British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

What Me Miss About 70s Speedway

T-Mills Tours in Balham(wasn't it?)

And those ads in the Star for cassete tapes of speedway meetings!!!!!Who bought one of those???? :blink:

T-Mills Tours in Balham(wasn't it?)

And those ads in the Star for cassete tapes of speedway meetings!!!!!Who bought one of those???? :blink:

Speedway recordings originator " Wally Loak " :approve:

Scratch cards with speedway riders on them(or was that the early 80s :unsure:) and yes the Angus Kix Glamour League at the back of the Speedway Star........PHWOOOAARRR!!!! :shock: .........you can shove yer Grattans catalogue :P:approve:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

The Peter Collins 'sugar in the tank' saga at the '78 British Final.

The Northern Riders' Championship was the following night - poor old PC brought the same bikes with him to that meeting. He had engine failure in all of the 4 heats he took part in.

Supporting riders who were older than me!

In my case, supporting riders who were older or the same age as my mum and dad!!

Castrol R.

Castrol R

I can picture it now, Shazz; just the two of us, a tropical evening, the smell of Frangipani in the air, a table for two under the palms, a gypsy violin in the background, moonlight, and last but not least a just-opened freshly-refined quart of Castrol R. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!! :approve:

Edited by BigFatDave

Speedway recordings originator " Wally Loak " :approve:

That's the guy :D

What's the betting chunky will be on later and say "I was going to mention him" :lol:

This topic could run and run, and why not. Forgot about Eddie's Book Sales for years many of my Chrimbo pressies were courtesy of Eddie's.

Rider interviews where they would say " I tried the inside for 3 laps then the outside but couldn't quite catch him" or versa vice as opposed to saying "I haven't got my set up right so couldn't get near him" ....

This topic could run and run, and why not. Forgot about Eddie's Book Sales for years many of my Chrimbo pressies were courtesy of Eddie's.

Rider interviews where they would say " I tried the inside for 3 laps then the outside but couldn't quite catch him" or versa vice as opposed to saying "I haven't got my set up right so couldn't get near him" ....

Only as long as us old timers keep it going :oops::lol:

Funny what you learn on the internet though.I was going to speedway all those years and honestly didn't know there was such things as slick and deep tracks.I just thought they were dry or wet/sawdust tracks :unsure:

What's the betting chunky will be on later and say "I was going to mention him" :lol:

Okay smart-arse... :angry: Anyway, I never did get any of Wally's recordings. However, one of my most cherished possessions from the 70's is an LP of the 1974 World Final, narrated by Chris Carter! How many of you remember, or even had knowledge of, that?

Other memories? There are :

The London Cup!

Viv Harwood and the Speedway Riders XI

Alan Weeks doing the BBC commentary for the Wills Internationale

The Wills Internationale

Don Clarke writing for the Sunday Mirror

Going to Hackney for the Bonanza Best Pairs, and getting a free stick of rock

Best Pairs meetings

Ronnie Greene, Charlie Knott, Charles Ochiltree, Bill Bridgett, and Liz Taylor

Steve

Okay smart-arse... :angry:

Viv Harwood and the Speedway Riders XI

:rolleyes:

Was meant to be a joke.Just seen you post that a few times lately ;)

And seeing as Viv was part of our family i expect Blazeaway and Slaphead to remember Viv :approve: Only saw them play once though.For Ronnie's testimonial

The 70's were sort of after my time since I emigrated in 68-HOWEVER I did purchase some of Wally Loak's tapes-the only way you could hear riders of the fifties and sixties speak-now of course we have you tube and there is some great stuff on there-my favorite being newsreel of a Halifax v Stoke meeting of 1949(I think)where you can clearly see the riders-I can pick out Arthur Forrest and I think Vic Emms-anyone seen that clip?????And have you identified any of the riders??

The Daily Express Spring Classic ,you could vote for your rider of choice in a national newspapper.

and it always rained at Wimbledon, there's your sawdust "Iris 123 " :approve:

and it always rained at Wimbledon, there's your sawdust "Iris 123 " :approve:

Only for the big meeting though :blink:

Think old Ted Hubbard lost a Second Division Riders Championship because of the rain.Seem to remember Cyril Maidment always out their taking the bags of sawdust out of the tractor and putting them on the bends

Was meant to be a joke.

I treated as a joke... :blink:

Just seen you post that a few times lately ;)

Really? I think you may actually me confusing me with someone else, because I really can't remember doing that. Of course, my mind may be going...

And seeing as Viv was part of our family i expect Blazeaway and Slaphead to remember Viv :approve: Only saw them play once though.For Ronnie's testimonial

I seem to remember that; that was at WFC, wasn't it? Dear old Jim Tebby was a great footballer, and I think it was at that match where he scored a beautiful goal from the edge of the box in front of the West Bank! Anyone know if Viv's still with us?

Steve