British Speedway Forum
beercellar

Prague May 22nd Its Official This Time

So much for all those who prematurely heralded a new dawn for GP speedway on the basis that there was a bit more dirt than usual in the first round. Prague was the same as always. It was a poor speedway meeting, despite Pearson and Louis telling us otherwise (and I doubt they were even in the Czech Republic, let alone inside the stadium). Gollob deserved the win for being the only rider able to produce genuine passing on this awful track, which made his ride in heat 14 was even more stunning. Did Gollob bring Jonsson down? The replays were inconclusive; none of them clearly showed Gollob taking Jonsson's leg away. I don't subscribe to the view that the rider "in front" can do what he likes. I would say the rider attempting the pass must do it cleanly, but there is also an onus on the rider being passed to yield once it is clear the pass can't be prevented. It did appear that Jonsson deviated from his line a little early going into the corner, which may have influenced the ref. This was a close call, and it is unfair to criticise the referee either way.

You really have a chip on your shoulder . Whats racist about critising a ref who in many peoples eyes made a decision that favoured his fellow countryman ?

rac·ism (rā′siz′əm) - from www.yourdictionary.com

noun

belief in or doctrine asserting racial differences in character, intelligence, etc. and the superiority of one race over another or others: racist doctrine also, typically, seeks to maintain the supposed purity of a race or the races

any program or practice of racial discrimination, segregation, etc., specif., such a program or practice that upholds the political or economic domination of one race over another or others

feelings or actions of hatred and bigotry toward a person or persons because of their race

rac·ism (rā′siz′əm) - from www.yourdictionary.com

noun

belief in or doctrine asserting racial differences in character, intelligence, etc. and the superiority of one race over another or others: racist doctrine also, typically, seeks to maintain the supposed purity of a race or the races

any program or practice of racial discrimination, segregation, etc., specif., such a program or practice that upholds the political or economic domination of one race over another or others

feelings or actions of hatred and bigotry toward a person or persons because of their race

Best u change your sig then . If i was French , i'd consider it racist , as you proved above

Excellent

Tomasz McGollob

Gaun yersel big man

I am possibly in a minority, but for the Gollob/Jonsson incident I thought the ref made a call that was right. The nationality of the riders involved shouldn't come into it, and I would hope that they didn't for the ref involved.

If you want Gollob excluded for that move, you are someone who wants to see a sport where no rider can ever make a pass up the inside of another rider ever again....

As for the suggestion of national bias from the ref, would you also say that he was biased towards Australians? Despite the fact that the Sky commentary team said nothing about any controversy over the exclusion for Tomicek when he went into the fence at the same place, he was just as much taken out by Holder as Jonsson was by Gollob...(and in case you aint already worked it out, I am saying that he wasn't!)

The ref was consistent in his decisions in both incidents, and I would agree with him in both.

So much for all those who prematurely heralded a new dawn for GP speedway on the basis that there was a bit more dirt than usual in the first round. Prague was the same as always. It was a poor speedway meeting, despite Pearson and Louis telling us otherwise (and I doubt they were even in the Czech Republic, let alone inside the stadium).

I think the heralding of a "new dawn" was entirely justified.

What Tony O did in Leszno was let the locals do the track as they usually do...I would guess he did the same in Prague. The difference is that Prague is always a crap track for any match, so no shock that they delivered the same for the GP...

I would, however, agree that the commentary team make much more out of a race than there really is...I was watching the match with a bunch of friends who have never seen speedway before. I winced every time I heard Pearson claim that a race was as good as you will ever see in the sport...I had to make sure that the others knew that he was talking nonsense when he said that. It surely does nothing for the sport when he makes such claims and it's patently not true...Anyone watching for the first time will hear that and think, "Oh, that's as good as it gets...no point watching that again."

Finally, I am pretty sure that Pearson and Louis WERE at the track...Nice imagination that they have if they weren't, given the comments about their commentary position and the people they spoke to earlier in the day ;)

I am possibly in a minority, but for the Gollob/Jonsson incident I thought the ref made a call that was right.

I would, however, agree that the commentary team make much more out of a race than there really is...I was watching the match with a bunch of friends who have never seen speedway before. I winced every time I heard Pearson claim that a race was as good as you will ever see in the sport...I had to make sure that the others knew that he was talking nonsense when he said that. It surely does nothing for the sport when he makes such claims and it's patently not true...Anyone watching for the first time will hear that and think, "Oh, that's as good as it gets...no point watching that again."

