British Speedway Forum
wimbledonwomble

Gary Middleton

I've managed to track down Garry's niece Bianca. She wrote the following:

"I am sorry i dont have the info you need,heard alot of different stories myself so wouldnt want to quote anything untrue. My brother and i are in the works of finding alot of things out about Garry and our family tree,as my father [garrys bro] and grandmother[garrys mum] have also passed its a little hard..i can keep you informed when i know alot more if you would like? ok thanks."

Well done Peter-is the lady in Australia or UK-fascinating story

Well done Peter-is the lady in Australia or UK-fascinating story

She's in Australia. Adelaide to be more precise.

i remember one time with Gary. he was tellin me he was importin old dc-3 aircraft into africa and makin a killin. so i tried to work a partnership deal with him since i had connections in south america but i made the deal killin mistake of callin him Cass, short for Cassius, which was his nickname, in reference to Muhammed Ali. he looked at me and got angry and said "who do you think you are, that you can call me Cass?" even for me, he was a bit,... eclectic. but, having said that, i liked him. he was very bright for what its worth. its just that we werent exactly buddies. one of a kind for sure, and a pretty good racer when he was on form. and yes i heard the gun in the tool box story at hackney and i reckon its true but cant be sure completely. i am sorry if he did pass tho.

Wasn't there a story about him pointing a gun at somebody in the pits?

Supposedly at Cradley in 1969. It was my first season watching the sport and can remember him being smuggled out of the stadium under a blanket in the back seat of a car. Gary had previously been on the recieving end of Mike Gardner's crash helmet and had allegedly then taken the gun out when he got back to the pits.

Can't do a link I'm afraid, but the Speedway Plus website has posted an update on Gary. Sad news I'm afraid.

So the mystery is finally solved-he died awfully young-was it in fact suicide?? Thanx to all who did the detective work, I've wondered what happened for a long time-did Garry change his name a few times, as it seemed there was another name on the grave besides Middleton.

Thanx to all who did the detective work, I've wondered what happened for a long time-did Garry change his name a few times, as it seemed there was another name on the grave besides Middleton.

Think the fact that it is his stepfather explains that

Does anyone know the circumstances of Gary's death and what he did after leaving speedway?

GARRY was a remarkable character in every sense of the word but was also a very talented and classy rider who could and would achieved so much more had he not been a bit ... well, nuts.

At the time he was riding for Hackney the Speedway Star office was in Temple Chambers, just off Fleet Street in London. Garry visited quite often, sometimes dressed as an airline pilot, sometimes as a German police officer or in various other guises. He would drive through German with fake police id.

He had a few run-ins with Briggo and I think the gun made a number of appearances. On one occasion he tried to mow down Martin Rogers, then promoter at either KL or Leicester, with his Mercedes. Martin all but smashed the windscreen with the umbrella that he carried most of the time, rather like Chaplin and his cane.

Garry contacted us on the day of the 1982 World Final at the LA Coliseum and asked for a pass. Briggo said no. I can remember walking down the slope that acted as the pits towards the track and there was Garry, bold as brass. He had got in okay. He could talk his way out of a cardboard box.

He was also involved in a fraud involving herbal tea, and its 'magical healing qualities,' in the US. Like so many, we lost contact and if the stories of his demise are true it is sad. He was great company at times but his whole life was an act. If only he had taken himself and his unquestionable talent seriously.

Thanks for a fascinating post, Philip. I remember talking to Dave Lanning about him some 10-12 years ago, and even Dave wasn't sure about the rumours. He did admit though, that he was a very difficult man to deal with business-wise. My favourite Speedway Star cover pic is that B&W one from 1969, with Garry leading Clive Hitch. To me, that photo is what real speedway is all about!

Steve

Thanks for a fascinating post, Philip. I remember talking to Dave Lanning about him some 10-12 years ago, and even Dave wasn't sure about the rumours. He did admit though, that he was a very difficult man to deal with business-wise. My favourite Speedway Star cover pic is that B&W one from 1969, with Garry leading Clive Hitch. To me, that photo is what real speedway is all about!

Steve

I have that picture too Chunky also have one of him front cover of s.star with OXFORD with full face helmet on.Good rider got his prized autograph didnt he ride for the Dons and started at Belle vue?

I have that picture too Chunky also have one of him front cover of s.star with OXFORD with full face helmet on.Good rider got his prized autograph didnt he ride for the Dons and started at Belle vue?

Yep, got that one also. I believe Garry actually started at King's Lynn in 1967, before switching to Belle Vue and then Wimbledon. He then rode a handful of matches for Newcastle in early '69 before his career really took off at Hackney.

Steve

Yep, got that one also. I believe Garry actually started at King's Lynn in 1967, before switching to Belle Vue and then Wimbledon. He then rode a handful of matches for Newcastle in early '69 before his career really took off at Hackney.

Steve

Was young when he died ,was very talented he did have a column in the s.star once and sold Mike Lee his first bike.