British Speedway Forum

I don't post spin. I post it as I see it. Sure I am defensive when it comes to my club, as would any fan be, but I don't resort to personal abuse which has gone on in this thread.

You know the deadline would have been set by the BSPA MC. Poole have no input there and Matt Ford is not on the MC. If Newport thought they could have got the meeting run on January 4th, they should have applied to run it, or at least asked the Reading promotion to do it on their behalf within the time frame. But they didn't. It seems the whole "lets ask Reading", and the article in the Speedway star was something of an afterthought. A bit of like closing the stable doors after the horse has already bolted.

And of course the meeting is there to be run to make money. Speedway promoters are businessmen and need to make a profit otherwise what would be the point of doing it? The love of the sport? Plenty of fans have been promoters and look what has happened to the majority of those. Being a businessman first and a fan second is the only way to survive in these harsh times. You know as well as anyone else the meeting will be well promoted and Poole speedway will get the best possible field together in the circumstances.

I wish Newport well, even though a small majority of their fans have acted disgracefully and pulled the name of their club through the mud with their abusive posts on here, inflamed by some idiot posting about Matt Ford aplying for the meeting three days after Tim Stone's death. Such posts were bound to incite trouble but luckily the majority saw straight through it.

But you know, as well as many others, that there was no way that Newport could have run this meeting in January. They haven't got through probate and they haven't got a promoter in place as yet. To think this is going to happen in the next month, the promoter becomes ratified with the BSPA and everything woould have been ready for the 4th January is not a realistic goal.

This time next year Newport might well have announced the return of the NYC, and good luck to them when it happens and I hope they have a massive crowd turn up. But this year the decision has been made to let it go elsewhere, and speedway fans throughout the country will be treated to an out of season event.

Outside looking in at what is obviously a very sensitive subject, I can't see that Poole Speedway have done anything out of order or acted with disrespect to anyone. If Newport's return depended upon finances raised through staging the NYC in January then that would be a different matter, I believe this is not the case and that no one representing Newport Speedway is openly protesting about Poole's actions.

Is there more to this that I have overlooked? Apologies in advance if I have.

If not, then good luck to Poole for providing some out of season speedway for fans to enjoy and, at the same time, hopefully making some money from doing so, I'm certain there are several other promoters around the country who wouldn't mind doing exactly the same.

Outside looking in at what is obviously a very sensitive subject, I can't see that Poole Speedway have done anything out of order or acted with disrespect to anyone. If Newport's return depended upon finances raised through staging the NYC in January then that would be a different matter, I believe this is not the case and that no one representing Newport Speedway is openly protesting about Poole's actions.

If not, then good luck to Poole for providing some out of season speedway for fans to enjoy and, at the same time, hopefully making some money from doing so, I'm certain there are several other promoters around the country who wouldn't mind doing exactly the same.

Thanks for making this post as a complete neutral with no vested interest.

I also say good luck to Poole but why does it have to be awarded nearly 3 months before the actual meeting. I am sure it didn't take that long for Bydgoszcz to apply for the German Grand Prix :wink:

I also say good luck to Poole but why does it have to be awarded nearly 3 months before the actual meeting. I am sure it didn't take that long for Bydgoszcz to apply for the German Grand Prix :wink:

To give time for the fans to que up .

Thanks for making this post as a complete neutral with no vested interest.

You not going to thank the people with no vested interest that are against Poole having the meeting?

Actually, don't bother answering that Steve. It's obvious that you are very close to the Poole promotion as was Vince with Newport's previous promotion.

Your right, Matt Ford is a business man, and a damn good one by the way he has made Poole a success. And if he was that good as soon as Tim died he would have spotted a money making opportunity and quite a lucrative one if most of the crowd from the play off final turn up for it as well as some neutral fans.

Just because Matt Ford has told you that he didn't apply for it 3 days after Tim's passing does not make it anymore believable than someone else saying that he did. Matt would have known that the issue would have been delicate so would NEVER admit it.

Whilst you are sticking up for your club and I applaud you for that, it's not the best idea to say that Newport fans acted disgracefully and pulled the name of their club through the mud. I know all your doing is trying to turn the sympathy back to Poole, but most people will see through that also. Your arguement for Poole to stage the meeting should be strong enough without resorting to putting people down.

Like I said before, people are obviously going to very defensive of an event that was risked and then made a year on year success being taken away from their track, especially when the person doing so has died.

I agree with you that if Newport was being bulldozed as we speak then Poole should be staging the meeting without fuss. But the fact is that there are still parties interested in purchasing Newport Speedway and want to run next year and I know they wanted to run this meeting as it would have helped greatly with the rent over the winter. This should have been provisionally agreed at the end of September and then officially agreed at the AGM. I know you are saying that arranging the meeting takes time, but it's a winter meeting, it's not like the riders will be riding elsewhere, 6 weeks would have been more than enough.

Edited by themilkman23

Well from what ive heard matt ford had put in for the nyc 3 days after tim stone died and all the newport fans feel theres no respect for tim stone. If this had happend the other way round im sure the poole fans would feel the same as us.

Well from what ive heard matt ford had put in for the nyc 3 days after tim stone died and all the newport fans feel theres no respect for tim stone. If this had happend the other way round im sure the poole fans would feel the same as us.

And who have you heard that Matt Ford put in for the NYC 3 days after Tim Stone passed away? The same person that started the rumour on here in the first place? :rolleyes:

And who have you heard that Matt Ford put in for the NYC 3 days after Tim Stone passed away? The same person that started the rumour on here in the first place? :rolleyes:

Does it matter its what ive heard and i believe it otherwise i wouldnt have posted it. Now the most important thing for us is as soon as we come back the nyc should come back to newport where it belongs.

One disappointing thing about the New Year Classic is that it has now changed from a meeting at Newport with a field of British riders, riding in Britain to one at Poole where the field will be a bunch of overseas riders who will come in for that meeting and clear off home with our money. A really disappointing development in the New Year Classic's evolution IMO

This meeting is fine to run at Poole but should have kept its tradition of being an opportunity for BRITSH riders to earn a few quid in the winter rather than overseas riders coming over to take home the money.

Poole are a very well run club but their complete lack of interest in anything to do with supporting BRITISH speedway is something they could change quite easily IMO

Sorry if this has been covered but has anyone know what sort of format the Poole meeting will take? Will it be along similar lines to the way Tim Stone always did it or something different?

*Have tentatively booked coach spaces for it

Thanks

No idea as yet Sue, other than it's to be called Champion of Champions. I assume from that, that two riders who might be involved could be Zetterstrom and Skornicki. I may of course, be totally wrong. ;)

Poole vs Eastbourne ELKOCF 2nd Leg 26/10

Weather is spitting with rain.

Track is in need of work so they are taking most of the dirt off and putting sawdust down - Start delayed

Above taken by courtesy of speedway updates

And this is what is happening in OCTOBER can you imagine what they will be doing in January ????????

Edited by star

Track is in need of work so they are taking most of the dirt off and putting sawdust down - Start delayed

And this is what is happening in OCTOBER can you imagine what they will be doing in January ????????

Funny thing is it rains more in the speedway season then it does outside it!!

Yes, the track was in need of work - it was raining from 2am pretty much constantly until the meeting got started, not just the drizzle from the tail end of the weather system that was occuring at the time the texter sent through his/her message. When we got there at 12.30 the track was exceptionally wet and the 3rd bend under water. There was major track work and the meeting went ahead on a surface that rode really well considering the conditions.

So your point is? Other than trying to stir things up... :rolleyes: