British Speedway Forum

Rule 15.11.2 states-A Competitor who, once the Green Light has been switched on, fails to start, retires from (which includes not proceeding under power when the race was stopped) or is excluded from a race that has been ordered to be re-run shall be ineligible to take part in the re-run and shall not be replaced.

In my interpretation of the rule the word PROCEEDING is vital-Harris was not proceeding at the time he was on the deck.

Just watched the meeting on tape. Like two separate meetings at two different venues. The first 5 heats were absolutely shocking, embarrassing to watch, god forbid anyone tuning into speedway for the first time. When the track was worked on i thought the racing was quite good. If Buster Chapman held his hands up and said it was his fault, then credit to him. How many other promoters would have done this ? Think about it, would yours ? One thing i am disappointed about is the line up. No disrespect but i dont expect to see ANY Premier League riders in the Elite League Riders Championship. So will the track reserves for the PLRC at Swindon be Charlie Gjedde and Andrew Moore then ? Only in Speedway. Only ten teams in the EL but no Belle Vue rider, why was Screen absent ?, excuse me if he's injured but why wasn't he replaced by the next Aces rider in the averages. The credibility of this meeting needs bringing back, it's supposed to be a blue riband event.

P.S Floppy's comment after heat 5 i think ? About watching it and it ' feels like i've got a concussion !', cracked me up, this guys the best thing about the Sky commentary.

Edited by Philip Addison

Rule 15.11.2 states-A Competitor who, once the Green Light has been switched on, fails to start, retires from (which includes not proceeding under power when the race was stopped) or is excluded from a race that has been ordered to be re-run shall be ineligible to take part in the re-run and shall not be replaced.

In my interpretation of the rule the word PROCEEDING is vital-Harris was not proceeding at the time he was on the deck.

Harris certainly wasn't proceeding when the red light was on, so, I was wrong on that one too. Correctly excluded along with Lindgren.

Ref was still wrong regarding Hans's clash with Topinka though

disgusted by the amenities

Not enough loo roll for you? :D

No disrespect but i dont expect to see ANY Premier League riders in the Elite League Riders Championship.

To be fair though, Tomas was really the only one, seeings though Millsy's been lining up for Arena Essex a few times recently. Including tonight. :D

Edited by shooting star

They must have got Tomas Topinka race jacket made rather quickly...Im sure it had Money Centre on it with a number 5. ;) ..What did Millsey have on his ??

Even more so for Troy when it appears he was on borrowed machinery. Not bad when you consider he only lost out getting to the semis on KK's win over him.

Edited to add: full story here  :D

Agree Troy put in a good performance, even better than I thought now knowing he was on borrowed equipment .

Certainly a rider who with normal luck should go far in the sport .

Well as Troy Borrowed Trevor Hardings engine, i would have though it would have been nicely set up for Saddlebow ... :rolleyes:

They must have got Tomas Topinka race jacket  made rather quickly...Im sure it had Money Centre on it with  a number 5.  ;) ..What did Millsey have on his ??

A load of wet mud from the three riders in front of him ;)

A load of wet mud from the three riders in front of him

As opposed to dry mud then? :blink:

Anyway he did as well as Ippo's no1 so not too bad really.... :D

Only ten teams in the EL but no Belle Vue rider, why was Screen absent ?, excuse me if he's injured but why wasn't he replaced by the next Aces rider in the averages. The credibility of this meeting needs bringing back, it's supposed to be a blue riband event.

Joe was not able to compete in heat 15 at BV on Wednesday as he had hurt his neck - an injury he was already carrying. I would guess that Stead is next in the averages, but he also had to withdraw, this time after only three rides. Next would be Kevin Doolan who was booked to ride in Sweden on Thursday, then Wrighty who was riding for Workington at IOW. Then comes Adam Skornicki who was probably home in Poland and Billy Forsberg who was also riding in Sweden. Next is Lindback who is injured after his fall at the GP on Saturday. So that leaves the other double upper, Ben Wilson and the number 8, Joel Parsons who were both riding for Sheffield.

