British Speedway Forum
Mateusz

Swc Final, Vojens, 31/07/2010

In the end, Great Britain were only 6 points behind the silver medal place

If Scott Nicholls had bothered to turn up, GB could well have made 2nd place

Mind you, the Swedes can probably say the same about Lindgren

Well done to Chris Harris, only Gollob won more races

At LFC, we dream of a team of Carraghers

Perhaps GB should dream of a team of Harrises!

The worry, though, is that the five selected riders are still probably our top 5

Who's coming through?

We must make more places available in our leagues for home-grown riders

I dream of ...

1. Peter Collins

2. Dave Jessup

3. John Louis

4. Malc Simmons

5. Chris Morton

6. Michael Lee (1978-80)

7. Ray Wilson

8. Gary Havelock

9. Kenny Carter

10.John Davis

11.Les Collins

12.Phil Collins

13.Martin Ashby

14.Gordon Kennett

15.Simon Cross

16.Mark Loram

17.Chris Louis

18.Martin Dugard

19.Simon Wigg

20.Jem Doncaster

21.Doug Wyer

and even Kelvin Tatum !!! ... shows just how far we have slipped from the days when we had to think who to leave out and how to tell them ! :(

I dream of ...

1. Peter Collins

2. Dave Jessup

3. John Louis

4. Malc Simmons

5. Chris Morton

6. Michael Lee (1978-80)

7. Ray Wilson

8. Gary Havelock

9. Kenny Carter

10.John Davis

11.Les Collins

12.Phil Collins

13.Martin Ashby

14.Gordon Kennett

15.Simon Cross

16.Mark Loram

17.Chris Louis

18.Martin Dugard

19.Simon Wigg

20.Jem Doncaster

21.Doug Wyer

and even Kelvin Tatum !!! ... shows just how far we have slipped from the days when we had to think who to leave out and how to tell them ! :(

It is a list of riders spanning about 20 years or more if you take them at their best.This year we just can pick from the best at the moment.But if we produce a list from this year and going back 20 years,we can include some of the riders in your list as well.There were a few(and only a few if you look back at our history)when we produced a crop of good riders.To have a period like we are in now isn't a one off.We had to bolsted our squad with Antipodeans for quite a while because we couldn't produce enough quality of our own.........

As for the comment that it's a British coverage so it should concentrate on the GB position.. Well, that's like saying that the commentary on the 2012 Olympics 100 metres Final should ignore the race between Bolt and Gay for the Gold medal and concentrate only on the GB athlete finishing sixth or seventh... It wouldn't happen in that sport and frankly it insulted our intelligence as Speedway fans that Pearson & Tatum did what they did yesterday...

Now that's not what I said at all, I did not say they should concentrate on the GB position, I said they were doing it because it was being broadcast to Britain.

If you could see other countries broadcast of the same pictures, you get their countries commentators putting their slant on whats happening, with the emphasis on their riders, that's all I said.....It's the same the world over

Makes no difference.

GB would still have bottled it at the end, as they did.

Yet again, got into a medal positions (2 up on Sweden) and bottled it.

Totally wrong attitudes once again from the off.

"We're aiming for bronze". They should be aiming to win, not likely, but that should still be their aim.

Your quite right, there were times in the meeting where they were within shouting distance of the lead, and if attitudes or bikes were better then they may have got a lot nearer to poland!

For those that missed the world cup due to change of channels to avoid red button coverage the meeting is being shown again on Wednesday and Thursday evening again in HD

In the end, Great Britain were only 6 points behind the silver medal place

If Scott Nicholls had bothered to turn up, GB could well have made 2nd place

Nicholls not at his best, Steady just never at the races, Richardson made some silly mistakes when in front, Bomber fluffing the Joker, Rob Lyon choosing the wrong race for the joker(given the amount of race winners from gate 2 previous to that). After Kings Lynn i had some hope for Vojens despite knowing it would be more of a gate and go kind of track after seeing the race-off. I think Rob Lyon is the right man for the job but on the day i think he made 2 errors, first of all the team selection, now Simon Stead done an excellent job at Kings Lynn but surely after seeing the track conditions at the Race-Off the alarm bells must've been going off, slick track gating vitally more important than ever, maybe Danny King would've been a better choice. Simon Stead is a racer, never has been a gater, nothing against him at all i just think King would've been a better choice. Secondly the Tac Joker ride, now surely as a manager you have to get the best out of your team as individuals and collectively, with that in mind to get the best out of the joker ride you have to try and give your best rider the best gate in order to maximize the chances of 6pts so to give Harris the impossible task of making a start of gate 2 just beggars belief. Finally does anybody else agree that on the World stage 'some' of Team GB need to make their presence felt in the first corners more

For those that missed the world cup due to change of channels to avoid red button coverage the meeting is being shown again on Wednesday and Thursday evening again in HD

I had the SWC on series link and it says its been recorded today at 5pm on ss4 but nothing in planner! now can't change channel without cancelling a recording! anyone know if it was on at 5pm?

