British Speedway Forum

Agree sadly!

Dont like yours though!

was it done for effect!  :wink:

Is that an opinion? :P

Must make mental note to change my Avatar to a Polish flag should the Ruskies not get through on Thursday. :D

Yes they did, Sky announced twice that the start had been delayed due to crowd trying to get in and they showed the queues outside, racing didn't start until just before 8pm.
Cetainly didn't seem to eb the cse inside the stadium, the parade started at 7.30 and once it was over and Sky had gone and had there break, racing started.

Still, I was at the stadium, what do I know?! :blink::mad:

Well at Cardiff i stood up for both national anthems (Welsh and British/English), even though im Welsh I stood up for both.  Yet there were people sat in fornt of me who made no effort to stand for the Welsh anthem but stood up for the English one.  To me that just shows a lack of respect and common courtesy to be honest.

The English don't have a National anthem ;) God save the Queen is the British anthem and a stupid one at that! What's being patriotic about signing to ask a fairy-tale being to save some old woman?

fisrt chance i`ve had to use the pc since early monday night before the meeting,have to say it was a lot better than saturdays borefest,some good racing ftom about ht 10 onwards,those russians improved all night long,and where the hell did davidsson get his form from.g.b. did`nt look all that troubled by whatever the other nations threw at them,but realistically i just can`t see them winning the final.looking forward to the raceoff on thursday,should be a good meeting.unfortunately i have a complaint to make and i should make it clear,it`s not from me,it`s from mrs.dietbowers a.k.a. the ayatollah.she stated that the meeting came on sky t.v. at 7.00pm and was due to finish at 10.00pm,a fact that she was happy with at the time.however when the start was delayed and it became obvious that it was never going to finish on time,she decided that it was unfair of the speedway to overun by so many minutes and it was my fault as it mean`t she could`nt watch and i quote"my scary ghostie progamme".she of course mean`t medium on the scifi channel at 10.pm. now those sort of programmes don`t frighten one bit,but i must admit to being a tad frightened to go to bed last night,especially when she walked up the stairs muttering something about it was time she relaid the patio(she used to watch brookside).so another night when speedway`s got me in trouble :blink:

Not sure what it was Gemini, it came through to the box as a FORD and a reg number, nothing else, racking my brains and cant think what it would be?

It would only have come through as a Ford and the registration number because that's all I wrote down, thinking I would remember the model. :neutral: I know it began with the letter T and had an X at the end. Looks like I will be searching the internet tomorrow for all models of Ford cars. :lol:

edit..... I've just had a quick look and the mystery is solved. It was a Titanium X. Nice car - daft driver leaving the window open. :P

Edited by Gemini

What's being patriotic about signing to ask a fairy-tale being to save some old woman?

I guess you do have a point there SCB lol I think it is about time we had our very own anthem ...................

I guess you do have a point there SCB lol  I think it is about time we had our very own anthem ...................

and you know where you can stick your chariots :D

I agree totally with that.Some of the stuff one this thread about great meeting!!! B) I did say that would be peoples opinion.Unfortunately i got bored of it after 10 heats and stayed to watch another 5 and it did get better,but not enough for me to stay any longer.GB through,which is great.USA should be made to go through the qualis,like i said a few days ago.That is a disgrace that they field a team like that when others with similar or better have to qualify :angry:

I thought i should post a message after hearing all the talk about the - as you all seem to say "poor" American team.

1. I was a mechanic last night and worked tirelesly - just like all the rest of the USA guys to try and acheive our target of 3rd place. It wasnt through lack of effort that we failed - we are still proud that we turned up and put on a show. The Russian squad as we know are very strong - especially on a track like Coventry.

2. Does any one forget that the problem with the American team at the moment is WHO should be in it!!!!! With only Greg in the GPs, and a total of around 5 other Americans in the league who can you out in the squad?? Most of which are in the Twillights of their careers!!!

This is all down to stupid EU legislation - the fact you can bring in a Pole on a 4.5 average and a yank on an 8 :unsure: and is anyone helping nurture the Americans into the league (apart form CVS, and the Dream team concept)

3. Remember an Americans natural environment is a small track !!!!!!!!

So please, support the Americans

Well well, what a pointless (but thoroughly entertaining) argument. There are no rules about who you support in a speedway match. If you feel a certain way about a certain team then support/don't support them. All you can do is follow your heart.

