British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Bydgoszcz Gp Chat Thread

Must add my name to those a bit disappointed in Scott.I am a fan and really thought that especially after his win in the Golden Helmet at Pardubice last year he would have the confidence to take on the top in the GP's.Something isn't working and he needs to really take stock this winter as this "last chance" could be just that, to make the elite. :(

So you don't think Andersen will get through then. I think, although he qualified by right, judging Jagus on tonights performance is a bit like judging Leigh Lanham just on his performances at Arena.

Well how about judging Jagus on his Swedish form where he has the highest average of all the Poles riding in the Elitserien (including Gollob and Hampel).

Ranked sixth overall he is ahead of:

Jonsson

Nicholls

Loram

Zagar

Lindback

B Pedersen

Interesting debate re Scott Nicholls.

I don't think for a moment that its a question of him not trying or being in a comfort zone. For me its a question of is he good enough? I think that Scott has not proved that he is up to it at present. Yes he is British Champion. But by the same logic you could say what about including the Russian or Finnish, or Latvian etc. The fact is that Scott is the natinal champion of a weak speedway nation (in terms of the ability of its riders).

Scotts average sscore over 9 GP's was about 9 points. Hampel's average prior to last night was about 10 and I think he missed one earlier in the season - so the notional points tha Scott might have got in Prague is probably academic.

I also don't think that Cardiff's attendance would be particularly harmed if there was no Brit in the series. After all we have a wild card place for the event and its not as if there has ever been a Brit in the series who has been anywhere near in contention for the GP championship when the circus hits Cardiff. So we would have a Brit to cheer and we would be (as usual) safe in the knowledge that whoever he is, he will fail magnificently! If he were to do well then so much the better.

Scott is the best we have and that sums it up. Who is coming through the ranks? I have a lot of time for Bomber but can you really call him or Simon Stead potential world champions.

The GP's are something of a threat to British Speedway because of the disruption to our league programme and the ability of elite league tracks to run on a Friday or Saturday night - which lets face it are attractive nights to stage events as most people do not have work/school the next day. I reckon that British Promotors would lick their lips at anything that threatens the viability of a 10 round GP series.

The real issue is that the obsession with foreign riders - particularly in the Premier League - means that Britain is virtually incapable of producing genuine world championship contenders. Foreign riders will use the premier/elite leagues but when it no longer suits them we don't see them for dust (e.g. Gollob, Rickardsson, Jonsson etc.). So is it time to raise the drawbridge? Fans only have themselves to blame. Our culture is one of an obsession with success and not good racing. You don't need superstars for good racing. You need properly prepared tracks and riders prepared to race. So what if the are not 'names'? I am of the old 'happiness is 38-40' school and I admit it.

I go to Rye House & Arena Essex and their recent fortunes could not be more different. But look at how they are run. Len's Rye giving British kids a chance which after a few seasons is now bearing fruit whilst Ronnie at Arena has a bunch of on loan (mainly foreign) journeymen.

But if a team loses a few matches everyone gets on the promotors back. look at Waggies last year a Oxford and all the changes to the team. Ridiculous. Len also sticks with his riders and gives them a chance to ride through a lean patch.

Lets not even start going on about the lack of opportunities for juniors such as they have in Poland, Denmark, Sweden etc. in comparison with Britain.

To my mind British speedway needs a complete shake up and for that it needs an independent controlling body able to take longer term strategic decisions and to not have any promotorial vested interests. Frankly I can't see that happening, so I think that we are in for more of the same.

I just hope that British speedway will continue to survive in whatever form as no matter what we all find to moan about - and I'm a guilty as anyone, its still a fantastic sport.

Enjoy your speedway everyone!

Edited by Cheekee Raylee Monkee

I'd just like to say what a brilliant meeting it was last night.

Lots and lots of passing/entertainment for us viewers, one of the best gp's i've ever seen.

I was disappointed scotty couldn't make it but tbh he just didn't have quick enough engines. He lead his last race against gollob and aj but got passed just because he couldn't keep up with there speed.

I think a change of engine tuner is definatly needed now for scotty. His old man has been doing his engines for a long while now but if scotty wants to be the best he has to change tuners.

Anybody have the number for mr karger?!!! :D

I think a change of engine tuner is definatly needed now for scotty. His old man has been doing his engines for a long while now but if scotty wants to be the best he has to change tuners.

And preferrably before tomorrow night please. :)

I'm not into averages & statistics so I'm not sure if Scott's has gone up or down this season (without checking) but it seems to me as if he has been beaten by a lot of the opposition number one's at Brandon this season and has been nowhere near as consistant as he was in 2005.

Wholesale clearout needed (including Havelock!) :P and a re-think of his plans for next season.

It was a very entertaining GP, watching speedway there weekly must be grrreeeeat!

