British Speedway Forum
barneys barnstormers

Closed Tracks (where)

...and the Carmarthen track at the Showground is still there and used for tractor pullls several times a year ---and no sign of the hotel development that was given as an excuse for not allowing speedway to continue there.

I know that Dean Felton went down there last year and drove his car around the track "for old times sake!!".

What a waste!! :mad:

I agree.....what a waste of petrol

Ringwood,Matchams Park.

Still there!!

There have been 3 different circuits at this venue,all in the same arena.

1) The original race track is middle of the 3 circuits.Over 400 metres in length.Now tarmaced over for Stock Cars.

2) The inner of the 3 circuits is the training track put in place by the Knotts in the early 70's.About the size of Lakeside.Also tarmaced over.

Very similar layout etc to Lakeside

3) The outer of the 3 circuits is the 'mini longtrack' as organised by Simon Wigg.A huge 5/600 metre circuit,which has a fence on the inside,as well as the outside!

Sadly,the whole area has been the subject of the aborted WinterWonderland recently.

http://maps.live.com/#JndoZXJlMT1NYXRjaGFt...jYwNzcyNzA1Mg==

Edited by BobC

I would be interested to know what happened to the Abbey Stadium in Neath- I know they only ran one year- in 1962- and finished 2nd in Prov Lge. to Poole. I'll never know what made Trevor Redmond pick Neath for a track. Any forumlanders out there ever visit it, if so what are your memories. BTW my prediction on this is that no-one reading this ever went there-b/c a) its a long time ago and B) there were never many spectators. But perhaps someone knew someone who knew someone who went there or even who rode there??(Friends of Charlie Monk, Jon Erskine etc please come forward!!)

Neath Abbey Stadium is now covered by an industrial estate and no sign of the track at all, at the time when it operated in 1962 there was no M4 and the area was hard to get to, I remember Neath beating Poole 38 - 40 their first home defeat for a about 2 years

Ringwood,Matchams Park.

Still there!!

There have been 3 different circuits at this venue,all in the same arena.

1) The original race track is middle of the 3 circuits.Over 400 metres in length.Now tarmaced over for Stock Cars.

2) The inner of the 3 circuits is the training track put in place by the Knotts in the early 70's.About the size of Lakeside.Also tarmaced over.

Very similar layout etc to Lakeside

3) The outer of the 3 circuits is the 'mini longtrack' as organised by Simon Wigg.A huge 5/600 metre circuit,which has a fence on the inside,as well as the outside!

Sadly,the whole area has been the subject of the aborted WinterWonderland recently.

Hi Bob

I assume (1) would have been the Southern Area League track used in the mid 50s by the likes of Alby Golden & Ernie Lessiter then. The S A L team only lasted about 1 and a half seasons and Alby Golden and Ernie Lessiter were far & away the top 2 who came out of the riders the "Turfs" produced during their short existence.

Spot on,Star Ghost.

The smaller circuit helped the development of Martin Yeates,Steve Lomas,Geoff Swindells,Russell Foot,plus others of course.

There is a very real danger that this area could be lost to development.Houses get nearer each year,and more complaints about noise continue.

What happened to Ernie Lessiter-am familiar with Alby but not Ernie

Some of the best maps are at Live Search Maps, which include birds-eye views in many urban locations

Just had a look at what I assume to be the old New Cross site situated at the end of Hornshay Street, off Ilderton Road

If I'm correct, on the green area, one can make out the outline of the track - or am I seeing things that aren't there?

If someone else has a look, can they find the old stadium steps referred to? Would be very interested

Cheers

Just wondering - can anyone find "the old stadium steps" on the map? Would be really really interested to know!

Just wondering - can anyone find "the old stadium steps" on the map? Would be really really interested to know!

When I had a look at the site in the mid nineties you could still make out the outline of the track and the remains of the terracing were still evident in places.I seem to remember that an old kiosk type building was still there which may or may not have been the entrance to the pits or the car park.Rarely in that area but would certainly check it out again if so. I would highly recommend the book "Out of the Frying Pan -The story of New Cross Speedway by Norman Jacobs if you havn't already got it.

I would highly recommend the book "Out of the Frying Pan -The story of New Cross Speedway by Norman Jacobs if you havn't already got it.

:approve:

Some of the best maps are at Live Search Maps, which include birds-eye views in many urban locations

Just had a look at what I assume to be the old New Cross site situated at the end of Hornshay Street, off Ilderton Road

If I'm correct, on the green area, one can make out the outline of the track - or am I seeing things that aren't there?

If someone else has a look, can they find the old stadium steps referred to? Would be very interested

Cheers

Quite by coincidence, I had to go to Ilderton Road today, so I thought I'd nip down Hornshay Street and see what I could find.

New Cross

I think the stairs are probably the third set and you can certainly see a vague oval outline from the top, as though they just filled the stadium with earth and planted grass.

Maybe Time Team should be called in to investigate this piece of sporting history.Love watching Once A Jolly Swagman just to see that old track.

One for my Monarchs pals . I remember in the dim and distant past - well the early seventies anyway . Was there not a track at Newtongrange ? Whatever happened to it ?

One for my Monarchs pals . I remember in the dim and distant past - well the early seventies anyway . Was there not a track at Newtongrange ? Whatever happened to it ?

Demolished in 1994 Paulco