British Speedway Forum
Snyper1010

World Champions That Never Were

I think Michanek would have won it in 73 (instead of 74) under a GP system, and Ermolenko was so good in 93 that he would have won it that year under a GP format too. (Similarly while I don't think Jonsson would have won under a GP format in 1990, he could have done so in 1992)

Ultimately whatever the system there will only be one world champion per year. What a GP system does is to share those titles among a smaller number of riders.

And back to the original question:

Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Igor Plechanov, Zenon Plech, and any Moran of your choice would be the top of my list.

Spot on arnie. :approve: We agree so much (even on choice of prog. boards! :wink: ) that people will start to talk!! :lol:

You can't get better than THIS list of "best" riders not to be World Champs. On the purely empirical test of number of rostrum positions without ever being on the top step, Gollob is head and shoulders above the others. Plechanov's one of only two riders only to be runner-up twice but never champ: the wonderful Split Waterman's the other.

Duggan and Parker dominated in years when there was no championship. Plech was also twice on the rostrum and really should've been the Polish champ that was ordained in '73. Moran's I can't agree with you - but then I think that was your little jest!!

Anyone who remembers Michanek at this prime will know that, yes, he was without doubt the best in the world in '73 and '74 and would easily have won a GP series in those years.

Oh, and Havelock won ALL of the major rounds in his world Final winning year BTW, so no reason at all to diss his credentials as a world champ.

On the other hand would competing in six 'rounds' and winning NONE of them make someone a worthy champ..?! That's what England's las "world champ" managed.. :shock: I'm sorry to say it, especially with his Kentish connections but there's no question that the LEAST deserving World Champ in history is our own Mark Loram...

I was just going to say Vic Duggan and Jack Parker, but I'm too late.

Therefore, I will add the name of Vic Huxley to the list.

Steve

PS Derek, I fully endorse your views regarding Messrs Loram and Havelock.

We shouldn't forget Cordy Milne. Hot favourite to win the 1939 Championship which was cancelled four days before it was due to be held owing to the outbreak of war.

Tommy Jansson, I'm sure would have been World Champion.

Other riders I would say Vic Huxley and Kenny Carter.

Edited by Robbie B

Arne Pander and Rune Sormander are the two I will mention. Together with the greats who rode when there was no World title to win.

Cordy Milne and Wilbur Lamoreaux were top Americans but I think Scott Autrey also deserves mention.

Unfortunately Jessup didnt bother enough to even go to the practice so he has no place in my ideas

Anyone who remembers Michanek at this prime will know that, yes, he was without doubt the best in the world in '73 and '74 and would easily have won a GP series in those years.

I do remember Michanek in his prime. My reasoning was more to do with not being convinced he would have had the dedication and commitment to win over a full season - based ore on his interviews than his undoubted ability.

He has also admitted he didn't really like being World Champion and was pleased to drop points in his first ride in 1975, so he could relax and enjoy the meeting without worrying about having to be World Champ again.

So it's more based on that.

I can only really include riders that i have been fortunate to have seen at there peak, on that basis i would go for Shawn Moran, Kenny Carter and Billy Sanders, all were quality riders. From the current gp system got to be Leigh Adams and Tomaz Gollob.

Imo some people seem to be regarding this as a "best rider never to have won a World Title" thread.I would say that is different to a World Champions that never were thread.A rider that had not only the ability,but the right attitude to win a World Title.I guess Farndon,Huxley and Parker can be included because they won what was the World Championship of the time without the title,meeting.Star Riders Championship.But i don't think the Morans can be included as they might have had the ability,but not the right attitude........same for a lot of riders mentioned here.Tommy Jansson would be one i would tentatively mention.Who knows how good he could have been? :cry:

I do remember Michanek in his prime. My reasoning was more to do with not being convinced he would have had the dedication and commitment to win over a full season - based ore on his interviews than his undoubted ability.

He has also admitted he didn't really like being World Champion and was pleased to drop points in his first ride in 1975, so he could relax and enjoy the meeting without worrying about having to be World Champ again.

So it's more based on that.

Mind you he still finished SECOND in that '75 World Final - so his 'plan' to relinquish the title nearly didn't work out too well..!!! :wink:

I agree with Michanek for both 73 and 74.

Under the current system it has to be Gollob, Adams and Ryan Sullivan.............................

Under the single final system it would be Dennis Sigalos, Kelly Moran and Malcolm Simmons..................

RP

Scott Autrey would have made the very top under the current system, and maybe the one off finals.His big fall-out with the AMA ended his ambitions, and ultimatly his love affair with speedway.Better than Penhall in many's eyes.

Scott Autrey would have made the very top under the current system, and maybe the one off finals.His big fall-out with the AMA ended his ambitions, and ultimatly his love affair with speedway.Better than Penhall in many's eyes.

He was brilliant in his time at Poole...................would have loved to have seen him win..............

RP