Did you hear the comment that Gollob can just turn up at the Bydgoszcz track and do as many laps as he likes for as long as he likes, we don't have any facilities like that at british GP tracks (erm, there are none!) for british GP riders, at any british tracks for any british riders for that matter, have we? The british boys desparately need tracks where they can learn and do as many laps as needed from an early age, IF ONLY we had a similar set up to Sweden, Poland, Denmark and Australia (to a certain extent).

All those that say Chris Harris is not as good as Nicholls, just stop and ponder for a second. There is one heck of a jump in the stand of equipment needed in the GPs compared with the EL. Would Harris perform better if he had the same amount of sponsorship as Nicholls? Surely if Nicholls were not in the GP and Harris were, a certain amount of sponsorship would go Bombers way.

I agree with Subby, Nicholls has had 3 goes and failed time to give someone else a go, and Harris gets my vote.

All those that say Chris Harris is not as good as Nicholls, just stop and ponder for a second. There is one heck of a jump in the stand of equipment needed in the GPs compared with the EL. Would Harris perform better if he had the same amount of sponsorship as Nicholls? Surely if Nicholls were not in the GP and Harris were, a certain amount of sponsorship would go Bombers way.

I agree with Subby, Nicholls has had 3 goes and failed time to give someone else a go, and Harris gets my vote.

Great post and totally agree.

Bomber deserves the chance and if given it, surely sponsors would follow ?.

Did you hear the comment that Gollob can just turn up at the Bydgoszcz track and do as many laps as he likes for as long as he likes, we don't have any facilities like that at british GP tracks (erm, there are none!) for british GP riders, at any british tracks for any british riders for that matter, have we?

I'm not sure Gollob gets such favourable treatment at Bydgoszcz these days. He's no longer a Polonia Bydgoszcz rider. But your point is valid. Polish clubs have virtual, as they say, 24/7 access to their tracks and it's not unusual for clubs to host practice days and practice meetings - all they have to do is provide fuel and medical facilities.

Nicholls is the best we have, if he dosnt merit a place next year then no other Brit comes close. The GP series is for the best, the finished article, not as a means to bringing on and developing young inexperienced riders like Stead and the others that have been mentioned.

I suspect Scott will be in the GP series next year, not because of his begging bowl but because BSI will have got theirs out and persuaded him, for their own self interest, to take part.

Guest Schumi
I don't think for a moment that its a question of him not trying or being in a comfort zone. For me its a question of is he good enough?

I have to say he's simply outclassed by better riders at the moment. That's not to say he's not the best Brit, just isn't in the same league as Crump, Andersen and Pedersen, etc. Nothing at all to do with his personality, I just don't think he'll ever win a GP, although I'd love to be proved wrong. ;)

Not as a means to bringing on and developing young inexperienced riders like Stead and the others that have been mentioned.

Simon Stead described as "young" and "inexperienced"? I've heard everything now. Stead must be, what, 24-25? That doesn't strike me as being very young.

Nicholls will be there next season, no doubt despite his constant mistakes and promises unfuilled. What was he doing in his 4th ride?

What a GP though! The track looked very slick but I feared the worse but the racing lines and incredible shape of Mecca Zuzel took over. Heat 7 was incredible, Jonsson 4th to 1st, Hampel 1st to 4th to 2nd. Gollob on the Semi-Final! Where was he going? He aimed for row 3 on the first turn, hit the boards. Heat 18 was also superb, Nicholls with his terrible machinery was made to look a fool by Jonsson and Gollob's barge forward.

Jagus was a relevation, hes far better than Chranowski, a superb little rider who I look forward to watching ride. Zagar impressed again, a first visit to Bydgoszcz can be daunting for a young lad. Pedersen untouchable. Gollob, retiring? No! No! No!, Please dont Tomasz, what a racer, what a rider, what a personality.

Jonsson messed up in the semi-final, I like his racing style and desire to win, he's superb, rode like a league meeting, my Uncle reckons he's just like Mike Lee. I am gobsmacked by a tour de force GP. It was like a Speedway orgasm. Made me want to get a train to P'boro ready for Monday's meeting.

Millard what a tool! Final, 'Here Comes Jagus, Jagus, Jagus!'. My reply was 'Hancocks wearing blue, Jagus is wearing red'. Next season's line-up will have some painful cuts, I feel poor Bjarne Pedersen will be the rider to be dropped.

'What A Meeting! What A Night!' as I ran home to my brother to say Millard's phrase from watching it round my Uncles. Sky's other mistake is Why dont be there live? The meeting comes across a whole lot more better when they are there. They are missing an opportunity with Bydgoszcz.

I believe there will be two Brits seeded through to next years series and they will be Nicholls and Bomber :rolleyes:

Loram too old, Richardson lost it, Stead not ready :unsure:

Well I'm pleased to say that the 3 I predicted to be on the podium all made the Final, albeit it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. :D Well done Jagus, it will be interesting to see how he gets on next season because from what I've seen of averages and scores, he's been sensational in Sweden and Poland this year. I hope he can continue his form.

Of course well done to Nicki Pedersen, finishing the year how he started it with a GP win. If only the middle of the season hadn't been a bit of a damp squib. :wink: