British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Rider Fashion

Nearly certain that Ivan wore black leathers in a World Final as a deliberate ploy to be possibly mistaken for a Russian or Pole. Almost certain it was the 1972 Final as at that time Western riders were almost exclusively wearing coloured leathers.

He may well have worn black leathers at Wembley in 1972, but he definitely wore them in 1969.

Steve

In the 1930s Jack Parker and Bill Pitcher painted the wheels of the bikes so they could know at a glance where each was when team-riding

Up in Scotland there were coloured leathers long ago with Ken le Breton (white), Merv Harding (red), Keith Gurtner (blue) with Willie Ailson wearing his "wasp-striped" jersey.

Down in England Malcolm Craven wore Yellow leathers

Leathers were predominantly black until about 1971/72.  Of course, there had been odd riders such as Nigel Boocock (blue), Mike Broadbanks and Greg Kentwell (red), Alan Cowland and (much earlier) Ken Le Breton (white) who deviated from the norm.  Mauger and Briggs were two of the first riders to sport multi-coloured leathers.

As mentioned, Leicester were among the first to have "team" leathers, back in 1969.  Wimbledon had a sort of team outfit in 1970 or 71 (can't remember which), with leathers which were black, with yellow and red stripes on the arms and legs.

Then there were other teams (West Ham, for example) who kitted the team out in football jerseys.  There were a number of individuals also who often wore these, including Charlie Monk, and Bernt Persson.

Other "individual" tastes included Olle Nygren's white boots, Sture Lindblom's bow tie, and Ken 'Casper' Cameron's unique body colour!

Oh, and talking of fashions, don't forget those riders who wore scarves.  I think Neil Collins was probably the last of that breed.

Steve

Talking of scarves Colin Goad ( ELLE PORT mid 70's) wore the top half of womens tights (around his neck) instead of a scarf for fear of it getting caught in awheel or chain of the bike.

He may well have worn black leathers at Wembley in 1972, but he definitely wore them in 1969.

Steve

Totally agree with you Steve. The point I was making was that by 1972 coloured leathers were more common place and Ivan's wearing of black ones on that night was a deliberate ploy.

Well i have a pic of Olle Nygren in black & white(but they look multi-coloured)in his West Ham days.1969-70(?)

Edit:If you know what i mean :P  :blink:

Olle's leathers Red/White halves, when with West Ham (70 if I recall correctly)

Which brings up an interesting point.When did sponsors find there way onto leathers?Cyril Maidment had sponsorship on his leathers.Elite motors,just round the corner from my grandads house.That must have been around 1970/71

I believe Jimmy Mac was one of the first with a sponsor on leathers.

Smiths crisp I seem to remember.

What about the "Briggo" leathers as I called them, which were mainly red and had very noticeable thin black stripes down the arms. A number of riders wore these as well as Briggo (Martin Ashby, Scott Autrey and Graeme Stapleton were 3 I seem to recall).

If memory serves it was some sort of promotional tie-in, can anyone elaborate???

Bob Kilby plus 1 other whose name seems to evade me.

Recall Ivan's leathers in the early 70's being a bit of a mishmash of styles

and colours. Remember reading an interview with him at the time, his daughter

designed them. Probably explains a lot.

Looking at team pics from the 1969 season, apart from the Leicester team leathers the most noticeable coloured leathers belong to Alan Knapkin, Bruce Cribb, Barry Briggs and John Langfield. A few black with stripes down the side and a good smattering of Rugby/Football shirts (Coatbridge, Newport, Bernie Persson, Jimmy Squibb and the Eastbourne Eagles).

No sign of any sponsors though, apart from Ivan Mauger having Jawa on his shoulders.

Edited by salty

Here's another one. Who was the last rider to still wear a monkey mask rather than full face helmet?

Scott Swain, 2002?

Looking at team pics from the 1969 season, apart from the Leicester team leathers the most noticeable coloured leathers belong to Alan Knapkin, Bruce Cribb, Barry Briggs and John Langfield. A few black with stripes down the side and a good smattering of Rugby/Football shirts (Coatbridge, Newport, Bernie Persson, Jimmy Squibb and the Eastbourne Eagles).

No sign of any sponsors though, apart from Ivan Mauger having Jawa on his shoulders.

Sounds like you've been doing the same as me, probably from the British Speedway Handbook! That's exactly what I found... Actually, I found a couple of pics from 1968 of black leathers with simple stripes.

In response to an earlier post, I can't recall Jimmy Mac being sponsored by Smith's Crisps (but I could be wrong), but I know Brian Collins was sponsored by Smith's in the '70's. Don't forget Ole Olsen and Soda Stream!

Steve

Dewayne Keeter only rode 1 season in British Speedway and that was the previously mentioned 1969 campaign with Leicester when the whole team wore identical coloured leathers.

As chunky has already posted he also wore yellow leathers. These were totally different to the Leicester team leathers.

I'm pretty sure the 1965 Wolves wore orange jerseys and that Poole wore blue/white quartered jerseys

Sounds like you've been doing the same as me, probably from the British Speedway Handbook!  That's exactly what I found...  Actually, I found a couple of pics from 1968 of black leathers with simple stripes.

In response to an earlier post, I can't recall Jimmy Mac being sponsored by Smith's Crisps (but I could be wrong), but I know Brian Collins was sponsored by Smith's in the '70's.  Don't forget Ole Olsen and Soda Stream!

Steve

You're right the Speedway handbook was my source, but I also have acopy of Speedway and Short Track racing by Dave Lanning that shows a 1974 pic of Jim McMillan with the word SMITHS showing on both arms and the old Smiths Crisps logo on his leg.

Regards