Nope - still can't work out why no one from BV :lol:

:P  :D

It's all been said already, a sorry state for the first 5 heats  and BFD, I suggest you get a copy then come back on here and make that post, it was not "bad" speedway is was NOT speedway. the riders were NOT sliding so were being made to look like people having their first rides at a training school.  I could have given them a run for their money as there was no skill involved, it was luck.  Why else do you think all the riders were out on track demanding the track be worked on?  It was NOT because a few fans on the BSF were having a moan, nor was it because most fans there were moaning, it was because they were not happy!

Some guy made me laugh in the bar , the PL bosy would ahve rode on that you know and not complained, so why was Topinka seen complaining?  Also, if them first 5 heats are what he considers acceptable, I feel sorry for the King's Lynn fans, luckily I know he was an idiot who was trying to get one over on the EL.  The woman with him told him to shut it as she did not wnat to watch that "racing" and the track needed sorting.

BTW, can you say cock on the PA?! :o

SCB, who said anything about bad speedway? More to the point, when are you gonna get Spellcheck? I note that most of the whinges I referred to came well before the meeting started, some folks really have a down on Lynn for reasons best known to themselves, while others expect riders to compete on one leg!

Hey Fat Dave, i've made 79 posts in about two and a half years on here, you have made 2653 in less than a year so I can hardly be accused of wasting space on here can I. :blink:

Once again you miss the point of my post, RR. I would really like to know the rationale of folks who persist in posting during a meeting. I've already worked out the mentality of those who can't resist an opportunity to whine about anything and everything.

SCB, who said anything about bad speedway? More to the point, when are you gonna get Spellcheck? I note that most of the whinges I referred to came well before the meeting started, some folks really have a down on Lynn for reasons best known to themselves, while others expect riders to compete on one leg!

Once again you miss the point of my post, RR. I would really like to know the rationale of folks who persist in posting during a meeting. I've already worked out the mentality of those who can't resist an opportunity to whine about anything and everything.

Just watched my copy of the ELRC. Topinka and Mills? Thought it was the ELRC. No representative from Belle Vue. What a joke. Poor field won by the best rider in the world at the present.

Jonathan Chapman. Yet another fine mess you have got us into. Following on from the 4TT debacle you put this on TV. The first 5 heats were an utter disgrace!

That's the problem with rules - they are all open to interpretation. 'Proceeding' does not mean 'riding' and gives no indication of the speed in which one needs to 'proceed'. At a basic level it just means 'carry on' and Bomber was doing that.

Dictionary definitions of proceed include - 'Travel onward', 'continue', 'to follow a course'. Bomber was doing all of these things. He was continuing with / traveling onward in the process of completing his race, with his bike under power when the race was stopped. The fact that he was not sat on the bike whilst it was under power, or not moving forward at speed, seems largely irrelevant. As does the fact that he fell while proceeding with his race. Certainly if you look at the issue of intent - it is clear Bomber intended to proceed in the race and would have been able to had the race not been stopped.

Another definition of proceed is 'to renew motion or action, as after rest or interruption'. This applies directly in this case. Bomber kept the bike running and was in the process of renewing his motion or action when the race was stopped.

If the word was 'riding' then there could be no issue as Bomber certainly wasn't riding under power when the race was stopped. But, in my opinion he was certainly 'proceeding'. If he had stalled the bike he could not have been proceeding under power either. But he kept the bike running.

So there you go. Still think the exclusion was harsh but, at the end of the day it didn't have any bearing on his superb achievement by the end of the meeting.

See there was a bumper 4000 crowd for the event, be nice if KL donated the profits from the food etc to garry stead and robbo, after all it is profit they didnt expect to make.

Did anyone notice how Sky managed to avoid showing the rider protest about the track??? Thought it was hilarious when the sky guy tried to usher them all back into the pits and Leigh Adams looked at him and marched straight over to Chapman!! Chapman, well what can I say, after watching the re-run on Sky after being there Thursday night, the guy is an idiot, he just seemed to be saying to Adams and N.P that it wasn't his problem and to get on with it, IDIOT!!! I'm not a track curator and I could see there was far too much on the damn track!!