British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Swc - The Joker

Agree completley, Boyce as team manager should have made Crump aware of the consequences of beating the pole. Sorry the Aussies lost it with a lack of tactical awareness, letting the poles win it!!

Great ride by Gollob to win heat 25. B)

Why not keep it simple and let the team that can gain the most points win? B)

If the rules made sense it might even encourage more people to watch the sport!

You really think it's THAT simple?

Have you tried working out the scores in Rugby, Cricket etc?

You really think it's THAT simple?

Have you tried working out the scores in Rugby, Cricket etc?

Yup, the rules for how the game is played might take a bit of reading, but can you imagine in rugby if the losing team was allowed to have their next try score double? or in the Ashes if the loosing team could nominate an over to count for double runs?

Yup, the rules for how the game is played might take a bit of reading, but can you imagine in rugby if the losing team was allowed to have their next try score double? or in the Ashes if the loosing team could nominate an over to count for double runs?

Exactly, I have said before no other TV sport changes it's scoring system half way through the match, imagine going to a football match, your team has scored 3 goals, the other team 2, but they win because, when they were 3 down, their first goal was allowed to count as 2!! Crazy, if you're losing you're losing.

Regards to all, Alan.

Why not keep it simple and let the team that can gain the most points win? B)

Now you're just being silly. :P

What about the away goal rule?!!!! :blink:

I presume you are referring to the oft quoted 'away goals count double'? They don't. The team that progresses in a cup tie in the case of a level score on aggregate is the one that has scored the most away goals. Slightly different.

The fact remains that today a team was crowned World Champions after scoring fewer points on the track than the runners-up. That can't be right.

It's no wonder speedway is not taken seriously.

I can remember posting the same thing last year, and probably the one before that - jokers should have no part in a World Cup tournament. Why oh why can the authorities just not let the best team win? :rolleyes:

There is nothing to discuss, really.

Any rule that benefits a losing team in order to make the event artificially closer than it actually is, is open to abuse by the teams taking part.

Encouraging a team to lose points in order to manipulate the score brings a sport into disrepute.

It is also an insult to the spectators who pay to see the best team win.

If a sport has to artificially manipulate the scoring system in order to keep fans interest then it does not deserve the support of those fans.

There is nothing to discuss, really.

Any rule that benefits a losing team in order to make the event artificially closer than it actually is, is open to abuse by the teams taking part.

Encouraging a team to lose points in order to manipulate the score brings a sport into disrepute.

It is also an insult to the spectators who pay to see the best team win.

If a sport has to artificially manipulate the scoring system in order to keep fans interest then it does not deserve the support of those fans.

Speedway in a nutshell......... :neutral:

I presume you are referring to the oft quoted 'away goals count double'? They don't. The team that progresses in a cup tie in the case of a level score on aggregate is the one that has scored the most away goals. Slightly different.

The fact remains that today a team was crowned World Champions after scoring fewer points on the track than the runners-up. That can't be right.

But surely the 'result' is the same. If team A scores 1 at home and 1 away and team B scores 2 at home and 0 away then team A wins despite the fact the score is actually 2-2. I can't see how that is any less stupid than the double points in speedway. For the record I think BOTH these rules are pathetic but it goes to show that it isn't just speedway that has stupid rules!

But surely the 'result' is the same. If team A scores 1 at home and 1 away and team B scores 2 at home and 0 away then team A wins despite the fact the score is actually 2-2. I can't see how that is any less stupid than the double points in speedway. For the record I think BOTH these rules are pathetic but it goes to show that it isn't just speedway that has stupid rules!

Lupus, but a team scoring goals can't beat the team scoring more goals.

The Speedway World Cup is a circus act thanks to the Joker. Shame becuase it often produces great racing, but it's hard to take seriously when injustices such as today happen.

All the best

Rob

Yes Chris R is right. the 'away goals' rule is to encourage attacking play especially away from home, at least where the away goals rule comes into play, both teams would have scored the same number of goals,where in speedway, you are supposed to lose races to gain an advantage. Sad really that now fans are on the terraces, shouting for riders to finish second, or let him thro'.

Regards to all, Alan.

i can nearly!!! understand a tactical in league matches cuz of the advantage of home teams and tracks being all shapes and sizes but not in the world cup. why not have the joker in the gps just to add to the farce.

:rolleyes: