British Speedway Forum
Snyper1010

World Champions That Never Were

This discussion appears to have restarted in the darcy ward thread!

The meat of the thread starts at post 56 (lucifersam) and is concisely summarised at post 274 (waitheaces1)

Edited by arnieg

One or two I saw who never made it who I rated highly

Scott Autrey

Tommy Jansson

Kelvin Tatum

John Louis

Dave Jessup

Phil Crump

Simmo for me.

A super Rider.

Autrey,Jansson( a certainty),Sigalos,Crump(75?) Adams all great riders The Lord upstairs decides eh!

Simmo for me.

A super Rider.

In that race seven times out of ten PC would never of taken Simmo from the back like he did in Poland 1976.That could of been his year,what a great motorcyclist he was he had a great style he rode a bike like he was in an armchair classy. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Going off topic slightly, I was told that Briggs gave crumpie snr the advice in 75 to hold back his street 4 valve for the later world champs and was sure he would have won it. Not such if it's been mentioned elsewhere

Going off topic slightly, I was told that Briggs gave crumpie snr the advice in 75 to hold back his street 4 valve for the later world champs and was sure he would have won it. Not such if it's been mentioned elsewhere

It didn't work though.

It didn't work though.

He didn't hold it back he used from the start of the season that was the point, whether it would have worked who knows

I guess he needed the money like us all

• Like 1

Leigh Adams, Phil Crump and John Louis are all stand out's imo, and i personally believe that the late Billy Sanders would have won a couple of titles...

'Split' Waterman.

One or two I saw who never made it who I rated highly

Scott Autrey

Tommy Jansson

Kelvin Tatum

John Louis

Dave Jessup

Phil Crump

Autrey would have been a contender in 78/79, if not for his ban - still dont think hecwould have won it.

Jansson - who knows what he could have achieved

Tatum - very good rider, but a notch below the kikes of carter and jessup who didnt win it either - not genuine workd champ material in my view

Louis - similar to tatum, not quite goid enough imho, and due to his late start wasnt near the top for as long

Crump - a real contender in a gp system only in 75 with his 4-valve, otherwise a notch below the top level, and had a pretty disappointing world final record.

All very good riders, but none true world champion matetial in my view

and i personally believe that the late Billy Sanders would have won a couple of titles...

I dont tbh. He had an excellent world final record, without ever looking like winning a final. Under a gp system his best chance would have been 83, but I still dont think he would have made the podium. cant think of any major individual meeting that he won?
  • Like 1

The Daily express spring classic at Wimbledon i think? the couple of years before he went he was on fire really got it together.I believe he would of been even stronger in the GPS.

• Like 1

The Daily express spring classic at Wimbledon i think? the couple of years before he went he was on fire really got it together.I believe he would of been even stronger in the GPS.

Kind of proves my point if that's all that springs to mind. 84 was probably his big chance - he was riding better in 83 but not sure any rider could have beaten egon thst afternoon. As it is not sure he did anything to convince me he could have broken the Danish dominance - wheras penhall, sigalos, lee and carter were all capable of having done so if not for the premature ends to their careers.

Kind of proves my point if that's all that springs to mind. 84 was probably his big chance - he was riding better in 83 but not sure any rider could have beaten egon thst afternoon. As it is not sure he did anything to convince me he could have broken the Danish dominance - wheras penhall, sigalos, lee and carter were all capable of having done so if not for the premature ends to their careers.

Billy was still improving and getting stronger before he left us, i witnessed this every week at Ipswich, and i have no doubt he would have been an individual World Champion..

I was a big Phil Crump fan but i also loved Sanders as a rider,he seemed to get more consistent as he got older.After 83 he followed it up with another good 84 season,and before the tragedy in 85 was averaging 11.53.WIth three full maximums so he was in good fettle riding wise then,and lets not forget he was only thirty years old the shame of it was i felt he really believed he could be world champion.Great memories of Billy i was lucky see him race quite alot ,not as much as Blupanther but i like him believed he could of become world champion.

Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Billy was still improving and getting stronger before he left us, i witnessed this every week at Ipswich, and i have no doubt he would have been an individual World Champion..

You obviously saw him more than I did, but in all competitions his results were worse in 84 than 83. Clearly started 85 on fire, but rode only a handful of meetings. Personally I think he was better suited to world finsls, where he generally lifted himself, rather than gps. All conjecture and opinion,but personally I think there were better riders in the same era who also failed to win the title.