British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Americans Nasty Attitudes

God knows what the fans would do with a pistol like Don Hawley nowadays. Raced everything there was to race including Sprint Cars, a member of the Boozefighters outlaw motorcycle club and reputed to have never lost a fight. My hero, I knew him... and his grandson owns a barbershop in so. cal called Hawleywoods Barber shop. I dont think the americans had a particularily bad attitude, they just live life to the fullest, sometimes with bad outcomes. sure, there are some p+++++ for sure, but on the whole, its live and let live. BFD, please educate everybody on Don Hawley OK? One of the toughest men to walk the face of the planet but a superb man to the young fans. :wink:

A Dead-set Legend and along with cronies like Dude Crisswell, Sammy Tanner and Eddie Mulder an inspiration to many US Champions like Mike Bast and his brother Steve back in the heyday of US Speedway. Don Hawley was definitely "Old School" and rode against the likes of Ivan Mauger, Bert Harkins and Jim Airey as well as piloting his Offenhauser Sprintcar. Gotta Dash, more later.

Thank You.. ;)

Steve," Nasty attitude" possibly was not the best title for this thread, just "Riders with attitude" would have been better.

I never really interpreted the thread as being "nasty attitudes", as I thought you were just being a little overdramatic...

The Penhall incident was a disgrace for the credIbilty of speedway as years earlier Olle Nygren had been fined for the same thing at Wimbledon in the Internationale, but the powers to be did not reprimand Penhall as it was an FIM event ,where different rules were said to apply.

The problem is that is things like this have always gone on in individual meetings, although as others have said on here, it shouldn't have been that blatant and tasteless. Taking it one step further, we know that these rules should apply to various riders who have not made a bona fide attempt to race, but then what about Ivan Mauger's last bend slowdown at White City, in order to obtain a different riding number?

I admit that the Americans , in the main were great for British speedway, however their good guy image was so high that when they did something out of character they are often remembered for that and not the good things

Steve Gresham, John Cook and Bobby Schwartz all had their less popular moments

So too did the Moran boys... As I said, I found most of them to be really nice guys, but for me, Siggy did stand out a little more. Then again, we've had no mention of Lance King, Rick Miller, Scott Autrey, Eddie Ingels, Brad Oxley, Mike Faria, Buddy Robinson, Rob Pfetzing, Bobby Ott, Gary Hicks, Mike Curoso, Larry Kosta, Randy Green... Anyone out there got any memories of them?

Steve

Edited by chunky

we've had no mention of Lance King, Rick Miller, Scott Autrey, Eddie Ingels, Brad Oxley, Mike Faria, Buddy Robinson, Rob Pfetzing, Bobby Ott, Gary Hicks, Mike Curoso, Larry Kosta, Randy Green... Anyone out there got any memories of them?

Steve

There'd be a few of 'em, well at least one fer sure, hangin' out at sandman's Chowder Bar & Booze Emporium in All Points South, Steve!!

Mind you, if there's any Boozefighters in attendance I'd tread real careful if I was you. Thirty-odd years back when a well-known Aussie club became affiliated with an even more well-known US social group it was the custom to send over an "Exchange Student" for a few months to absorb the culture as it were. His turn duly arrived so Ocker the Shocker headed off to California where among others he met up with a few ol' die-hards from the Boozefighters including original member Snowman, who regaled him with tales of Hollister 1947. It was here that the Outlaw scene had its origins, and Club Founder Wino Willie became the inspiration for Chino, Lee Marvin's character in "The Wild One".

Alas none of the Seppo party boys could keep up with Ocker, (whose twin mottoes of "First to Arrive, Last to Leave" and "Leave no turn Unstoned" were a personal inspiration to ME!) and another member was duly disPATCHed to bring Ocker home. Ocker later honoured me by awarding me my own personal BFD badge for being first in last out at a HA's rock concert. BFD? - Big ******* Deal!!

Back to Don - any relation to Jimmy Hawley?

God knows what the fans would do with a pistol like Don Hawley nowadays. Raced everything there was to race including Sprint Cars, a member of the Boozefighters outlaw motorcycle club and reputed to have never lost a fight. My hero, I knew him... and his grandson owns a barbershop in so. cal called Hawleywoods Barber shop. I dont think the americans had a particularily bad attitude, they just live life to the fullest, sometimes with bad outcomes. sure, there are some p+++++ for sure, but on the whole, its live and let live. BFD, please educate everybody on Don Hawley OK? One of the toughest men to walk the face of the planet but a superb man to the young fans. :wink:

I've got a great photo of Don Hawley. The style of bike, not to mention his full-on leg trailing, suggest the late 40's or early 50's. Would that be right?

I would welcome more info about him and his career.

Rick Miller, Scott Autrey,

Steve

Rick Miller was on here a year or two back and came across as a decent bloke.Scott Autrey though.Nasty piece of work B)

Although i do still posses a signed photo.Also seem to recall getting Mike Bast's siggy at Plough Lane and he seemed ok.He was there i seem to recall with Bruce when they came over for an Intercontinental Final or something at White City a couple of days later :unsure:

I've got a great photo of Don Hawley. The style of bike, not to mention his full-on leg trailing, suggest the late 40's or early 50's. Would that be right?

I would welcome more info about him and his career.

