British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

What Do You Expect On Thursday

24 - 37 - and 56 please.

That's....Sweet & Sour Chicken , Egg Fried Rice and Chicken Chow Mein.

mmmm....

Hahaha, i think i might still get the chinese but i'll probably just go home after work, can't see much to get excited about (or worthwhile), trailing up to my folks' house to watch this i'm afraid!

Hahaha, i think i might still get the chinese but i'll probably just go home after work, can't see much to get excited about (or worthwhile), trailing up to my folks' house to watch this i'm afraid!

It's about time that Betfair introduced a market on how many times Millard will utter the words "Norwegian riding under a Polish licence" on Thursday. (It must be his turn to commentate I'd have though)

Apart from that Sweden and Poland all the way, beyond that just hope GB can be competitive for the first three rounds at least.

It's about time that Betfair introduced a market on how many times Millard will utter the words "Norwegian riding under a Polish licence" on Thursday. (It must be his turn to commentate I'd have though)

Apart from that Sweden and Poland all the way, beyond that just hope GB can be competitive for the first three rounds at least.

First three heats would be nice. :wink:

Right from the start I want to see the riders display some pride in riding for their country. IF the national anthem is played (and yes it is a dirge), at the very least I expect to see all 5 + team manager goldfishing (altho they should at least know the words to the first verse :unsure: . To stand there like bollards implies to the opposition (and everyone else) they have no pride.

Then I expect to see team spirit, whether it's true team spirit or false, matters not. I do not want to see 5 individual riders sitting on their own, heads down. I want to see them talking, patting backs, joking, kicking a*se, anything that implies they are a united unit.

I want to see team talks, huddles of the riders and manager, even if they are actually saying "we look like plonkers doing this", the oppostion will think they are serious.

I want to see Wuffinden and Kennett get all the support they need and deserve. If the don't score, so what, they hopefully will learn from the atmosphere and come back next time better prepared.

I want to see each rider come in from their race, communicating track conditions and idiosyncracies to their team mates not slinking back to his own pit area and sulking.

I want to see the manager in amongst the riders, coaxing, asking questions, giving instructions etc.

I want to see mechanics getting on with their jobs and allowing the riders to focus on the on track action so they can react to ever changing track conditions and hopefully cheering on their team mates.

I would like to see Team GB progress, I have serious doubts that they will, if however they show most of the above it will be a vast improvement on last night and maybe just maybe a small step along the way to becoming a force in World speedway again. Part of being a decent speedway rider is in the mind, maybe by acting like a rider that beleives he can make an impact on the meeting some of Team GB might just become one.

I've made no comments on how to actually ride the bikes, because quite simply if they can't do that for themselves they shouldn't be there, and I wouldn't have a clue and freely admit it.

Not going to read the rest of the thread, no need to SL you've summed it up 100%for me! :approve:

It only can go better for the brits but I belive they will not be racing for a place in the final more third or fourth place.

GO, SWEDEN GO!

cant agree with the above star lady,i wouldn't sing the national anthem if my life depended upon it.

Why don't they play Land of Hope and Glory then, much much better :)

Cos chances are that will be the only line they know! Anyway they wont be playing any of them after last night.

Edited by shazzybird

cant agree with the above star lady,i wouldn't sing the national anthem if my life depended upon it.

Can you sing. :lol:

Just throw in the youngsters. Give them a taste of what's ahead and let's see if youthful exuberance can overcome nerves and expectation. Team GB have absolutely nothing to lose now.

Nichols is still the best GB rider followed by Harris,after those two we should deffo be bringing in fresh blood.For Thursday IMO we should go with

1 Scotty

2 Lewis

3 Eddie

4 Tai

5 Bomber

Personal things aside (ie ability, skill)... he had the same chances. He's beaten the top guys in the past, there was nothing to say he couldn't step it up (like Davidsson does at international level) and beat them again.

But, anyway, my point is that Lynch would've had a lot of explaining to do had either Stead or Allen scored a maximum (or, say, double figures) and then he'd still replaced them.

