British Speedway Forum
paul84

The 2009 Premier League Riders' Championship

Home track advantage???????????????? YES

What Proctor was trying to say with his comments, were, that had it of been at King's Lynn Darcy or Topinka would more than likely have more chance to have won it anywhere else the home track rider would more than likely win it, i.e. a different winner

I would put my life on the line and say that Ashworth, anywhere else wouldn't have even made the final.

In true refection to talent, Ashworth isn't even top 20 in the Premier League.

Should I congratulate Ashworth on his win, NO, but well done Darcy, Ty & Howe on making the top 4

Edited by screamer

The organisers of the super 7 events will have seen the size of the crowd at Sheffield on Sunday , and that will mean Sheffield stays as the home of the PLRC for years to come - and rightly so .

Personally, I would not have given it to them following the 2004 meeting when, in full view of the Sky cameras (the first time PL racing was on Sky, if memory serves me correctly), there was a riders strike because of the condition of the track - something which had the EL bigots in raptures and jeopardised any future televising of PL meetings.

Wasn't the following year marred by a massive argument over the bike covers that the Sheffield promotion wanted the riders to use but the riders refused to ?

To my mind, if someone does a crap job you don't ask them to do it again, simple as. I have made the same point about the 'terrible' track surface at Rye House for the NLRC on Saturday.

It should not just be a question of who bids the most (as it seems to be) but who is most qualified.

What Proctor was trying to say with his comments, were, that had it of been at King's Lynn Darcy or Topinka would more than likely have more chance to have won it anywhere else the home track rider would more than likely win it, i.e. a different winner

I would put my life on the line and say that Ashworth, anywhere else wouldn't have even made the final.

Should I congratulate Ashworth on his win, NO, but well done Darcy, Ty & Howe on making the top 4

Agree with your first 4 points and I suspect that virtually everyone else would, too.

However.............Yes, he does deserve to be congratulated because it is still a fair achievement to win a meeting with so many top riders in it. The sadness of it is that is devalued by the fact that others have decided to hold it on his home circuit, a track with a pronounced home bias.

Personally, I would not have given it to them following the 2004 meeting when, in full view of the Sky cameras (the first time PL racing was on Sky, if memory serves me correctly), there was a riders strike because of the condition of the track - something which had the EL bigots in raptures and jeopardised any future televising of PL meetings.

Wasn't the following year marred by a massive argument over the bike covers that the Sheffield promotion wanted the riders to use but the riders refused to ?

To my mind, if someone does a crap job you don't ask them to do it again, simple as. I have made the same point about the 'terrible' track surface at Rye House for the NLRC on Saturday.

It should not just be a question of who bids the most (as it seems to be) but who is most qualified.

i don't often defend the sheffield management (as they will testify!) but most of your observations here are FACTUALLY INCORRECT.

It was SOooo unfair on the rest of the field in the GP Challenge with Bomber being on his home track.

Ward's comment that if he had made the gate he'd have "smoked him" just shows that the final wasn't down to home track advantage but gating!! Ashworth gated. End of.

Ricky surpassed himself in that meeting. For many weeks he has been fast round Sheffield when he has made the gate, but he couldn't pass anyone. Passed a fair few on Sunday.

We have enough tracks in this country to chose from, so this home track advantage argument never has to raise its head. We've seen it at all levels at one time or another, and still it continues, so its obviously something the BSPA don't give a damn about. Saying that, the "home" rider is under a different type of pressure to the rest, so Ashworth deserves praise on his win, and those who refuse, are bad sports of the highest order.

Said Ward: “I was disappointed. I’ve worked so hard all year. I came here as favourite and didn’t pull it off. If I’d have made the start in the final I would have smoked him.”
If Adrian Rymel had chose gate two in last years final he'd have probably been PL Riders Champion.

Ward was understandably disappointed as it's his first and only shot at the title

Edited by Shadders

Why be so arrogant and near minded to only congratulate the other 3. whether you like it or not Ricky is the 2009 PLRC :approve:.

kings lynn fans will always be bad sports for many years to come, it was them who was booing him after he had won the final, you really are a bunch of sore losers.

and when they cheered as ricky fell off on first bend in one of his heats, just shows what kind of people you are

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned this at all - haven't seen it said - but does anyone think the choice of gates cost a couple of riders?

On points scored gate 1 was the best in the meeting but as it went on the outside ones had more points scored from them. The numbers alone suggested there wasn't much between 1, 3 and 4.

If it had been my choice I'd have picked in the order of 3, 1 and then 4 but obviously I'm not a rider and I'm sure different people prefer different start positions too. The one thing I could see for sure was that gate 2 had been no good all night but sure enough Compton and Ward both picked it with second choice. If they'd gone for 3 or 4 does anybody think the end result would have been different in either/both races?

