British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bazaar3

Who Should Ride For The Uk In The Wtc?

Nicholls, Harris, Rico, Stead, Kennett/Howe

Difficult choice the last 'un both started impressly but even more impressive as been Kennett's Polish form which suggests he's on the 'pace'.

I'd get Bridger, Auty and Woffinden all involved in the set-up. Invite them to Coventry and take them to Poland.

This is the post of a person that should be team manager....... Or is that just because it reflects my own view?...... Now where did i put those blinkers?......

In reponse, I would say Ed's form is currently shooting up and Howe's is slightly faltering and I think scores would be different now on current form and I am sure Ed would score similar, so I would say on averages, they are roughly the same.

I agree that their league form is roughly the same from one week to the next at the moment. You will notice that I have given credit to Ed for his form this season quite a number of times.

Olly Allen IMO is not good enough. I'd rather have Norris.

I can understand that opinion from anyone that doesn't watch him on a regular basis. He's good at home though, and we saw a different side to him on Monday at Monmore. It's not a track he usually goes well on, but he was quick and aggresive. (have you seen the clip on the BSPA website of his race with Howe?) His form is going the right way, and he should be on the reserve list.

Kennett also has the advantage of youth on his side over Howe. We should give more chances of our up and coming riders and I agree that riders like Bridger/Wright should be included in squad set-up.

Howe is hardly an old fart though is he?!! I agree that the younger lads should be involed in some way. Are riders that travel with the 1-5 as reserves allowed to practice? Even that would be very useful experience.

The best way to resolve this IMO for the selection process would be, take the form of riders amd not just in the EL but abroad. See who does what in the British Final(stupidly of course, it not being held at a neutral venue but at Howe's home track ;) ) and pick the best riders for the track and conditions on the day.

Y'see I knew you'd come around. Ed doesn't have a good record at Brandon, and Howe does. It has nothing to do with bias, it's just a case of 'horses for courses'.

With that in mind I wouldn't be afraid to drop a rider if there was a better suited rider for the final (assuming we make it).

Shame on ya, Steve! IMHO the SWC gives you better racing than the GP's

Nothing to do with the racing, Dave. You may well be right, I've not watched a whole WTC meeting to judge. I just don't get excited about international competitions. Not in any sport. You have to be patriotic to enjoy them...and I'm not that ! :P

Plus...with the Finals being held where they are, it looks like another predictable outcome...which also puts me off.

:neutral:

Y'see I knew you'd come around.  Ed doesn't have a good record at Brandon, and Howe does.  It has nothing to do with bias, it's just a case of 'horses for courses'.

Come around?

I would pick neither of them if Loram was fit, although I would say Richardson is certainly not guaranteed a spot like Ed or David.

If you saw how Ed was riding week in, week out from the last month or so, I am sure anyone including Neil would give him a definate chance and personally I don't think Howe has the mentality to ride confidently enough at this level, where I think Ed who is on a real high has.

Time will tell and maybe the only way to settle it is two rides for each. :D

Is there a warm -up test match this season at all .

Are riders that travel with the 1-5 as reserves allowed to practice?

Yes, the whole squad pratices THEN a team is declared. So the best way is to race Howe, Kennett, Allen and Norris (or Screen if you prefer) to see who gets the last place/reserve.

I would pick neither of them if Loram was fit...

I think I can say with some certainty that we'd all have Mark down as a dead-cert.

Time will tell and maybe the only way to settle it is two rides for each. :D

I have a better way to settle it. David Howe is a member, don't know about Ed Kennett. I say we invite them both to state their case, and then let the grand jury (or forum members as they're better known) decide who has madethe best case for a place in the 1-5. :lol::P

Yes, the whole squad pratices THEN a team is declared.  So the best way is to race Howe, Kennett, Allen and Norris (or Screen if you prefer) to see who gets the last place/reserve.

That's the way to do it then. Name as many as you can (is there an upper limit?), and see who looks best at the time. I'd like to see the young lads such as Lewis and James get a chance to be around for practice. Let them see what it's all about.

Blimey - we've got pages of debate about selection of a squad at a time when we're struggling to find enough decent riders to make up the squad. Try and pick the team 30 years ago - there was intense competition among the riders for WTC slots. Someone in form and genuinely world class was bound to get left out, whichever choices were made! Don't try to kid me that we have even a fraction of the selection dilemma now! :rolleyes:

Is there a warm -up test match this season at all .

Heat 1, WTC

I have a better way to settle it.  David Howe is a member, don't know about Ed Kennett.  I say we invite them both to state their case, and then let the grand jury (or forum members as they're better known) decide who has madethe best case for a place in the 1-5.  :lol:  :P

So,is Stevebrum really David Howe? :unsure::P

Guest Schumi

Nicholls, Rico, Stead, Harris, Howe with Kennett as reserve. Sorted. Now let's all go down the pub. B):P

Nicholls, Rico, Stead, Harris, Howe with Kennett as reserve. Sorted. Now let's all go down the pub. B)  :P

Yup 3 pages debating a team that virtually picks itself due to the dearth of riders at that level . :rolleyes:

Well apart from that Scottish team i posted which would wipe the floor with that bunch . :wink:

Edited by Paulco

olli allen at coventry for the first round

Now if you were called "The Know" then I'd believe he was already in :wink:

Surprised in all honesty his name had not been mentioned before even for reserve. He's certainly holding his own at the moment for Eastbourne.

british speedway is just going through a slump

Yep but how much longer is the slump going to go on for :cry:

Yeah, cos then he'd not have a bloody clue!!  As it is, he does!

:rolleyes:

Why don't they get em all up at Coventry and do time trials?

Trees for TEAM GB Manager!!!!!!!! why has this not been done in the past?

I think I can say with some certainty that we'd all have Mark down as a dead-cert.

Must admit with Mark out I'm not all that fussed who rides this year now :cry: Bring out the young pups!

Heat 1, WTC

:lol:

I know . Kevin Little retiring was a blow , but for that we'd be up there challenging .  :P

I agree with you Paul, but don't forget Adam Mckinna was also injured in 1st meeting of season :rolleyes: