British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Whose Idea Was It To Use Kings Lynn ?!?

i totally agree speedway in general is the trouble,grand prix has rearly cost elite clubs money cos riders are unavailable cos gps,how many times have riders had sick notes and not rode for the clubs cos a gp is coming up,sometimes its been 4 weeks until elite clubs have had home meetings,no wonder they are not getting good crowds cos people are losing interest,aty least with pl they no there riders are goin to be there.

With the exception of Edinburgh of course :lol:

No humble pie eating here. I stick to what I say. PL tracks should be nowhere near a major event.

do you love poole that much ,were you cheering for your team members,ward,watt,holder,did you have your aussie flag out

i totally agree speedway in general is the trouble,grand prix has rearly cost elite clubs money cos riders are unavailable cos gps,how many times have riders had sick notes and not rode for the clubs cos a gp is coming up,sometimes its been 4 weeks until elite clubs have had home meetings,no wonder they are not getting good crowds cos people are losing interest,aty least with pl they no there riders are goin to be there.

What like Thomas Bush And Chris Neath last night ? rolleyes.gif In the pl your getting riders who don't turn up for meetings because that have not got a bike as well riders being sick at Airports when they don't want get a average .

With the exception of Edinburgh of course :lol:

i have very good memories of edinburgh,i hope they find a new track,i have seen some of the best speedway ever at powderhall.

What like Thomas Bush And Chris Neath last night ? rolleyes.gif In the pl your getting riders who don't turn up for meetings because that have not got a bike as well riders being sick at Airports when they don't want get a average .

Whats Chris Neath got to do with it?

Edited by Shadders

Whats Chris Neath got to do with it?... He was held up in heavy traffic

But if he had an Elite League van that wouldn't of happened :D

Absolutely. I would have no problem at all. They will obviously disagree with my thoughts but I would certainly explain to them why I have this view. It's not Kings Lynn but any club in the PL I would have a problem with. These clubs wnt EL or world class stars at their track? Join the EL. Without the EL there would be no speedway in this country of any merit. We would be a speedway backwater more so than we are already.

PL pairs, 4TT and PLRC is as big as it should get for PL teams. Unless of course a deal has been done that the BSPA agreed for Kings Lynn to hoist this meeting as reward for them coming into the EL in 2011.

why ever would it be a reward,a reward for putting everything on the line ,and possibly getting no more people through the gate,were is the sense in that.more overheads,wage bills,just so your fans can see a dozen or so top riders a seoson,if they want to see that they will go to a gp,its called elite,it is no were near as competitive as it was ten years ago,the gap between elite and premier,is getting closer year by year,it will probably soon become one again,at the so called stars will have to chase the gp.

Maybe the question should have been whose idea was it to choose Vojens?

Edited by BritPete

Maybe the question should have been whose idea was it to choose Vojens?

So true never really understand why this venue is constantly used.

Did they use an air fence in the past couple of years at Rye when they hosted Under 21 qualifiers?

And will they have one in place for the Under 21 Team Final in September?

No, and unlikely.

So true never really understand why this venue is constantly used.

It is Ole Olsen's track.

Many years ago Ole Olsen, World Champion in Speedway at the time, had a vision to build a Speedway Arena for his bellowed sport,

near his hometown Haderslev. Anyone who doubted Ole Olsen's determination in overcoming all odds, should have realized, that they

were talking about the man who was used to make dreams come true.

Ole Olsen, the first Danish rider, to win the World Championship, had already placed Denmark on the map, but when people asked,

where they could see the sport in Denmark, he had to disappoint them. There was no international track.

Therefore Ole Olsen said to himself:"I will build a track!" and he did. In cooperation with his partner at the time, Aage Søndergaard,

he convinced Vojens city council, who also liked the idea, and got a piece of land at his disposal.

They formed a club, sailed 1.500 tons of shale from England to Denmark and build a speedway track.

Source: http://www.speedway....istory&hl=en_US

Edited by Ghostwalker

Loads of clubs have the same problem but find a way round it. At Lakeside not just the airfence but the entire safety fence has to be erected and taken down on raceday and I am sure there must be others in the same situation.

Where there's a will theres away. If you can't get volunteers you have to offer some kind of inducement such as free admission or some other kind of financial incentive. I can't believe its beyond the wit of businessmen to get airfences erected if they really want to. The advertisements on the airfence more than pay the cost of getting it up and down. KL had no touble finding someone to put the airfence up and down when they wanted to stage the SWC qualifier, so why not every meeting ?

Whats more important a few quid to get an airfence up or rider safety ?

Myself and two others volunteered our services and was told we would get free admission, gave the Chapmans our numbers to be contacted and never heard from them, we just got told when asking them "there wasn't enough volunteers".

I shall try to explain.

This question has come up so often and it has nothing to do with the Chapman's not wanting an air fence, they have no one to put it up.

We bought Oxfords old air fence when they folded to be used in all speedway events. Because they have stockcars most weekends and other events during the week the air fence could only be put up on race day and taken down on race day.

On Monday, yes it was Peterborough's air fence and they had about a crew of 10 to erect it and take it down. To put it up took about 3-4 hours & took it down in about 2 hours.

Our promotion on several occasions has asked for 10 volunteers to put up the air fence on race days and they could only get, off the top of my head, 4 to put it up but they couldn't make it every week and 2 to take it down (I offered my services for both). They even advertised in the local paper to asking for help and got nothing. They spent around £10k on a pissing air fence they couldn't use.

I believe also that there is / was a rule that once a team uses an air fence at a league event it must be used at all times or face fines. Which, obviously our club couldn't commit to that.

The promotion isn't to blame for this, I blame the KL fans who gob off at every occasion that we should have an air fence then can't be ass'd when helps required.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Screamer, but if that really is the official line from the promotion, then it has to be one of the most ridiculous excuses I have ever heard and as I said in my original post, they obviously have scant regard for the well being of the riders (both their own and visitors) racing at their track.

As has been mentioned on this thread, most other clubs also have to take down their airfences for either stock cars, or so that the greyhound track isn't obscured. I find it hard to believe that with some perks (free admission, club merchandise etc.) enough volunteers couldn't be found, but even if that were the case, this is supposedly a professional promotion, operating a professional sports stadium with a team of skilled professional riders. Maybe they have to pay a little extra and get some professional air fence fitters to do the job properly... Or if things are really that bad, ask the riders and see if they and their mechanics can lend a hand.

I fully accept that the existing fences at some tracks (such as Rye House) are already much safer than a fence like Kings Lynn's (largely due to it's collapsible nature and the lack of anything solid behind it) but unless there is a genuinely independent commission that evaluates each track on its own merits and has the powers to insist on improvements, then airfences really have to be made compulsory across the board because there are still many promoters who appear to have their heads wedged well and truly in the sand (which is still preferable to having your head wedged into a solid wooden board...

KL had no touble finding someone to put the airfence up and down when they wanted to stage the SWC qualifier, so why not every meeting ?

maybe because the Peterborough track staff that came to KL with the fence wouldn't be able to make it every week.

They spent around £10k on a pissing air fence they couldn't use.

The promotion isn't to blame for this, I blame the KL fans who gob off at every occasion that we should have an air fence then can't be ass'd when helps required.

they can use the airfence but ain't willing to pay(going by your post) anybody to put it up