British Speedway Forum

Nicholls is a strange one.

I want it understood most distinctly that I DIDN'T say that.

Wasted trip down but didn't lose any cash because we didn't go in, so obvious it wasn't going to be on so we were in the car park. Manchester to Birmingham for KFC then back again. One of those frustating times when you are driving down knowing there is no chance it will be on but you have to keep going till its called off in case there is that 1% chance the stadium misses the weather. In fact we knew it was off about 10 minutes before the people in the stadium did after a phone call to the the office. Some locals were syaing it should have been called off about 5.30.

QUOTE (Rob B @ Aug 20 2008, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of those frustating times when you are driving down knowing there is no chance it will be on but you have to keep going till its called off in case there is that 1% chance the stadium misses the weather.

Yeah i had that driving to Berwick from Falkirk a couple of months ago for a Redcar meeting, which is 80 odd miles, i'd just got my car, despite the forecast i carried on and it was looking good until about 5 miles from Berwick then the heavens opened and never let up, it turned out to be an expensive chippy but i didn't really mind, before the car, i used to get the train when i travelled so at least i could head back straight away rather than waiting for a train back to Edinburgh!

I actually sat in the car park until i saw the riders vans leaving then i left myself, the funny thing is, it was actually the longest day, you wouldn't think so as my wipers and lights were on the whole way home after leaving Berwick about 6.45, its been a rubbish summer i think we'd all agree!

Its been a rubbish summer i think we'd all agree!

And yet that is the only meeting Waite has lost to the weather.

I'll start by saying that it's a shame for the Birmingham promotion that the meeting has been cancelled.

Now let's move onto the major gripes that the vast majority of people would have had, had the meeting took place.

Firstly, Andersen was nowhere near Perry Barr. His place was to be taken by Troy Batchelor, who was present, indicating that it had been known for some time that he wouldn't have been there. Strange then, that the BSPA and Coventry Speedway told my other half a complete pack of lies this afternoon, and informed several others that he was riding.

Andersen should now, quite rightly, be served with another months ban from British Speedway. He may have wanted to stick two fingers up to the BSPA, but in not confirming his non appearance, the only people he stuck two fingers up to were the paying public, who have universally sided with him over recent goings on. Kick him out of Britain for good.

The same treatment should be handed out to Jonsson and Richardson, whom I joked with by text to a few folks yesterday that they would have no intention of setting foot in Birmingham today. They are both serial 'can't be arsed' qaulifiers for this event, and should both just be booted out of the League.

Nicholls is a strange one. Because he's in such a strop about his poor season, he has undone 15 years of hard work in turning up for these events and giving his all. He's shown a complete lack of regard for the sport in this country and has shown the sport up as a total embarassment. That Englands number one performer can't be bothered to turn up to a couple of show piece events, as he attempts to re-group for a competition that he hasn't got a cat in hells chance of winning, is an utter joke!! Another who should be banned for a month.

Bjarne Pedersen can be excused, as by all accounts he took a bad knock last night.

Anyone who comes on here and says the competition should be scrapped is a complete idiot! The event has become a joke because some of the top earners are so idle and work shy, despite having 4 and half months a year off!!!, to be bothered to give one meeting back to the fans.

Kick the lot of them out to go and chase a meagre £8,000 quid for a GP win!

Show piece events ? based on what ? prize money ? what it means in world speedway ? unless the top riders want to ride in it i is a pointless event ..

And seeing they don't it needs to put to bed .

Show piece events ? based on what ? prize money ? what it means in world speedway ? unless the top riders want to ride in it i is a pointless event ..

And seeing they don't it needs to put to bed .

Not sure what this years prize was, but Pedersen received a new motor for winning last year. Worth a reasonable amount? Still not much to ask for them to give a bit back is it?

As long as British supporters and promoters tolerate being shat on by the top riders, things will remain as they are.

8 grand for winning a GP isn't much, but still riders want to ride in them, when there are clearly only about half a dozen of them capable of winning a round.

And yet that is the only meeting Waite has lost to the weather.

Yeah true!

I want it understood most distinctly that I DIDN'T say that.

I know you didn't but CB252 and you are not alone in having strong views about Nicholls, its just that yours are more extreme than most.

I still cannot believe that he has sacked his long term mechanic who has been unswerving in his loyalty and commitment and who has spent days at a time travelling in support of the rider for minimal reward over a number of years. This has also affected other members of the support team who I have found out tonight are devastated by the shabby treatment.

Edited by SunArisen

I'll start by saying that it's a shame for the Birmingham promotion that the meeting has been cancelled.

Now let's move onto the major gripes that the vast majority of people would have had, had the meeting took place.