Is it time all riders have a statto geek in their corner along with a mechanic?!?

I can't see how everyone has managed to drag out the argument about the home advantage issue yet again - it's all been resolved before hasn't it?

* Of course most home winners only win because it's on their track

* We all know these events should be on a neutral track

* Until fans travel in numbers to neutral tracks to support the idea it won't change and history says we don't do it.

I have tended to go to big meetings on my local track but rarely travel to away venues for them so I can hardly grumble about it. Attendances would suggest the majority are in the same position so I'm afraid the 'morally correct' minority will just have to suffer. Tough but it's the way of the world I'm afraid - many of us will be in the same position after the next general election!

And anybody who doesn't congratulate (or who boos) the winner of any title, regardless of home advantage, is either under 12 years of age (although I'd like to say I'd give my 3 year old son a telling off if he did it) or is a few sandwiches short of the full picnic.

Edited by Shoddy

:shock: thats abit harsh isnt it??

Edited by Stoney=Legend

You sound like a poor loser.

All the "ifs" and "buts" of the day make no difference.

The PLRC was held at Sheffield. A Sheffield rider won it. Get over it.

:shock: thats abit much isnt it??

pretty spot on. And i'd imagine if Lyons or another Aussie had made the final, the people backing Ashworth up and saying their was no advantage, and congratulating him would be evan more. If Ward and Proctor were British and Ashworth an Australian, they would surely be the one's whingeing about home track advantage. hehhehheh.

kings lynn fans will always be bad sports for many years to come, it was them who was booing him after he had won the final, you really are a bunch of sore losers.

and when they cheered as ricky fell off on first bend in one of his heats, just shows what kind of people you are

You'd do well not to generalise....I'm a Lynn fan and I certainly did not boo Ashworth, and clapped him after his victory.

i don't often defend the sheffield management (as they will testify!) but most of your observations here are FACTUALLY INCORRECT.

I only actually made two observations.

I seem to remember very clearly the riders refusing to ride and then the track being bladed in 2004. I am not sure what year the bike covers was but I also seem to remember Jan Staechmann coming on here and giving us his side of the story and saying the riders were forced to put sponsors bike covers over their own - something they were very unhappy about.

However, I'd be quite happy for you to put me straight, though, and give me the factually correct position.

Is it time all riders have a statto geek in their corner along with a mechanic?!?

I can't see how everyone has managed to drag out the argument about the home advantage issue yet again - it's all been resolved before hasn't it?

* Of course most home winners only win because it's on their track

* We all know these events should be on a neutral track

* Until fans travel in numbers to neutral tracks to support the idea it won't change and history says we don't do it.

I have tended to go to big meetings on my local track but rarely travel to away venues for them so I can hardly grumble about it. Attendances would suggest the majority are in the same position so I'm afraid the 'morally correct' minority will just have to suffer. Tough but it's the way of the world I'm afraid - many of us will be in the same position after the next general election!

And anybody who doesn't congratulate (or who boos) the winner of any title, regardless of home advantage, is either under 12 years of age (although I'd like to say I'd give my 3 year old son a telling off if he did it) or is a few sandwiches short of the full picnic.

In answer to your first point, yes. Are you offering your services ? :D

The thing is that everything should be done to ensure that the track is as neutral as possible - how many complaints are made about the pairs at Somerset ? Sheffield does have a pronounced home bias - you proved that yourself last year with a very fine set of statistics - so why hold the meeting there when there is a possibility of an adverse reaction and the devaluation of a riders win ?

Your spot on with your point about neutral tracks and its something that is ignored or overlooked. Having said that, Birmingham would definitely be a better choice. It is at least as good a stadium as Sheffield, has a bigger home support and I would say is regarded by everyone as far fairer.

You sound like a poor loser.

All the "ifs" and "buts" of the day make no difference.

The PLRC was held at Sheffield. A Sheffield rider won it. Get over it.

Yes, he did.

The only thing is is it necessary to 'get over it' year after year ?

Since 2003, the PLRC has been held at Sheffield on 6 occasions. On 4 of them, a Sheffield rider has won. On another (in 2006) as has been pointed out Andre Compton went out through injury but he was the only man on the night to haed the eventual winner, Magnus Zetterstrom. You could make a reasonable argument that only in 2008 in 6 seasons was there a clear winner from another track which contrasts very starkly with Compton's dreadful performance at Swindon in 2007.

We want our sport to be taken seriously. We want to attract new fans and sponsors and shut the knockers up. Holding one of our most prestigious meetings at one of more biased circuits with the result that a home rider who just scrapes into the top 20 PL averages wins it is hardly likely to achieve any of those goals.