Karl

The problem for Gollob is he's not in Poland now. He should have been excluded in event one in Poland when he fell off unaided. Things have a habit of levelling themselves up.

Absolute rubbish from you and your mate 'Sudden'. As it transpired the poor decision to exclude Gollob from his first heat made no difference as when the track became 'danish' TG showed his true class and, along with the rest of the Polish team, were too good and won. Well done Poland.

As for the idiots who keep going on about Holta riding for Poland - get a life please and drop the subject. There are enough examples in other sports - athletics, Mo Farrah born in Somalia - all the South Africans in the England cricket team - Greg Rusedski - Zola Budd - Lennox Lewis - Owen Hargreaves - Briggs & Mauger riding for Great Britain (?!), etc. etc. There have been many examples of speedway riders riding under different licences.

As for the idiots who keep going on about Holta riding for Poland - get a life please and drop the subject. There are enough examples in other sports - athletics, Mo Farrah born in Somalia - all the South Africans in the England cricket team - Greg Rusedski - Zola Budd - Lennox Lewis - Owen Hargreaves - Briggs & Mauger riding for Great Britain (?!), etc. etc. There have been many examples of speedway riders riding under different licences.

Don't forget that Mark Loram was born in Malta, so what was he doing riding for England??? Ronnie Moore was Australian, Dave Gifford was English...

I think the problem with these situations in speedway is the way it is done, and I'm not talking about Commonwealth riders representing GB. In most sporting cases, the individuals have become naturalised, which of course, is perfectly acceptable. Personally, I think that switching countries by simply taking out a racing licence in another country is questionable to say the least. That leaves the system wide open to abuse, although in the case of Andreas Jonsson (assuming that what I have read about him is true) such a switch would be justified.

Some of you on here know that I am involved in international sport, but having been born and raised in the UK, I now represent the United States. I have not taken out US citizenship - yet - but I've lived in the US for 18 years, am married to an American, own property here, pay taxes here, and am considered by the US government to be a legal PERMANENT resident. I compete almost exclusively on the US tournament circuit, and I do feel that I have every right to be considered an American for sporting purposes. Incidentally, when I am competing in the UK, I am taxed as an American, which means that I can pay taxes on a loss...

Steve

PS You forgot Martina Navratilova...

Are there ? as has been pointed out The South Aficans cricketers never played for anyone else at test level ,Lennox Lewis was born in the uk, Rusedski mum was Britsh ,Owen Hargreaves dad was British ,Mo Farrah has only ran for Great Britain and Zola Budd read the Daily Mail .

The problem with Holta is that not only has got nothing to do with Poland in terms of birth or relatives he has already rode for Norway at senior level and in my mind him now riding For Poland is wrong in a team event .

It is a list of riders spanning about 20 years or more if you take them at their best.This year we just can pick from the best at the moment.But if we produce a list from this year and going back 20 years,we can include some of the riders in your list as well.There were a few(and only a few if you look back at our history)when we produced a crop of good riders.To have a period like we are in now isn't a one off.We had to bolsted our squad with Antipodeans for quite a while because we couldn't produce enough quality of our own.........

I guess the issue at the moment is that as soon as we have someone coming through and stepping up to the plate ... we have someone retire........ and sadly in recent years they have been slightly better.... it feels like one step forward ...one and a bit backwards

also our 'top guys' have seemed to be touched by the crap gating stick for what seems like decades now...... for sure the likes of Scott and Bomber can overcome that and gain good averages in the EL..... but place them next to the world's best (& Rune :P) and it is easy to work out what is odds on to happen

and imho it is only going to get worse with the after effects of this tidal wave of antipodean whizz kids..... whatever the reasons are for the low amounts of Brits in the league system, it quite clearly isnt going to improve the quality of our riders at the top end

all that said it cant be anything other than disappointing that the young guns who were given their chance last year have not kicked on

Are there ? as has been pointed out The South Aficans cricketers never played for anyone else at test level ,Lennox Lewis was born in the uk, Rusedski mum was Britsh ,Owen Hargreaves dad was British ,Mo Farrah has only ran for Great Britain and Zola Budd read the Daily Mail .

The problem with Holta is that not only has got nothing to do with Poland in terms of birth or relatives he has already rode for Norway at senior level and in my mind him now riding For Poland is wrong in a team event .

:lol:

Your hero Rico gave me a good laugh tonight too.. Put 'em up :lol:

Lennox Lewis won gold in 1988 Olympics representing Canada then he switched.

My father rode for England in the World Cup and in World Finals

And won the Best pairs for NZ with Ivan Mauger.

Well done to Poland on their win (and on next years victory lol), the best team on the day! Very pleased with our display, particularly with Bombers performance :)