British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Dave Lanning

Seeing the item on West Ham and the picture of W.Ham 65 made we wonder whether Dave Lanning is still involved with speedway or what is he up to-I guess Dave would be about 65 or 66 now-what a showman.Also I think all the riders in that picture are still with us other than Ken M. and Reg T. , right?

Dave hasn't been actively involved in speedway for several years now, His last real involvement was as announcer at Wimbledon when his son Russell was promoter at Wimbledon in the late 1980's. He's enjoying life in semi-retirement down in Dorset, but occasionally works for Sky TV as a commentator, most notably for darts.

Steve

Dave hasn't been actively involved in speedway for several years now, His last real involvement was as announcer at Wimbledon when his son Russell was promoter at Wimbledon in the late 1980's. He's enjoying life in semi-retirement down in Dorset, but occasionally works for Sky TV as a commentator, most notably for darts.

Steve

That's an interesting point! :rolleyes:

I think he was announcing at Poole's openener this year.

Seem to remember this been mentioned.

He was, co-announcing with Nij, our regular announcer/ Very entertaining actually, especially the bit where he called one of Frank Ebdon's decisions outrageous. :lol:

Dave wasn't manager at West Ham in 65. It was ex rider Tommy Price.

Dave was top commentator on the telly oh how Nigel Pearson could learn form him

Dave was West Ham's Press & Publicity officer in 1965, but he did stand in as manager on occasion. He was manager for the greatest match of all time on 14 August, when West Ham beat Wimbledon in the Knock Out Cup Quarter Final replay.

Edited by norbold

Dave was West Ham's Press & Publicity officer in 1965, but he did stand in as manager on occasion. He was manager for the greatest match of all time on 14 August, when West Ham beat Wimbledon in the Knock Out Cup Quarter Final replay.

He was also team manager that year when West Ham visited Edinburgh. He and Ian Hoskins did a tremendous double-act on the centre green winding each other up. That was in the days when speedway was infinitely more theatrical than it is now.

That was a great West Ham team, incidentally. I think that was the year they had Ken McKinlay and Sverre Harrfeldt.

I think that was the year they had Ken McKinlay and Sverre Harrfeldt.

So was that 1965, 66, 67 or 68? :wink:

I think Ian must be referring to 65 the year they did the double-what was the team now,I think Ken, Sverre, Norman Hunter, Malcom Simmons, Brian Leonard and Ted Ede/Don Smith???Is that right.

Ken McKinlay, Reg Trott, Sverre Harrfeldt, Brian Leonard, Norman Hunter, Malcolm Simmons, Tony Clarke, Ted Ede

Also Ray Wickett, Stan Stevens and of course, Dave Wills, who was tragically killed before he had a chance to make his mark.

Didn't Bobby Dugard also ride for them a couple of times before he quit(1965)

Yes, he rode in two matches and was swapped for Reg Trott (Wimbledon).

Bit of a mistake by our Bob there!

Dave was top commentator on the telly oh how Nigel Pearson could learn form him

yeh i agree, but never mind pearson, what about Tony "some say better late than never, others say better never late" Millard. YAAAAAAWWWWN! Surely there must be other commentators for Sky to choose from??