British Speedway Forum

I thought the pitcrew thing on skynews was great ..more of this please sky :D

surely a magazine type programme could feature this type of stuff witha studio type chat thing with different guests each week to compliment the live coverage :blink:

alos send a camera to other meeting to give some brief highlights

I listened to the sports news on BBC Television this morning and it mentioned Lewis Hamilton, an obscure golf tourmnament with Brit from Hartlepool winning and an irrelevant 1 day cricket test result.

BUT NOTHING ABOUT A BRIT WINNING THE BRITISH SPEEDWAY GP IN FRONT OF 50000 SPECTATORS!!!!

Shame on you BBC TV and ITV for that matter

Brian Hamilton

Anyone wishing to view continuously updated stories from all aspects of the media can just

CLICK ON THIS

more and more articles are added by the hour and minutes.

One of the benefits of clicking on the above link, apart from the ever increasing articles every hour, is to see the sources of some of them.

Check this glowing report from, of all places, ISRAEL !

Again there is an opportunity to promote the sport with the following request for readers

'Do you think speedway is a procession - or does it turn you on? Leave your comments below or write an article for Sportingo if you prefer.'

Edited by manchesterpaul

Could be wrong but nothing at all here in the land of OZ.

Could be wrong but nothing at all here in the land of OZ.

Well wrong.

One of the first reports on the web in the link i provided in my earlier post was from Australia.

One example of the Australians ones is HERE

Sorry I thought we were talking about the general press here, yes forums and web sites have been going flat out with the news.

Todays national press coverage is the best it has ever been since the 70's. All the nationals carry the story, some with pics. Only the Guardian flopped, doing a couple of paragraphs. The rest did us proud.

If any other rider ( other than Howe or Nicholls had won it, I doubt very much if any space would have been given over at all.

Trouble there was a F1 GP on yesterday and they have such a clout with the media, especially so at the mo with Hamilton doing so well. They are so proffessional they send out a few freebies to the press association and get massive coverage, even if the race is dreadful procession. Speedway can never compete with that.

Most of the reports are almost on the back page which can only be good for the sport. In the Daily Mirror the reporter has written that Bomber comes down to earth tomorrow with a league match in Sweden and then Coventry at home to HULL on Thursday...........surely she has the team name wrong?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/motorsport/2...89520-19390448/

Edited by youngy105

Top prize has to go to Devon based regional daily paper the Western Morning News. Back page has huge photo of Chris holding the trophy accompanied by THIS ARTICLE which continues on an inside page with an action photo and one of Crumpy pouring champagne down Chris's neck :D

Most of the reports are almost on the back page which can only be good for the sport. In the Daily Mirror the reporter has written that Bomber comes down to earth tomorrow with a league match in Sweden and then Coventry at home to HULL on Thursday...........surely she has the team name wrong?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/motorsport/2...89520-19390448/

Just noticed that and was about to comment... he's meant to be in Peterborough, weather permitting! Good quotes in that column in the Mirror - I'm not surprised Bomber had 60 missed calls and dozens of texts!!

Todays national press coverage is the best it has ever been since the 70's. All the nationals carry the story, some with pics. Only the Guardian flopped, doing a couple of paragraphs. The rest did us proud.

If any other rider ( other than Howe or Nicholls had won it, I doubt very much if any space would have been given over at all.

Trouble there was a F1 GP on yesterday and they have such a clout with the media, especially so at the mo with Hamilton doing so well. They are so proffessional they send out a few freebies to the press association and get massive coverage, even if the race is dreadful procession. Speedway can never compete with that.

Much as I have little time for F1 and, as you say, the privileged position they occupy in the national media, on this occasion I think the fact that there was a clash this weekend has helped us.

Certainly, I believe that the Mirror has put the sizeable piece about Chris Harris' victory where they have (inside back cover..) because it fits in nicely with the rest of that two page spread about Lewis Hamilton.

And because Hamilton is doing so well, there's a kind of symmetry in pointing out that in another traditionally British motor sport discipline, we have another young competitor starting to achieve notable results and victories: i.e. Chris Harris.

And, of course, the Mail's piece did draw a parallel between the hugely exciting nature of Chris's Cardiff exploits with the often dull, predictability and thrill-free output of F1..: so we can actually gain much from the comparison too.. :neutral:

Interesting that you mention the '70s. This is because, IMHO, Chris Harris has a style which is very reminiscent of the great Peter Collins. I honestly think that when it comes to interest within the British media in Speedway, we actually need not just a champion, but one with a swash-buckling style. This is what Chris can give us and wins like Saturday's will, I believe, capture the public's imagination.

A plea..: after this, can Sky PLEASE stop peppering their EL coverage with constant references to who gets out the gates wins etc. This has been proven at the highest level to be untrue and we don't need it said!! :angry:

Great reports on Midlands Today (BBC) and Midlands(ITV)

Has Bomber has become the saviour of British Speedway?

There's another curious connection with Peter Collins, Bomber and F1.

When PC was at the peak of his powers in 1976, we also had a high profile British F1 champion in James Hunt.