British Speedway Forum
Mateusz

Swc Final, Vojens, 31/07/2010

Pugwash, why was it a big mistake by Lyon, he had to play it at some point, yes he could have waited for Scott or Lee, but even then, who said it wouldn't have back fired. Harris came out a blitzed his previous heat, he's the plank for changing his set up, he had no need to.

You answered your own question.....Harris should have been on the Joker in that earlier ride that he blitzed. We were shouting at the TV for Lyon to do so. but no - The law of the sod meant that Harris won the races either side of his Joker ride and ended up on his backside for the double points race.

Team GB did as well as could be expected. Respectable 4th place was the best we could hope for before the meeting and that's what we got!

Edit - Bagpuss left the laptop logged in....post was actually by Jenn!! I'll be in bother when he realises I've lost where he was up to in this thread....!! :unsure:

Edited by Bagpuss

So Harris blitzed his rides either side of his "Joker" appearance and yet fluffed the one that really mattered? Maybe he'd have fluffed the ride before had the pressure of the "Joker" been on him? We'll never know. However, it made sense to deploy it when Lyon did. The ride before was a programmed ride and had Harris, Britain's best performer, been on the "Joker" then he would've been ruled out of an additional ride. It makes sense to deploy the "Joker" as part of a tactical substitute move.

So Harris blitzed his rides either side of his "Joker" appearance and yet fluffed the one that really mattered? Maybe he'd have fluffed the ride before had the pressure of the "Joker" been on him? We'll never know. However, it made sense to deploy it when Lyon did. The ride before was a programmed ride and had Harris, Britain's best performer, been on the "Joker" then he would've been ruled out of an additional ride. It makes sense to deploy the "Joker" as part of a tactical substitute move.

Quite right Lady Luck,Rob Lyon would have looked good had it come off, damed if he does and damed if he don't!! As i said he had to do it at some point!! ;)

Pietersen and Trott never played a test match for South Africa thou did they Morgan played one day Cricket for Ireland but yet again not a test match .

Holta has no doubt rode for Norway at senior and maybe even the World Cup thats the big thing Polish passport or no Polish passport .

Morgan never played a Test Match for Ireland because they don't play Test Cricket. He did play 25 one day internationals for them though. He played for England one month after he played for Ireland.

Rob Lyons tactics were spot on at the time. The issues as I see it, Bomber bottling the joker and Nicholls scoring 5, even, possibly, leaving Stead in rather than using Danny King.

I wouldn't waste your breath salty. I think just about everyone realises you can only get so much out of what you have.

The Poles are where they are because they have a raft of riders coming through.

The Aussie would have been there if they fielded the strongest team and look at the quality riders coming through.

The Danes have them coming through the ranks.

The authorities really need to get a grip because if Team GB are successful on the world stage, it might filter down to better attendances here.

The round two of U-21 World Final at Daugavpils on 14th August shows which countries are getting through with their youngsters:

3 Poles – Dudek, Janowski and Pawlicki

2 Danes – Bach, Hougaard

2 Germans – Facher, Woelbert

2 Latvians – Bogdanov, Gieruckis

2 Russians – A. Laguta, Tarasenko

1 Australian – Ward

1 Croat - Pavlic

1 Czech – Kus

1 Slovak - Vaculik

1 Swede - Andersson

Rob Lyons tactics were spot on at the time. The issues as I see it, Bomber bottling the joker and Nicholls scoring 5, even, possibly, leaving Stead in rather than using Danny King.

I said it tonight. Bomber ( on TV was blaming himself for the failure)..was wrong. It's all about if's and buts, but he didn't get the support ( other riders NOT scoring) for whatever reason tonight. It was the correct team choice for the six, I have no doubts about that. None of the others deserved a slot ( Danny excluded)... :)

Edited by Jacques

Maybe he'd have fluffed the ride before had the pressure of the "Joker" been on him?

He didn't bottle it did he, unless that means he failed in his attempt, he admitted to making changes to his bike that didn't work, he then put it back to his previous setting and won his next too arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but good on him for admitting his mistake.

So the Poles won, well they jolly well should, their riders have the most money and the most track time of any of the countries, they're lucky eh!

Edited by Trees

Quite right Lady Luck,Rob Lyon would have looked good had it come off, damed if he does and damed if he don't!! As i said he had to do it at some point!! wink.gif

Saying he damed if he does and damed does is a silly comment...it was a poor choice because of the gate putting 500 quid shot on a 50-1 would look good if it comes off but it's not likely to .

As for having to do it some point a reason for him doing it at the wrong time ?

Have to say the Swedes were desperately disappointing, especially Fredrik Lindgren who just doesn't seem able to hack it at the highest levels. In mastering Monmore has he sacrificed more than he's gained?

By mastering all the other tracks in the country as the leagues number one u mean? :rolleyes:

So the Poles won, well they jolly well should, their riders have the most money and the most track time of any of the countries, they're lucky eh!

Hmmm I fail to understand where they would get the most track time whilst in Denmark?

I think they meant most track time in general, not most track time at the World Cup final.

By mastering all the other tracks in the country as the leagues number one u mean? :rolleyes:

Big fish; little pond, I fear.

I think they meant most track time in general, not most track time at the World Cup final.

None of the Polish team race in Britain, so if anything they all have less competitive track time than most of the other riders featured in the final. There are only about twenty league meetings per rider in Poland and a similar amount in Sweden.

The round two of U-21 World Final at Daugavpils on 14th August shows which countries are getting through with their youngsters

I don't think that the list of current riders in the U21 series tells the whole story.

Two of the best U21 riders, Sajfutdinov and Woffinden, aren't involved as they are concentrating on the SGP instead.

Where does this one come from?

Not sure if you have noticed, but the Polish league teams have far fewer matches than British teams...

Also, if the media are to be believed, the list of the highest paid riders in the World certainly includes riders well above several of the Polish team that raced in the SWC...