British Speedway Forum

Taking picks based on nationality is, was and always will be bollocks. To have a mediocre rider in the mix, while a far better sits on the fence is just wrong. And basing it on nationality, should't Germany, Finland, Italy or the Ukranie get one in? Not good enough? well I can think of one ridre proving lack of skill this year, but is up for a wild card based on nationality.

Let the best riders compete, regardless of nationality.

I agree completely, but the sad truth seems to be that BSI runs the show and BSI is run by British people. It will, however, get progressively harder for BSI to base nominations on nationality. The Poles are dominant; the Russians a rising force and other "minor" nations have their stars rising. There's Bogdanovs in Latvia, Vaculik in Slovakia. Britain is getting left behind.

Taking picks based on nationality is, was and always will be bollocks. To have a mediocre rider in the mix, while a far better sits on the fence is just wrong. And basing it on nationality, should't Germany, Finland, Italy or the Ukranie get one in? Not good enough? well I can think of one ridre proving lack of skill this year, but is up for a wild card based on nationality.

And to be honest, does Sky gets more viewers if Tai gets a nod and keep on going like ha has done this year? I can imagine that plenty of the british viewers just get upset about watching Tai loose heat after heat. And i am pretty sure two or three GBs in Cardiff dont make any matter to the audience. Like the rest of the fans around the world, they are interested of sucessful riders. Sweden has had three riders this year, but all the struggle for AJ and Lindgren has just left me with a big disappointment. I prefer one good swedish rider than three unsucessful riders.

Maybe Sky and BSI have another perspective and can identify some great income that i cant.

It's not even about nationality. It's about TV markets for BSI's "media partners" (ugh ! - horrible expression :angry: )

However, I think Sky would be better off focusing on Bomber and quietly forgetting about Tai and letting him concentrate on domestic leagues. "The Second Coming" hasn't really worked out, has it? All a bit too much too young for Tai this year.

I'm sure that the Polish TV companies will be throwing money at BSI in the wake of Gollob's title, so it would make sense for Kolodzeij to take the "GB" place for next year.

And to be honest, does Sky gets more viewers if Tai gets a nod and keep on going like ha has done this year? I can imagine that plenty of the british viewers just get upset about watching Tai loose heat after heat. And i am pretty sure two or three GBs in Cardiff dont make any matter to the audience. Like the rest of the fans around the world, they are interested of sucessful riders. Sweden has had three riders this year, but all the struggle for AJ and Lindgren has just left me with a big disappointment. I prefer one good swedish rider than three unsucessful riders.

Maybe Sky and BSI have another perspective and can identify some great income that i cant.

I agree, what's the point in having 2 Brits if the second Brit is just making up the numbers. I fail to see how that can benefit the series.

I agree, what's the point in having 2 Brits if the second Brit is just making up the numbers. I fail to see how that can benefit the series.

Who would have thought though that a speedway giant like Sweden dont have any riders in the top 8 ..... so Britain have done well and have done just as the Danes have done with only 1 top 8 rider !

Nicki

Emil

Janusz

Jonsson

Must be those four surely.

Pedersen has really hit some form lately, he will spend the winter sorting his team and gear out and I expect a huge comeback from him next year.

Emil must be given a place due to missing the whole year practically through injury.

Janusz has been sensational in his two GP showings this year and has been strong in both Poland and Swedens top flights.

Jonsson just missed out and has always been in amongst the top 8 until this year.

If Woffiden gets another wildcard or any other Brit for that matter, it will be an outrage.

Who would have thought though that a speedway giant like Sweden dont have any riders in the top 8 ..... so Britain have done well and have done just as the Danes have done with only 1 top 8 rider !

It's no great surprise to me that Sweden are starting to struggle. Their league is just as dominated by "foreign" riders as the British leagues.

Edited by ladyluck

It's no great surprise to me that Sweden are starting to struggle. Their league is just as dominated by "foreign" riders as the British leagues.

So what you are saying i sthat Lindgren and AJ will perform worse in the Gps just because we have many foreign riders?

And btw we have two great talents in THJ and Dennis Andersson despite the foreign riders and Simon G is pretty good too.

Its actually an interested issue if many foreign riders in the domestic league gives good or bad outcome. Sweden dont have a rider like Tony anymore but we he young riders like Lindgren, Antonio, Davidsson, THJ and Dennis Andersson even if we have plenty of foreign riders in the league. But Denmark has a "low class" league and still have plenty of good riders. So whats the best?

Britain is getting left behind.

Britain is getting left behind because speedway is a non-existent sport for the majority of people I suspect. I just wonder what percentage of youngsters in this country know of its existence in the first place. I would imagine it is only those whose parents have taken them to matches, ridden schoolboy grasstrack/motocross or their dads used to ride.

With all the top quality riders missing out so it seems does the format now need tinkering to include 20 riders in the series ? The world cup format sees every rider race each other so with a bit of thought and modification surely this would give more riders a chance to make an impression in the series ?

Polish Motorcycle Federatiom (PZM) boss has just confirmed on telly that Kolodziej will be given a wild card for 2011 :)

Polish Motorcycle Federatiom (PZM) boss has just confirmed on telly that Kolodziej will be given a wild card for 2011 :)

Excellent news!! :wink:

Nicki

Emil

Janusz

Jonsson

Must be those four surely.

Pedersen has really hit some form lately, he will spend the winter sorting his team and gear out and I expect a huge comeback from him next year.

Emil must be given a place due to missing the whole year practically through injury.

Janusz has been sensational in his two GP showings this year and has been strong in both Poland and Swedens top flights.

Jonsson just missed out and has always been in amongst the top 8 until this year.

If Woffiden gets another wildcard or any other Brit for that matter, it will be an outrage.

Completely agree - it has to be these four.

The more they try to please every nation the more of a farce the field becomes, they should all qualify during the year the world championship is, 2011 for the 2011 competition! Turn some of the GPs into qualifiers ..........

I agree with the sentiments but the reality is actually that we have just experienced one of the strongest world championships ...... for a flawed system they are actually making a good fist of it

After tonight, I think the four seeded riders for 2011 should be:

1. Nicki Pedersen

2. Emil Sajfutdinov

3. Andreas Jonsson

4. Janusz Kolodziej

All the best

Rob

can't disagree but I think it could/should be a close thing between Hans and Kolodziej....... it can easily be argued that Hans has dropped out of the top 8 due to injury and that there is no denying that he is on the pace of the top 8...... quota is in his favour compared to Janusz...... previous chances and not realising his potential arent in his favour

Taking picks based on nationality is, was and always will be bollocks.

i'd love a return to the days of a world championship with integrity and deserving places based on results...... but times have changed

BSI runs the show and BSI is run by British people.

More to the point IMG are a corporation who make the majority of their speedway money from Cardiff and feel that there is an relationship between amount of Brits at Cardiff and bums on seats......... personally I think they are wrong

cant disagree with the nomination tbh.... Janusz has elevated himself to world class status this season and deserves it.......... more than a little suprised about the effect on 'quota' though.... it is out of character of IMG

however isnt the usual process..... FIM nominations and then IMG take those into account and make final decisions? ... this news seems a little premature like Ed Kennett's 'nomination' was last year