills to do one does not necessarily mean you are qualified to do the other. IMO this has been amply demonstrated over the past few days.

This year, GB was Host Nation for the world cup. Sadly, we haven't behaved like hosts at all, and I would be surprised if the FIM would not be taking this into account when the venues for the next few years are decided. The hosts should be making all nations present feel welcome, NOT as though they don't deserve to be there.

Sadly, we haven't behaved like hosts at all, and I would be surprised if the FIM would not be taking this into account when the venues for the next few years are decided.

Sadly I think the corporate machine that is BSI will have as much say in venues as the FIM.

Can you clarify who this was directed at? If me, then I'm English, Not Danish. I just don't like being left to feel embarassed not only at the deplorable conditions at the stadium chosen to host the event, but also at the behaviour of someone who, as meeting ANNOUNCER, should be behaving impartially.

As I said previously - fine, have Coombes (or preferably Mike Bennet who at least has made speedway his business for long enough to know which bend is which) doing the presentation, but get a competent announcer in to fill that role separately. Bryn Williams, Bryan Knights, and I'm sure there are others are capable of doing the job in a calm measured and easy to understand way. Last night Coombes wasn't even giving out gate positions in order, which for those less accustomed to the bizarre way things are sometimes done in speedway, would have been extremely confusing! What people tend to forget is that the two jobs are very different - having the skills to do one does not necessarily mean you are qualified to do the other. IMO this has been amply demonstrated over the past few days.

This year, GB was Host Nation for the world cup. Sadly, we haven't behaved like hosts at all, and I would be surprised if the FIM would not be taking this into account when the venues for the next few years are decided. The hosts should be making all nations present feel welcome, NOT as though they don't deserve to be there.

theres always one :rolleyes:

theres always one :rolleyes:

Rather than just posting that, why not try to articulate the thoughts that are clearly clamouring to escape your head? I know it's not easy, but if you tried..... ;)

since when have fim ahd a say in this lately seems bsi are running it all to me

Could someone please inform this chap that there are four countries on display in these meetings, and that to presume that "Everyone in the stadium" should be getting behind Team GB is disrespectful to the other nations in the extreme.

Could they also please remind him that as an announcer he should remain impartial.

Is this post really for real?????

someone might also want to point out to him what numbers the turns  are , he seemed to think turn 3 by the pits was turn no 1? :blink:

Define, please, a bend, a corner, a turn. Seriously what is the difference. Hyde Road Stadium had two bends. The first bend was a few yards from the starting gate [i.e on the home straight]. The second bend - aka the pits bend - was at the end of the back straight.

As a first-aider I had regular contact with the riders, the officials and the staff and never heard any reference to corners or turns.