Firstly, Andersen was nowhere near Perry Barr. His place was to be taken by Troy Batchelor, who was present, indicating that it had been known for some time that he wouldn't have been there. Strange then, that the BSPA and Coventry Speedway told my other half a complete pack of lies this afternoon, and informed several others that he was riding.

Andersen should now, quite rightly, be served with another months ban from British Speedway. He may have wanted to stick two fingers up to the BSPA, but in not confirming his non appearance, the only people he stuck two fingers up to were the paying public, who have universally sided with him over recent goings on. Kick him out of Britain for good.

The same treatment should be handed out to Jonsson and Richardson, whom I joked with by text to a few folks yesterday that they would have no intention of setting foot in Birmingham today. They are both serial 'can't be arsed' qaulifiers for this event, and should both just be booted out of the League.

Nicholls is a strange one. Because he's in such a strop about his poor season, he has undone 15 years of hard work in turning up for these events and giving his all. He's shown a complete lack of regard for the sport in this country and has shown the sport up as a total embarassment. That Englands number one performer can't be bothered to turn up to a couple of show piece events, as he attempts to re-group for a competition that he hasn't got a cat in hells chance of winning, is an utter joke!! Another who should be banned for a month.

Bjarne Pedersen can be excused, as by all accounts he took a bad knock last night.

Anyone who comes on here and says the competition should be scrapped is a complete idiot! The event has become a joke because some of the top earners are so idle and work shy, despite having 4 and half months a year off!!!, to be bothered to give one meeting back to the fans.

Kick the lot of them out to go and chase a meagre £8,000 quid for a GP win!

Andersen was there but was not riding.

Just got back from a very wet Perry Barr ....we used the entry tickets from the rained off Pairs meeting at Kings Lynn back in April, just like we were told we could. Now, if we had requested a refund back in April we would have got our money back within a couple of weeks. However, tonight a very officious looking lady I assume from the BSPA informed us that we can re-use the tickets for the re-staged ELRC, but if we want a refund we would have to wait until the end of October before we could request it and get our money back. So that would mean that they had everyones £20 who were going to re-use the rained off Pairs tickets for the ELRC from April until October....that's 7 months !!!!

THAT IS HOW MUCH THE BSPA THINK OF THE PAYING FANS, AND I WILL BE PHONING THEM TOMORROW TO TELL THEM EXACTLY WHAT THEY CAN DO WITH THEIR SUPER BL**DY SEVEN MEETINGS IN FUTURE !!!! :angry::angry:

Putting to one side the fact that this meeting was rained off this is another classic case of the sport shooting itself in the foot. What is supposed to be a showpiece event is turned into a farce because of the absence of some of the top attractions. Excuse my ignorance but what rates of pay do the riders get paid for riding in these meetings. Just wondering how it compares to their contracts with their clubs. To be honest I can't see much of a future for the likes of these events purely because only a handful of the riders seem to take it seriously which is a shame. I like one of the previous members can remember going to Belle Vue in the 70/80s and watching meetings which could have doubled for a World Final. Maybe some of the shared events at Premier League level are more successful because you don't get riders competing so much in other countries and in Grand Prix meetings so they have fewer commitments. I know the Pairs at Somerset this year was a cracking meeting. Maybe that is one way to attract the riders, the day after the Cardiff Grand Prix? That was tried a couple of years ago at Swindon. I wasn't there, was it much of a meeting?

troy batchelor arrived at the stadium about 5 mins before it was cancelled as i was sat in the car in the car park and saw him arrive so dont think hed known about it for a long time if you ask me

annoying as it is and i know there are several riders who pick and choose when and where they will turn up

but it doesnt really help to be passing comments about riders when you have no idea why they are missing !!!!

we should be asking what is the point of these meetings ?

the riders dont want them , a lot of the promoters dont want them so frankly why bother

oh the FANS , they might be interested !!

why worry about them , they are the las tpeople to think about

i've just got back home, raining hard there, raining hard down here but not inbetween!! if they had it at swindon or something it would have been on. paid to get in as it was only drizzling when i got there.

don't think i'll be going to the midlands again in a hurry!! :wink:

what happens if you can't make the restaging? can you apply to get a refund?

i've just got back home, raining hard there, raining hard down here but not inbetween!! if they had it at swindon or something it would have been on. paid to get in as it was only drizzling when i got there.

Read post 205 lisa.

Only after the BSPA have earnt some more interest on the moneys they have collected from everyone !!!! some like me who originally paid for the Pairs back in April (see post 205 as dietbowers said )

I will phone them tomorrow if I get time before I go off to Peterborough, hopefully to watch some speedway and not waterfalls and streams on a track. I will let you know how I get on via this thread.