British Speedway Forum

Does anyone who speaks Danish know what the heck was going on with Pederson and Ole Olsen last night...............Pederson just looked a total idiot (which I think he is)...............but would really like to know what he thought Olsen could do about what was happening.................

IMHO it had nothing to do with getting the race restarted and everything to do with the dummy Pedersen had just spat out.

Seriously, it made for damn good TV for us fans, and bewildering TV for anyone tuning in for the first time.

Seriously, it made for damn good TV for us fans, .....

Really?

I thought it was something that made the sport look more of a circus than usual.

It'll be competing with the wrestling on Sky next: would it have been even better if Nicki had chased Ole around the track, with a folding chair held over his head?

To be honest, if the sport wants to be taken seriously it's maybe going to have to think about restricting TV access to the pits. Hans' reaction could be seen coming a mile off - what did they think was going to happen, sticking the blonde with the microphone under his nose as soon as he returned to the pits?

As for fining riders for swearing on live TV (mooted on another thread), surely the TV companies have to take some responsibility. If they can't / won't, then maybe that responsiibility has to be taken out of their hands.

There are always comparisons made with other sports:

1) would Sky be allowed in the dressing rooms at a Premiership football match to interview a player seconds after he had been sent off?

2) rugby often features "behind the scenes footage" in the dressing rooms - with a camera to show the activity, but without active participation (i.e. an interviewer clambering amongst the players). Maybe that should be looked at: serious coverage of what is part of the preparation, not tabloid coverage.

Edited by bobtasker

Nicki P ought to be very careful - using modern parlance, what goes around comes around. Olsen's not a guy to be messed with. He's no sense of humour, never forgets and will take his revenge in time.

What I couldn't work out was why Nicki P was so troubled about Jonsson's move in their heat - I couldn't see anything wrong with it whatever. Jonsson had the line, had the lead, should've kept the throttle wound on and taken the win. That's what Nicki P would've done in his steel shoe.

To be honest, if the sport wants to be taken seriously it's maybe going to have to think about restricting TV access to the pits. Hans' reaction could be seen coming a mile off - what did they think was going to happen, sticking the blonde with the microphone  under his nose as soon as he returned to the pits?

As for fining riders for swearing on live TV (mooted on another thread), surely the TV companies have to take some responsibility. If they can't / won't, then maybe that responsiibility has to be taken out of their hands.

Very valid points, Bob. I once interviewed a rider, after an unpleasant incident, as soon as he took his helmet off. What came out made for sensational but irresponsible TV. No, other sports do not allow "heat-of-the-moment" access to the competitors and perhaps it is a sign of speedway's insecurity with Sky that they allow it such free rein. I'm sure Sky are delighted and it must add greatly to the short-term appeal of our sport.

Ultimately though it could very easily drag us down to the status of wrestling - viewed as contrived and false, commercially successful in certain markets but with no respect as a sport. Without that respect speedway could be trapped in its own "sportertainment" niche.

Edited by rmc

Really? I thought it was something that made the sport look more of a circus than usual.(...)

(...) To be honest, if the sport wants to be taken seriously it's maybe going to have to think about restricting TV access to the pits. Hans' reaction could be seen coming a mile off - what did they think was going to happen, sticking the blonde with the microphone  under his nose as soon as he returned to the pits?

1) would Sky be allowed in the dressing rooms at a Premiership football match to interview a player seconds after he had been sent off?

Good post !I wish others could see the way you do.

Nicki P ought to be very careful - using modern parlance, what goes around comes around. Olsen's not a guy to be messed with. He's no sense of humour, never forgets and will take his revenge in time.

What I couldn't work out was why Nicki P was so troubled about Jonsson's move in their heat - I couldn't see anything wrong with it whatever. Jonsson had the line, had the lead, should've kept the throttle wound on and taken the win. That's what Nicki P would've done in his steel shoe.

If you have recorded the meeting Subedei, have another look as I think you will find that Nicki's kevlar got hooked around AJ's footrest, he did really well to get clear and still stay on the bike, AJ must have realised this and backed off to allow Nicki 2nd place.

bobtasker I totally agree with you, this sticking a microphone in someone's face is farcical, what will we see next, Sophie running on the track to interview a rider who's just been involved in a crash to ask his view of the incident.The pits is the business end of the team and as such a no go area in the name of 'entertainment'. Just my opinion.

Edited by Badge

Come on people I thought it made for great TV viewing. Maybe if it happened in football we might not view our players as over paid nancies, but ones that play with passion. I thought it was a very well presented match with plenty of heated on track and off track action. My dad who hasn't been to a match out of choice for donkeys years wants to go to Coventry soon on the back of last nights coverage. Every team wanted to win last night, and every team could have up until the last five heats, sky covered that emotion well. Either that or would you be happy with "spiffing attempt at an overtaking manoevre young man, shame you nearly fenced me what!"

What I couldn't work out was why Nicki P was so troubled about Jonsson's move in their heat 

With all due respect my Mongol friend I have to disagree with you here, AJ clearly thought he was at fault hence he slowed down to let NP get on with it, and, while I can only speculate as to what was actually said, in the warm down lap it looked very much like AJ was taking responsibilty for it.

FWIW I think AJ went for a gap and picked up more drive than he wanted which threw him into the side of NP, at the time it looked a bit like the Penhall/Carter straight in LA.

at the time it looked a bit like the Penhall/Carter straight in LA.

I'll ditto that thought, to be honest at the time my heart fell to my boots as I thought Pedersen was going to hit the fence. I think these guys know how to ride bikes better than we give them credit for at times.

it seesm to me that speedway is danger of becoming a TV sport, has it sold its soul to sky? :blink:

.............AJ clearly thought he was at fault hence he slowed down to let NP get on with it, and, while I can only speculate as to what was actually said, in the warm down lap it looked very much like AJ was taking responsibilty for it.
Exactly as I saw it too home straight. Pedersen's thumbs-up to him as they approached the pit gate confirmed it methinks.

The Pedersen/Olsen bit?..............I loved it. So did Pedersen who was caught having a good laugh as he walked away. Were they arguing in Danish?

The Anderson incident was not good though and, whatever he thought of the incident he should be fined for his verbal and physical reaction.

would you be happy with "spiffing attempt at an overtaking manoevre young man, shame you nearly fenced me what!"

:D Nah. Give me blood, guts, (metaphorically speaking of course) and elbows any day. :approve:

I haven't had chance to watch it back on Sky yet, but it looked like the pair were going down hard. From what I've heard they were hooked up, and bumping each other along the straight. Credit both riders for sorting themsleves out, and staying on to complete the race. AJ certainly seemed to offer an apology to Nicki as soon as Nicki turned round to him after the race. It was handshakes all the way down the back straight.

I've also heard that Nicki was laughing as he turned away from Ole. Whatever it was it couldn't have been anything that bothered him that much.

Apparently the referee refused to re-view the incident which got Hans excluded on his monitor, and Nicki wanted Ole Olsen to do something about it, ie talk to the ref. Ole wouldn't though, saying it wouldn't be appropiate as he is also danish to which Nicki voiced the opinion that "Ole never does anything for Denmark, and if it had been the Swedes he would have done it".

I thought it was rather amusing, and the exclusion was an apalling decision so I fully understand why the tempers were flying.

Edited by Liverstam