British Speedway Forum

An excellent performance from the team tonight (overall) and they certainly did better than I expected.

But all this talk of building for the future is a little frustrating. Thats it till next year now.When was the last time we had a full test match?

Unless Rob Lyon has been given the go-ahead to put some meetings in place this TEAM will now dispurse back into their individual clubs and only come together in 11 months time again!!!

Sorry if that is negative but we now need to move on from this performance tonight and with all the press reports due out that will say –WE ARE BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE’ – please tell us how.

Keep this momentum going. :D

A highly pertinent post, Sandie.

I think a repeat of last Autumn's GB-Australia U23 series should be a top priority. Give the matches to tracks that are not in the play-offs, choosing dates that maximise the number of riders available.

The present GB-Australasia U-21 series has been a bit of a damp squib and has ended up being no more than fixture-fillers for the National League tracks.

Edited by Exiled Cuda

Well done tonight lads, probably as expected Bridger and King out of there depth but a much better performance from Woffinden. I still think he's a tremendous talent even Lindgren looked 2nd rate, maybe next year Tai. Sure the Nicholls rant will go on and on but the corrrect decision was made, the future is a lot brighter now. Keep up the good work Team GB and Rob Lyon!

No it wasn't... but you are a Gers fan, so your lack of tactical nous is excused :wink:

Really pleased with the way the team rode tonight. and proud to wave the flag.

But do feel whoever was responsible for Scott Nicholls not riding (Rider, Manager or BSPA) cost us a place in the final.

I cant believe all this moaning how can people moan when everyone one can see all 5 of them rode their bollocks off tonight. All I asked was them to give 100%, they gave exactly that and they just missed out. The Swedes had riders that were much more experienced in high pressure situations then us, that counted alot in the latter satges.

I cant believe this argument about Scott Nicholls, how can his form merit a call up. The other guys King and Bridger did well on Monday so they totally deserved their chance. If Rob Lyon is to come in and say he wants youth policy selection then thats what he has to do, he had to stick to his guns. If he had bought Nicholls in then many people would have labelled Lyon a bottler and going against his word. I feel for him because hes in a lose lose situation.

Well done GB tonight so unlucky but I for one am so proud of them.

Edited by Brummie Kev

No, 11 is more than 9.

As I previously said, there's a world of difference in King getting 9 at a track he's ridden since a kid and racing in foreign conditions in the biggest team competition.

Riders like him should get experience of such conditions in Test Matches not World Cup competitions.

Seconded!!! :wink:

Ps. The English riders did well, but the English team were just not as good as the Aussies, Poles and Swedes. England should be proud of what England achieved, even though England ultimately failed... oh well, maybe a Brittish team will do better next year. :lol:

Edited by BongoBrian

Unlucky team GB.A great effort from the team tonight.

Why do so many people look at the negatives instead of applauding the positives.

I cant believe all this moaning how can people moan when everyone one can see all 5 of them rode their bollocks off tonight. All I asked was them to give 100%, they gave exactly that and they just missed out. The Swedes had riders that were much more experienced in high pressure situations then us, that counted alot in the latter satges.

I cant believe this argument about Scott Nicholls, how can his form merit a call up. The other guys King and Bridger did well on Monday so they totally deserved their chance. If Rob Lyon is to come in and say he wants youth policy selection then thats what he has to do, he had to stick to his guns. If he had bought Nicholls in then many people would have labelled Lyon a bottler and going against his word. I feel for him because hes in a lose lose situation.

Well done GB tonight so unlucky but I for one am so proud of them.

Quite agree and that sentence is the most sensible one on this thread. :approve:

The likes of hatcham need to get over themselves along with orion and Blazeaway. :lol:

:blink::blink:

Quite agree and that sentence is the most sensible one on this thread. :approve:

The likes of hatcham need to get over themselves along with orion and Blazeaway. :lol:

:blink::blink:

I'll lose no sleep over tonight Tsunami, but its British speedway supporters acceptance of being 'second best' (or in this case 3rd best) that will hold us back from ever achieving anything. Lets not forget we were only in the race-off tonight because we failed to win at home on monday where Lyon decided to disregard our top point scorer Lee Richardson.

As a Newcastle fan who has seen most of the Danish squad come over to this country to ride for us (although admittedly only Bjerre was riding tonight) I normally find myself cheering for Denmark in the World Cup.

However, tonight I was more than proud to support team GB. I felt the team spirit was excellent - especially the way they all rallied round Lewis after he touched the tapes. Richardson and Harris did a brilliant job in the pits and on the track. And all the team were riding their hearts out .

I feel Lyons made the right choice for tonight and to come so close to the final is heartbreaking - but at the same time encoraging for the future. Hopefully next year we'll get a step further!

As Bagpuss has posted, Rob was going by the OFFICIAL PROGRAMME not the spreadsheet that Stekkers was using, he admitted that perhaps he should have realised that the gate position was wrong, I would doubt he'll ever go by an official BSI programme again anyways! Well embarrasing for the promoters!

For all those brits who are posting negative thoughts on here, it's the negativity of us brits and not believing in our rider's ability that brings us down, it's about time we all started being positive and perhaps it will help the cause. Our riders need all the help, guidance, opportunities and support they can get .................. let's go for it!!!! If we don't, nobody else will for christ's sake!

Sorry to pick on your post Trees but couldn't be bothered to go back through to find the others!

If Lyons had studied the "World Cup Regulations" as I would have thought he might have, and kept up with what was going on etc, he would or should have known the gate positions! it clearly shows in the Regulations on page 18 every gate position for the riders! (sorry I am a geek that obtains these each year)

Wasn't overly impressed with the way he tried to belittle Jan's spreadsheet (which was correct) either!

One little point here, you say how the negativity and not believing in the riders brings them down! how do you think Lewis felt after the exclusion then being dropped from the following race? possibly that his manager did not believe in him? hmm? :unsure: Just a thought there!

Unlucky team GB.A great effort from the team tonight.

Why do so many people look at the negatives instead of applauding the positives.

Unlucky ? nothing unlucky about it ? we pick a crap tm who picked a crap team .... the only unlucky bit about it was picking this fool as a tm .

Why on gods earth would you pick king over nicholls ? should have been in the final and only one person to blame :mad::mad:

I'll lose no sleep over tonight Tsunami, but its British speedway supporters acceptance of being 'second best' (or in this case 3rd best) that will hold us back from ever achieving anything. Lets not forget we were only in the race-off tonight because we failed to win at home on monday where Lyon decided to disregard our top point scorer Lee Richardson

But its not an acceptance of being third best - its the recognition that last years effort was shambolic with our 'strongest team' and that we have a group of young riders who can be serious contenders in a few years time if they are given the experience. And if you think that Lee Richardson riding on Monday instead of Danny King would have given us a chance of winning the meeting then I can only laugh :lol:

The fact that Scott Nicholls was not in the pits either on Monday or tonight speaks volumes for his commitment......surely he can't be surprised at being dropped from the team after a quite awful season so far. And someone remind me how he faired in the Lezno GP? People were crying out for his exclusion from the team after a dreadful start to the year, and when that happens people moan!

Hopefully Test Matches can be arranged, but as Trees says fitting them into rider's schedules is the hard bit.

Why on gods earth would you pick king over nicholls ? should have been in the final and only one person to blame :mad::mad:

Nicholls quite obviously hasn't been interested this week, unlike Richardson who has been a credit to himself. Only the obtuse few can't see that.

I hope that Rob and the lads read this forum as the vast majority of people are behind them and their principles....as they say 'you reap what you sow', as I'm sure we will all see in a few year's time :approve:

Does anyone now the status of Adam Shield? Read somewhere that he had broken his collarbone after trying to ride through Freddie.

One little point here, you say how the negativity and not believing in the riders brings them down! how do you think Lewis felt after the exclusion then being dropped from the following race? possibly that his manager did not believe in him? hmm? Just a thought there!

Richardson was put in as a Joker in place of Lewis, obviously Rob thought it was the best race for Lee to be able to score the 6 points and as far as his last race goes, for all I or you know he may have asked not to be included in that crucial race, for sure his head was down ............

Fair enough re the regulations.