British Speedway Forum

Rob Lyons indicated that the captain for team GB would be Scott Nicholls.

At the risk of upsetting people and being accused of "putting the boot in", "kicking someone when they are down", and other similar things, on present form that would be a mistake.

He has not performed well on his return to the Elite League, his form in the GPs against riders of the calibre that we will meet in the WTC is exceptionally poor;

The riders I would like to see would be ;

Richardson

Harris

Kennett

Bridger

Woffinden

Harris is not performing well in the GPs either, but his Elite League record is better, and he is the current British Champion.

Richardson is having a good season, the youngsters are all riding well and will be eager to make their mark, we need riders for the future who are hungry to succeed, Nicholls, I am afraid, has lived too long in the "comfort zone" of expecting to be automatically picked, when his form was better, perhaps now is the time to look to the future.

What do others feel?

(Time to put the tin helmet on and dodge the brickbats!! ;) ;) )

At the risk of upsetting people and being accused of "putting the boot in", "kicking someone when they are down", and other similar things, on present form that would be a mistake.

He has not performed well on his return to the Elite League, his form in the GPs against riders of the calibre that we will meet in the WTC is exceptionally poor;

Richardson

Harris

Kennett

Bridger

Woffinden

Harris is not performing well in the GPs either, but his Elite League record is better, and he is the current British Champion.

Richardson is having a good season, the youngsters are all riding well and will be eager to make their mark, we need riders for the future who are hungry to succeed, Nicholls, I am afraid, has lived too long in the "comfort zone" of expecting to be automatically picked, when his form was better, perhaps now is the time to look to the future.

What do others feel?

Looks like you have pulled together a solid and exciting line up there. How'd you fancy being the Team GB Manager.

100% agree with that lineup .... 50% because it is currently the most consistently strong lineup we have ....... and 50% because it isnt but this is the only way to bring on the youngsters quickly in a short amount of time

I cannot decide if Scott is in the top 5 on form as of right or not........ but if he is then he is scraping it and I think just on that basis and on the basis of these pits images of despair increasing .... it is a good excuse for money to really be put where the mouth is and to make this year about the youngsters....... and for it to be meant when it is said

Can't argue with that line up.

I wouldn't contemplate putting Nicholls in because

1) his form is fragile at the moment and a poor performance would not do him (or TeamGB) any good whatsoever.

2) Team GB are extremely unlikely to go straight to the final at the EOES anyway so give a youngster experience.

Whether he does or doesn't ride I think he should be relieved of the captains role, he clearly can't motivate himself at the moment so cannot motivate his team mates.

that line up is the only one that can happen IMO, if it doesnt, Lyons will be under major scrutiny straight away in his early reign as gaffa.

Richardson

Harris

Kennett

Bridger

Woffinden

What do others feel?

:lol: I'm not going to accuse you of putting the boot in pantostar. I've got no problem with peoples opinions of the WC squad and yours looks like a good one by the way.

All you've done is tell the truth. His form is poor and you feel he should be left out, fine, you've made a valid point without feeling the need to make nasty remarks, which no one can have a problem with.

2) Team GB are extremely unlikely to go straight to the final at the EOES anyway so give a youngster experience.

the more people like Kelvin talk about trying to go through from the EOES the more I get worried.................. obviously we want to get to the final but I think the only way we should attempt to is from the race off as at least we will have the bikes setup for the final then

I would prefer us to go out fighting at the race off than being slaughtered in the final because of setup once again........... and if this year is about the youngsters then i'd suggest that was the most sensible for the experience they will gain as well

I hate the defeatist attitude some people have, yes were very weak compared to the rest, but come on....anything can happen :approve:

aslong as they stick out the 5 best riders, they give 110% what else can be said? :)

I hate the defeatist attitude some people have, yes were very weak compared to the rest, but come on....anything can happen :approve:

aslong as they stick out the 5 best riders, they give 110% what else can be said? :)

it isnt defeatest ... it is realistic.....the chances of us winning are low ...and for it to be a positive campaign that needs to be understood so that the same team can go out in 2 years time and win the thing..........

do you really want a performance from us like the last two finals? ..... Those performances stemmed from the fact that we qualified directly..... ie we missed the opportunity to get the bikes setup in the race off..... this also directly ties in with the overall 'team budget' .... as the more shoestring a team is the more something like this is going to contrast and we all know practice is useless for setting up bikes at this level

I see no point in Tai, Ed, and Lewis suffering a excruciating embarrasment in the final because we tried to qualify from the EOES

Richardson

Harris

Kennett

Bridger

Woffinden

Spot on.

To select Nicholls would be a big mistake IMO.

the more people like Kelvin talk about trying to go through from the EOES the more I get worried.................. obviously we want to get to the final but I think the only way we should attempt to is from the race off as at least we will have the bikes setup for the final then

I would prefer us to go out fighting at the race off than being slaughtered in the final because of setup once again...........

I seem to recall last year Team Oz had the right set-up for the race-off but when the final came round things were a bit different to say the least.

As far as leaving Scott out - so who'll be the scapegoat when you fail again this year?

As far as leaving Scott out - so who'll be the scapegoat when you fail again this year?

Leave Nicholls out & treat this as building for the future.

No scapegoats.

I would love to see that line up. Our top 5 in my opinion too on current form.

But as we all know, Scotty doesnt actually have to achieve anything these days to be 'Britains number one' and 'deserve' to be captain :unsure::rolleyes:

have to go with this 5 im not sure about richardson tbh but i suppose on current form he gets in . also theres not really anyone else just yet. i think the form and mindset of scott would be bad for the team lets move on with the youngstars