I'm very surprised that despite repeat showings of the rear angle view the commentators claimed Jonsson's leg was taken away. A perfect parallel is when a footballer stays on his feet in the penalty box despite the close attention of a defender and doesn't get a penalty given when it would be easier to fall down and gain such a decision. It was Jonsson's amazing speedy and dexterous ability to avoid the back wheel of Gollob that meant he was never touched. He lifted his leg over from the leading front of Gollob's wheel to behind the dirt deflector. Whilst that likely saved him from a horrible crash it also meant there was no contact and therefore Jonsson was excluded for coming off his bike and as such the cause of the stoppage.

I agree i also cringed when the commentator often said this is outstanding speedway etc when IT WAS NOT. The exact thought went through my mind at such times that, if anyone takes that statement at face value they will indeed think that this is the peak of the excitement and 'big deal'. I knew there was plenty of superior races to come - which there duly was. He doesn't seem able to read a race either, he'll say this is an amazing battle and it is clear that at the exit of the bend or down the straight the riders are about to be spread out. It's a very stupid and damaging exaggeration that does nothing but harm to the sport as far as keeping non speedway viewers tuned in.

Overall i enjoyed the meeting and there were plenty of subplots, too numerous to mention here, that made it a lively event and for Prague a fair smattering of good racing and incidents.

Just watching the re run on SS4

Did Nigel Pearson really say that Somerset fans can breathe a sigh of relief as Lubos Tomicek isn't as badly injured as first thought?

I'd wager they have their fingers crossed hoping he misses their next home meeting ;)

imo the ref made the correct the decision.

AJ was initially ahead of Gollob but left a gap for Gollob on the inside.

Gollob saw the gap and moved into it and AJ was still keeping his foot at the side of his bike.

Then when Gollob had almost past AJ, AJ decided to put his foot down in front of Gollobs backwheel and contact

was inevitable with the result of AJ falling.

Referee said there was no contact when speaking to Jonsson on the phone.

I think the heralding of a "new dawn" was entirely justified.

What Tony O did in Leszno was let the locals do the track as they usually do...I would guess he did the same in Prague. The difference is that Prague is always a crap track for any match, so no shock that they delivered the same for the GP...

Surely that is a problem.He should know when to let the locals get on with it and when they need help.Prague is always a problem and to just let the locals get on with it is a mistake :blink: Give him a bit of slack at the moment,but so far there has only been one GP that was any good imo.But at least it is open

Racism at its best, doubtless condoned by the BSF.

Well done Tomas Gollob; opens up the series even more.

Oh dear we do have a bee in ones bonnet don't we? My quote was a tongue in cheek remark as you well know, in fact it was something Nicki has said on many occasions but your memory probably isn't what it once was eh?

The poor GP's are back, time to get rid of this Olsson fella.

Shame for KB that he made a monumental error picking gate one in the semi, if he looked at the past ten heats he will see there was one win from gate one and that was thanks to a massive rolling start from Jason Crump.

If KB picked blue I have no doubt he would have added another GP win to his achievements this season.

Tai had his best GP to date, well done lad.

I'm still in 2 minds over the AJ/Gollob crash - my thought at the time was the ref got it right - AJ did sit up going into the turn and Gollob subsequently caught his leg.

Perhaps they need to go down the F1 route for the Grands Prix and introduce an ex-rider - i.e. a Chris Louis or Tony Rickardsson to the ref's box to assist in adjudication of such indiscretions?

Other thoughts:

*Sayfutdinov a very lucky boy - thank God for the airfence, that was nasty

*Can never count champions out can you? The performances of Crump & Pedersen were spectacular to get something out of nothing

*Good to see Wuffy doing well and Holder unlucky not to make it into final - the only win all night to the White gate was against him in his final heat.

*Fox Sports in Australia lost satellite transmission two laps into the final!!! It appeared as though with the meeting running late, they didn't have enough time booked!

*Overall a pretty standard meeting

Then when Gollob had almost past AJ, AJ decided to put his foot down in front of Gollobs backwheel and contact

He didn't need to put his foot down going into the the turn then?