British Speedway Forum
Vincent Vega

Memories Of Waterden Road

Think you'll find a new stadium, and the area around it, is going to be used for some kind of athletics thingy (which has already cost the government and, us, the tax payers, too many millions - no, make that billions) around 2012!

It's the site of a new indoor arena for the Olympics.

2 memories to add to the list; one good, one bad. The good one came in the year when Hackney challenged Reading strongly for the League title, the year of the Reading 'insurance' policy. IIRC Hackney had finished bottom of the League two years on the trot, started the season badly and then went to Hull and won to start a tremendous challenge for the title. The key match was against Cradley at Waterden Road and Cradley won by virtue of Bo Petersen being excluded in the penultimate heat. I remember the response of the Hackney fans, they stayed and cheered Cradley on their victory lap of honour. I was very impressed. This was at a time when an adverse refereeing decision would have sparked a riot at any football ground.

The bad memory is the death of Denny Pyeatt, without a doubt the worst thing I've ever seen at speedway

Anybody remember the flintstone!!! TONY FEATHERSTONE.

yes I remember Tony Featherstone, a very polite and well spoken young man, from Boston area I think. a dedicated rider always well prepared. where are you now flintstone??

Thought I should add my two cents worth to this thread.I visited Waterden Road, 4 times in 67 and once in 72.Meeting I recall best -I'm looking at the program now- was Hawks v Dons in BL on JUly 28th 67. Hackney hammered (excuse the pun) the Dons 57-21. I was sort of glad to see it as I thought the Hawks were often the underdogs among the 3 London teams, plus the only one from the old PL. Scorers for Hackney: L.McGillivray 12, a max-and unusual for Les at that stage of his career I thought-,Bengt Jansson 11, Pratt 10,McKee 10, Gerry Jackson 8,Davies 4 Brown 2. For the Dons: Nygren 9,Hedge 4, Luckhurst 4,Cowland 3,Tebby 1, Soderberg 0, Burt 0. Eat your hearts out Dons supporters-the Hackney fans went wild. Anyone else recall this meeting. The thing I recall about the area were all the smells at Carpenters Road from the factories there-what was that anyway-stockyards perhaps??

The good one came in the year when Hackney challenged Reading strongly for the League title, the year of the Reading 'insurance' policy.

1980 ... boy what a year!!

2 memories to add to the list; one good, one bad. The good one came in the year when Hackney challenged Reading strongly for the League title, the year of the Reading 'insurance' policy. IIRC Hackney had finished bottom of the League two years on the trot, started the season badly and then went to Hull and won to start a tremendous challenge for the title. The key match was against Cradley at Waterden Road and Cradley won by virtue of Bo Petersen being excluded in the penultimate heat. I remember the response of the Hackney fans, they stayed and cheered Cradley on their victory lap of honour. I was very impressed. This was at a time when an adverse refereeing decision would have sparked a riot at any football ground.

The bad memory is the death of Denny Pyeatt, without a doubt the worst thing I've ever seen at speedway

Memories. memories

........when Gary Middleton appeared in the pits one wearing a german ss uniform overcoat and jack boots..........Berts workshop, we thought it was full of rubbish bikes then, today they would be worth a fortune..........Finn Thomsen guiding Billy Sanders for a closer inspection of the fence in the run down of a torrid race....Saturday training schools...Mark Terry and his sister both riding..Mike Fitz sponsored by Flashman king of the touts...Buster Chapman we all knew he was going places... fathers and sons...George Bowen and his boy Kevin...the King brothers and Gerry...what characters!!

my most vivid memory of the wick was attending the coldest meeting ever staged in this country!, the golden jubilee in 1978. i was still feeling cold two weeks later!.

my most vivid memory of the wick was attending the coldest meeting ever staged in this country!, the golden jubilee in 1978. i was still feeling cold two weeks later!.

Brass monkey weather that day, I can not remember feeling so bitterly cold at any speedway meeting. the joy was seeing the great Jack Parker ride against simmo.

Hackney, what a place. One of the best nights was Tadpoles & Fenn’s reunion. Awesome night! The old stadium! What a place! The track, second to none, sorry TMC disagree about Belle Vue, Hackney was a far better track. Surprised Mr Tadpole has not been on here. I do understand that Len Silver’s autobiography is due out later this year, what about a reunion launch Tadpole?

Hackney, what a place. One of the best nights was Tadpoles & Fenn’s reunion. Awesome night! The old stadium! What a place! The track, second to none, sorry TMC disagree about Belle Vue, Hackney was a far better track. Surprised Mr Tadpole has not been on here. I do understand that Len Silver’s autobiography is due out later this year, what about a reunion launch Tadpole?

hackney was a great racing track up until 1983. when crayford moved in and they altered the shape and took away some of the banking, it was never as good as before.

Edited by cityrebel

I remember being at this meeting luckily my nan had knitted me a new scarf!, Uncle Ted still has his body colour signed by all the riders hanging on the wall!

yes I remember Tony Featherstone, a very polite and well spoken young man, from Boston area I think. a dedicated rider always well prepared. where are you now flintstone??

Agree Tony Featherstone was a nice guy who always had time for the supporters, shame it didn't work out for him at Hackney; plays bowls competitively now.

The Hackney Gazette would write almost a page + photos twice a week in it's sports section on Speedway; a report on Tuesdays and a review on Fridays. I used to cut them out and stick them into a scrapbook.

I also remember Snowy getting everyone to sponsor Keith White when he got to the Intercontinental Final in 1977.

The 50 year anniversary was one of the most memorable meetings I have been to, the 75 year one was disappointing in comparison.