Don raced class c dirt track and of course desert, & speedway. He came to England with the american team in the 50's. He was known for his toughness, and also used to play a bugle in the pits. Unfortunately, died a paranoid scizophrenic (sp) alcoholic. As a child, I did see him drive sprint cars, he was amazing, literally drove the wheels off of cars that were not the best. I was a pit rat & he always had time for us kids, and to this day I have fond memories of him. As for the comments about attitudes, cant say I have ever met an american racer I didnt like in some way. The really good guys on the list would be Ronnie Preston, Moran bros., Mike Curoso (impeccable manners) Rick Miller & Billy Hamill to name a few. :wink:

edit; Dave, i knew Wino Willie, also Filthy Scruggins & met Von Dutch too. man, did i have a great childhood or what. never cared for eddie mulder. when i tried to get his autograph he told me to beat it. made fun of my haircut & said i had a big head then flicked a lit cigarette at me. i told him i was gonna tell my dad on him. my ol pop was a pretty tough customer for sure so he immediately apologised and then signed my program. my dad & uncle Roy used to let me drive us home on the freeway when i was ten years old, (designated driver because they couldnt be bothered, too tired they said) how cool is that? :lol:

Also, if any of you out there have never had the pleasure of hearing an Offenhauser at full song, you missed out on truly one of lifes best experiences. cant begin to describe it except just beautiful. kinda like the old honda cr93 125cc road race bikes with a megaphone. or the old speedway bikes before silencers. i do go on i know,... sorry..

Edited by sandman

Rick Miller was on here a year or two back and came across as a decent bloke.Scott Autrey though.Nasty piece of work B)

Although i do still posses a signed photo.Also seem to recall getting Mike Bast's siggy at Plough Lane and he seemed ok.He was there i seem to recall with Bruce when they came over for an Intercontinental Final or something at White City a couple of days later :unsure:

Yep, I remember that night well. That was the week before the 1977 I-C Final, and I got both their autographs too!

Steve

Yep, I remember that night well. That was the week before the 1977 I-C Final, and I got both their autographs too!

Steve

( From the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame) (with the odd judicious edit :rolleyes: )

By the early 1970s, several U.S. riders, such as (edit: the incredibly evil :rolleyes: ) Scott Autrey and Dewayne Keeter, were leaving America to race Speedway in the British League, to qualify to contest the World Finals. Mike Bast went to England to check it out.

“It was cold, miserable, the food was bad and there was no money,” he said. “I was making 50 to 60 thousand a year in America living at the beach. So I never really rode British League." (edit)..........and who can blame him? :lol:

Edited by BigFatDave

edit; Dave, i knew Wino Willie, also Filthy Scruggins & met Von Dutch too. man, did i have a great childhood or what. never cared for eddie mulder. when i tried to get his autograph he told me to beat it. made fun of my haircut & said i had a big head then flicked a lit cigarette at me. i told him i was gonna tell my dad on him. my ol pop was a pretty tough customer for sure so he immediately apologised and then signed my program. my dad & uncle Roy used to let me drive us home on the freeway when i was ten years old, (designated driver because they couldnt be bothered, too tired they said) how cool is that? :lol:

Also, if any of you out there have never had the pleasure of hearing an Offenhauser at full song, you missed out on truly one of lifes best experiences. cant begin to describe it except just beautiful. kinda like the old honda cr93 125cc road race bikes with a megaphone. or the old speedway bikes before silencers. i do go on i know,... sorry..

The ol' "You drive, yer too drunk to sing" story, eh? I remember drivin' me dad & me uncle Derek back from a rugby match in Cardiff when I was 13.

A few Sidebangers in here, m8

The ol' "You drive, yer too drunk to sing" story, eh? I remember drivin' me dad & me uncle Derek back from a rugby match in Cardiff when I was 13.

A few Sidebangers in here, m8

the funny part was ah pullin into mcdonalds for coffee and the look on the face of the kid at the window, me behind the wheel of a 65 buick rivera. it was kinda like the look..."you lucky b**t**d" . i dunno, i sniveled a lot as a kid but nowadays you cant get away with stuff like that. really great memories. i know im gonna get flack for bringin all this up, but i swear, i was 10 and didnt have a drop so no, it was absolutely not driving under the influence ok? the only other time i brought this subject up i drove a golf cart on the beach with bill after leaving foxys and i got spanked pretty good. i do not drive after even one drink .but, at times i am a good desiginated driver, lots of experience. :wink:

the funny part was ah pullin into mcdonalds for coffee and the look on the face of the kid at the window, me behind the wheel of a 65 buick rivera. it was kinda like the look..."you lucky b**t**d" . i dunno, i sniveled a lot as a kid but nowadays you cant get away with stuff like that. really great memories. i know im gonna get flack for bringin all this up, but i swear, i was 10 and didnt have a drop so no, it was absolutely not driving under the influence ok? the only other time i brought this subject up i drove a golf cart on the beach with bill after leaving foxys and i got spanked pretty good. i do not drive after even one drink .but, at times i am a good desiginated driver, lots of experience. :wink:

Overall, I think that the Yanks brought a great deal to British speedway, flambouyancy and great character. I firmly believe that they were more popular with the British crowds than most of the GB riders, I know I did, being a Cradley fan of many years. I think the GB lads were jealous of them, and other team's supporters wished they had had them in their's too.

Edited by Gezza

There was a guy called Eddie Ingels who rode one season for Newcastle in 1984. Great attitude and up for anything. Actually got married on the home straight at Brough Park.

Overall, I think that the Yanks brought a great deal to British speedway, flambouyancy and great character. I firmly believe that they were more popular with the British crowds than most of the GB riders, I know I did, being a Cradley fan of many years. I think the GB lads were jealous of them, and other team's supporters wished they had had them in their's too.

Have to agree with you we had Shawn Moran at Sheffield, and I don't think that I have ever seen a more popular rider at Sheffield before or since.

Like you say they had a great character, and they were fantastic with the supporters always appearing to have time for them.

Have to agree with you we had Shawn Moran at Sheffield, and I don't think that I have ever seen a more popular rider at Sheffield before or since.

Couldn't agree more. Here's a picture of Mr Moran taken early (1981 I think!) in his Sheffield career.