For me it's Team GB all the way. It's just the way I feel. They do have a Swindon rider in the team though. Would I be more likely to edge towards the Aussies if they never? I doubt it. You never know, though. I bet there are some Swindon fans rooting for Australia because they love Leigh Adams. For me, my only concern with Leigh in the World Cup is that he doesn't get injured.

People talk about the old days of Carter/Lee etc, but British fans get behind the British team a lot more nowadays than they used to. Look at this year's GP. It was a very partisan crowd there. It used to be that almost everyone in the crowd was behind the riders from their own clubs. Coventry fans with Danish flags were the norm when Ole Olsen ride for them. Swindon fans with Aussie flags for Phil Crump. Cradley fans with USA flags. And so on. Bradford fans could never understand why people could support any team from another country. They had mainly British riders in their team.

I've always been one for following the British team though. Talk by a certain glory hunter about British fans and riders being satisfied with second place simply isn't true.

Quite amusing, also, to see people supporting Russia and knocking the British for being satisfied with glorious failure when if anyone is destined for that this year it's Russia.

Quite amusing, also, to see people supporting Russia and knocking the British for being satisfied with glorious failure when if anyone is destined for that this year it's Russia.

Russia will win the entertainment factor tho. To me that's what counts not some jingoistic nonsense about 5 riders on a track all having been born in the same country.

Still if it amuses you, I've performed my deed for the day in making your day more enjoyable :D

Edited by Star Lady

Russia will win the entertainment factor tho. To me that's what counts not some jingoistic nonsense about 5 riders on a track all having been born in the same country.

Still if it amuses you, I've performed my deed for the day in making your day more enjoyable :D

Sorry, I'm not with you. According to your avatar you're supporting Denmark.

so forgive me if i back who i think will win,and cheer them on regardless of which nation that may be.

Trophy hunter :P Bet you support the team thats winning the football league as well :wink:

This is all down to stupid EU legislation - the fact you can bring in a Pole on a 4.5 average and a yank on an 8

And along with aussies on 7's, I agree it's bloody stupid and unfair!!

Sorry, I'm not with you. According to your avatar you're supporting Denmark.

I'm not actually supporting any of them.

My avatar was changed as a protest at being told who I should support. I previously had a Cross of St George as I'm English by birth, it did not signify my support for any team. Please note English, not British :)

Edited by Star Lady

patriotism has been ripped out of the sport anyway ... how can anyone really 'follow' a team that is only in action once or twice a year?

there are no test matches like we used to have, which gave us a chance to follow England and go to different tracks to support them.

now, with the world cup being the only time they race, either there has to be a meeting in England, or people have to go abroad to see their national team, which surely can't be right.

so, one meeting this year in England with the English team ... really makes you feel part of it doesn't it.

and in the GP's ... the racejackets, riders used to be able to be proud of their flag on their chest, now all they get is a 2 inch block in the corner.

i used to go and support England in test matches, in world cup, and in pairs if i could, but now there is no affinity to the team whatsoever for that one meeting per year.

in my opinion, the GP circus has basically ripped the heart out of the sport when it comes to the national team, leaving no dates for any type of series and giving you the chance to support anyone.

If people want to support other nations let them get on with it. Most are just trying to make some sort of point, stirring/trolling (call it what you will), or glory hunting anyway.

The English don't have a National anthem...

Land of Hope and Glory?!! ;)

Cradley fans with USA flags.

Guilty as charged. Well sort of. I don't remember being taken to any Internationals as a kid (so no flag), but on TV I supported The U.S.A. and Den. Bruce and Erik were every kids (and many an adults) fave at Dudley Wood when I was a kid.

And along with aussies on 7's, I agree it's bloody stupid and unfair!!

Do you think it's unfair for the Brits to have an average reduction?

...there are no test matches like we used to have...

No here's something that's worth discussing. If the GP series continues to grow, and if the EL sees a reduction in clubs or meetings there could be an opportunity to bring back the Test Matches and the World Pairs. I'm sure Sky would love to cover Test Matches between Great Britain and Swe/Pol/Den/Aus. The logistics would make it too hard for the Aussies to have home matches, but the rest could be split between home matches and away matches. Of course there'd be an odd match. Perhaps one nation having the extra match one season, and a switch the following season?

This would fill the gaps left by running less league meetings with something other than random challenges, or end of season trophies some riders can't be bothered with.