Maybe Jim told the lads,regardless of your scores i must still use new riders,but the door remains open

In fairness to the riders, the national anthem resembled a recording of deaf children, played on an ancient gramophone!

For 20-34 quid the presentation last night was nothing short of awful, saying that, for half the price it would have been embarrassing. Crap music, terrible announcer and not even a karaoke singer to sing the national anthem.

If the organisers weren't so busy chasing the Yankee dollar, Coventry could have been full last night, which at the very least would have hidden the crumbling terraces, weeds on every corner and on the back straight a paint stripper!

As for Nicholls having no pride? I'm not his greatest fan but even I can see he was very, very annoyed last night. I think (and hope) we will see a different rider on Thursday. As for putting James Wright and the like in? Did you watch the meeting at Belle Vue last week? A meeting that made Stead look Elite Class. Yes build for the future but don't make things even more cringe worthy.

JT.

Well said JT agree with everything. I looked into the pits and at least Scott seemed own and out not like the mediocre British GP 2007 winner on his home track laughing and joking. The presentation, playing of the national anthem etc was really crap. Empty seatin the stands...charge the earth in this ecconomic climate what do they expect

I couldn't fault Olly and he tried his heart out. Bridger and King were mentioned but would they have done better I doubt it.

Sweden surprised me and Davidsson and Nermark for me were much better than I thought they would be.

I expect thursday to be different and nothing short of double points scores from the top three would be acceptable. Take what we can from Eddie and Tai but I have a feeling that as Rye House supporter he will set the place alight.

I hope Olly and Simon are both at Vojens and we live or die as a team

Why don't they play Land of Hope and Glory then, much much better :)

How about JERUSALEM...Ah but we are Team GB or are we? The riders seem to think we are England. Sums us up at the moment we don't even know what our country is called. If I was watching the telly and was Scots or Welsh I would be well miffed.

Seems we should get our name right and build from there :rolleyes:

Stuff the National Anthem!

This is speedway, not a karaoke contest, or pop idol.

I don't give a hoot if they sing, goldfish or dance to the NA.

Just get out there and ride......FAST!

Stuff the National Anthem!

This is speedway, not a karaoke contest, or pop idol.

I don't give a hoot if they sing, goldfish or dance to the NA.

Just get out there and ride......FAST!

That said - why bother with this whole event then.

I accept your point of view but the arguement to that is - they are riding for their Nation therefore that goes along with it.

If it is just speedway meeting then drop this whole competition - they are riding for National pride and for the country. Not individual glory, thats what the GP series is all about.

As it happens the National Anthem used at brandon was absolute pants and it was very hard to get any motivation from it at all. We just looked at each other and said - "What is this?" A very disapointing choice.

But we wont need to worry about an anthem unfortunately. Thursday is in Denmark, therefore the Denmark anthem will be played so no gee-ing the boys up from that Im afraid. And I doubt we will hear it at the end of the meeting either. :(

they are riding for National pride and for the country.

Glad you reminded me of that Sandie cos from the Sky coverage it wasn't exactly obvious :wink:

As it happens the National Anthem used at brandon was absolute pants and it was very hard to get any motivation from it at all. We just looked at each other and said - "What is this?" A very disapointing choice.

Hearing that on the telly , the end of it sounded like the version from Queen's " A Night at the Opera " album . They should have got someone to sing it - like they do at big football matches .

Hope you looked after out BTL btw :wink:

That said - why bother with this whole event then.

I accept your point of view but the arguement to that is - they are riding for their Nation therefore that goes along with it.

If it is just speedway meeting then drop this whole competition - they are riding for National pride and for the country. Not individual glory, thats what the GP series is all about.

But we wont need to worry about an anthem unfortunately. Thursday is in Denmark, therefore the Denmark anthem will be played so no gee-ing the boys up from that Im afraid. And I doubt we will hear it at the end of the meeting either. :(

personally sandie i consider myself english,and have little interest in being politically correct and following team gb