British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wildcat

2009 Sgp- Who Will Win?

Your expecting 11 Gelsenkirchen's for next year then... :wink:

I wouldn't rule that out :cry::lol:

Nicki Pedersen will be 09 champ i think, but would really love to see Greg do it! il cheers him on and the brit lads

Ales Dryml, Jiri Stancl, Egon Müller,Zenon Plech, Petr Ondrasik were all likely winners in 1980

You constantly pick out the Continental qualifiers, ignoring the fact that the Intercontinental section was very strong indeed. The fact that a load of numpties were included in World Finals up until the early-1990s was not a fault of the World Final itself, but the politics of the FIM.

Similarly, the concept of the SGP itself might be fine if it were organised in a different fashion.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

You constantly pick out the Continental qualifiers, ignoring the fact that the Intercontinental section was very strong indeed. The fact that a load of numpties were included in World Finals up until the early-1990s was not a fault of the World Final itself, but the politics of the FIM.

Similarly, the concept of the SGP itself might be fine if it were organised in a different fashion.

It was in response to Rob Peasley's ridiculous statement about any one of 16 being capable of winning a world final when the truth is nothing like that

It was in response to Rob Peasley's ridiculous statement about any one of 16 being capable of winning a world final when the truth is nothing like that

Well, there's always 1973 to back Rob's statement up :shock:

well Jason isnt that old, he's only 2 years older then Nicki but still 4 years younger then Adams, Gollob and 5 years younger then Greg so i think Jason has a few more years to contend for the title.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Hey Widcat , Surely JC should be in @ #2 or is that wishful thinking , I`ve taken it as Race Numbers for 09 Season , But maybe that is your end of 09 Results ???

Lucky

PS - Ginge won`t win it :-(

Yes, sorry- that is my prediction for end of season results. . . Crumpy winning is not wishful thinking- I just think it may be the case although Nicki will of course be hard to beat

I do remember thinking either George Hack or Makael Starostin would win in LA in 1982. If not one of them then the ageing Peter Collins was a likely winner.

Maybe it would be Verner or Kai Niemi, Maybe even Edward Jancarz or Jiri Stancl.

Yes World Finals were certainly very competitive in them days.

Course that wasn't just a rogue year, lets go back to 1976, I thought PC would have his work cut out by the likes of the Gordeev brothers, or even Jerzy Rembas or Marek Cieslak, Jiri Stancl was another in with a big chance.

It was hard to rule anyone out in those days wasn't it.

Ales Dryml, Jiri Stancl, Egon Müller,Zenon Plech, Petr Ondrasik were all likely winners in 1980

The list just goes on and on.

Jeff, interesting you mention Jerzy Rembas, who was only 2 points away from being World Champion in 1978, therefore completely negating the point of your post. :wink:

And for mentioning Egon Muller, I assume you have a complete mental block as regards to 1983, or 1979 for that matter, when Zenon Plech finished second. :rolleyes:

I'll say it again - ANYONE out of the 16 riders could win in a World Final. Rank outsiders DID win sometimes. Look at a very young Peter Craven in 1955, Freddie Williams in 1950 and Jerzy Szczakiel in 1973 as prime examples.

All the best

Rob

sorry to say but I cant see anyone else than Nicki win the SGP 09. This season he just finished outside top-3 twice. That is what makes Nicki so good. He very rarely fails and 2009 will be the same. BOth Jason, Greg, Leigh, Hans, AJ and Adams have the same toplevel as Nicki but none of them are able to keep it to that level over time as Nicki is.

But I would be more than happy if Greg, Gollob or Adams wins the title but I doubt it.

Yes it was possible for all 16 to win (well with the exception of Henny Kroeze in 1987 :wink: ).

Jerzy Szczakiel scored a great big fat blob in the 1971 final. He went into the 1973 World Final as the fifth favourite Pole (out of 5) and probably the 15/16th favourite of the whole field. And he won.

Jerzy Rembas was the rank outsider in 1978 and got into a run-off for third place.

A young Tony Rickardsson only qualified in 1991 due to the misfortune of other riders getting injured, yet finished second.

Peter Craven had only just avoided finishing 16th in 1954, but won in 1955.

Everyone thought Jack Young had done a grand job in qualifying in 1951 as a second division rider, but no-one outside of Edinburgh would have tipped him to win it. He did.

Viktor Kutnetsov in looked bloody fast in 1986 and ended up with double figures. Les Collins only got through to one World Final. Every thought his Inter-Continental win in 1982 was a fluke, second place in the World Final showed it wasn't.

The unfancied Jack Biggs came so close to winning in 1951. He never came remotely close again.

How many more examples do you want? :wink:

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

next year will be between Nicki & Hans without a doubt , then the usual riders behind them,Crump,Gollob,Hancock,Adams

On the Rostrum:

Pedersen, Crump, Andersen

In the Top 8:

Jonsson, Adams, Gollob, Hancock, Holta

Supporting Cast:

Nicholls, Sajfutdinov, Bjerre, Lindgren, Ulamek, Harris, Walasek

Ever the optimist :blink::lol:

Just a bit ;) But seriously:

Gollob - hope he hasn't said his last word yet :wink: May do the rostrum again or may finish around the 6th place. But got a feeling this first version is more likely to happen. There has been a visible progress in his GP rides for recent two years and may it continue! All he needs is more consistence (no rubbish performances like at Cardiff this yr).

Emil - I believe he can finish in top 8. His balance on a bike, the way he finds paths and catches speed are awesome. Sometimes like TG at his best... Am only a bit worried he may kill himself a couple of times at such superb tracks like Gothenburgh or Cardiff.

AJ - the guy seems to have stopped in his progress at some point but maybe this year he'll finally make that step ahead (top 3 ?). Unknown for me but not lower than top 8, for sure.

Anyway, these are the 3 ones I'll be cheering for, in the order as above, of course.

( Holta - Polish only in SWC for me :rolleyes: , Walasek & Ulamek - both probably as hopeless as KK this year but will be happy when proven wrong in this case ...)

Edited by Mateusz

Yes it was possible for all 16 to win (well with the exception of Henny Kroeze in 1987 :wink: ).

All the best

Rob

Troy Butler and Olli Tyrvainen anyone?? :unsure: