British Speedway Forum
paul84

The 2009 Premier League Riders' Championship

crying shame that these meetings are not on neutral tracks,another home rider wins makes a total mockery of the sport great shame.

Taking nothing away from Ricky as its still a great win for him against a top class field but yet again we see the reason I give these big events a wide berth.

The home rider/team nearly always wins. For me its not worth the time, effort and money to attend. OK they are gaurenteed the Sheffield support but the rest of the fans may feel ripped off!

Please lets go neutral next season. I think the BSPA would be suprised how many fans actually turn up as I would and there must be a few others out there who feel the same! If we carry on we this trend I and quite a few people I haqve spoken to will not be there. :angry:

Fine effort The Fish.

Great effort Wullie Lawson.

Oh Look another "Big" meeting won by a home rider..When will these meetings be held on a neutral track??

crying shame that these meetings are not on neutral tracks,another home rider wins makes a total mockery of the sport great shame.

Been tried - 2007 at Swindon. The gate was awful (albeit at least in part because of a traffic hold up).

You can't really blame the BSPA for holding it at a track that will at least make a profit because all the home fans turn up rather than somewhere else where none of them will and hence the attendance is totally reliant upon people travelling.

What I would say is hold it at a track where the home bias is considerably less pronounced - what's wrong with Birmingham ?

It should be the case that the spectator comes first when a venue is chosen (taking into account the potential gate figure) not just be a matter of who is going to cough up the most to hold it.

No-one, I believe, can make a reasonable argument that the fact that the meeting was at Sheffield does not undermine Ashworth's success, that he would have been among the favourites elsewhere or that both of you have a bit of a point in that this result does not serve speedway well.

obviously there's going to be alot of people saying home rider was always going to win, unfair advantage etc.

but ricky deserved it tonight and was lightening from the tapes, so a massive well done to ricky :D

some close exciting racing tonight but not as much passing as last year, but what can you expect when there's 16 good riders all riding their hearts out.

was a nailbiting final and ricky made a great start, the other 3 seemed to fight it out between themselves for the first lap and ricky had a big enough lead to win it.

just a little grumble about a minority of kings lynn fans stood on the 3rd and 4th bends, after the final there were boo's coming from them and they made themselves look fools.

can't they just be happy with a league title and be happy for a young british rider who rode his heart out. not much to cheer about living in kings lynn though so i understand your pain

i can see why the bspa decide to hold pl event on pl tracks each year, but i think they should be shared around more often. this will stop the 'sheffield rider' winning it each year.

It should be held at Newport as there would be no home advantage.No-one from Newport ever wins there

Taking nothing away from Ricky as its still a great win for him against a top class field but yet again we see the reason I give these big events a wide berth.

The home rider/team nearly always wins. For me its not worth the time, effort and money to attend. OK they are gaurenteed the Sheffield support but the rest of the fans may feel ripped off!

Please lets go neutral next season. I think the BSPA would be suprised how many fans actually turn up as I would and there must be a few others out there who feel the same! If we carry on we this trend I and quite a few people I haqve spoken to will not be there. :angry:

Agreed!

Congratulations to Ward, Proctor, and Howe for reaching the final. Larsen for a great effort! :approve:

Edit: And, of course, Ricky for winning it!

Edited by DiamondsRock

Well done Ricky so very happy he won!!!.

but no matter how much we like it theres always going to be somebody with some track advantage or home track advantage :neutral:

Edited by spin king junior

Oh Look another "Big" meeting won by a home rider..When will these meetings be held on a neutral track??

When the SUPER 7 series was introduced by the Chapmans it was supposed to be on Neutral Tracks, Can anyone tell me what happend to this ideal ?????

Well done Ricky so very happy he won!!!.

but no matter how much we like it theres always going to be soebody with some track advantage or home track advantage :neutral:

Indeed. I'm not his biggest fan but he seems to have a ridden in a very mature way tonight and for my money deserved his success. I wouldn't have had him down as a pre meeting favourite to be honest.

The fact is so few other venues in this league can offer the facilities and racestrip that Sheffield can and does.

Overall a good meeting - after Howes majestic sweep in the semi-final and with him off gate 4 again I thought he might win. Another lap and the fast gaining Ward might have got him but it doesn't do for a nipper like him ti win everything first time.

The crowd would suggest that this meeting is possibly here to stay at Owlerton for perhaps some time?