British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FenTiger666

Mildenhall - Who Decides Who The New Promoter Is?

What sad sad days these are for Mildenhall speedway, reading all the comments on this page, it seems to me very unlikely to be any speedway their next season :sad: It also seems to me this Dave Coventry (who I dont know and dont want to reading these posts :wink: ) is a very belligerent and arrogant person who will stand his ground no matter what :angry: He has no consideration whatsoever of the Mildenhall fans, just his own idealism on rent which in this climate seems totally unrealistic :sad:

Am I just very naive or what ?, Mr Coventry owns the stadium and asks a rent he thinks is the market rate, he has according to Mr Crane on twitter and in the printed newspaper, agreed a deal with someone to run speedway at Mildenhall next season, now that is not our business so why are some people apparently obsessed by that (unless they were wanting to get involved themselves), our interests should be that the Fen Tigers live to fight another day, the new promotor who ever he is deserves a lot of credit for taking it on, it's not going to be easy, but as a supporter all I ask is a team that can be competetive at West Row, and a regular supply of sausages and chips. Stop the negativity lets all look forward to March/April 2011 and a new speedway season. Thats waht it's all about 4 blokes on bikes, forget the politics of the sport leave that to others.

Am I just very naive or what ?, Mr Coventry owns the stadium and asks a rent he thinks is the market rate, he has according to Mr Crane on twitter and in the printed newspaper, agreed a deal with someone to run speedway at Mildenhall next season, now that is not our business so why are some people apparently obsessed by that (unless they were wanting to get involved themselves), our interests should be that the Fen Tigers live to fight another day, the new promotor who ever he is deserves a lot of credit for taking it on, it's not going to be easy, but as a supporter all I ask is a team that can be competetive at West Row, and a regular supply of sausages and chips. Stop the negativity lets all look forward to March/April 2011 and a new speedway season. Thats waht it's all about 4 blokes on bikes, forget the politics of the sport leave that to others.

The only thing I am obsessed with is that the Fen Tigers cannot afford to fold mid season again, or run an uncompetitive team for a season.

With EL racing at Kings Lynn and hopefully Peterborough, and PL racing every Thursday at Ipswich I fear for the future of the Fen Tigers if someone thinks they can run at West Row on £1300 per meeting rent and yet again we have the quote that everything is there and ready at West Row ready to run speedway. The simple facts are, unless a whole new set of gear has been bought since last summer, that is far from the truth.

Also no one in their right mind would say that £1300 is the market rate for renting a track for speedway in 2011, especially at NL level, and it is only for the track as the stadium keeps all the food and bar revenue itself. The speedway promotion only makes revenue on race days through people paying at the gate. Check out other threads and promoters comments on rent, they are going down due to the current climate.

The gear is old, breaks down frequently, there is no fence, and very few trackstaff left who know how to put it up safely. I hope the stadium is not expecting their manual labour staff to the job, if they do I fear for rider safety which is always a concern at West Row with the alcove behind the fence.

Of course there is also the issue of the potential new promoter getting a licence which may not be a foregone solution, although with the BSPA nowadays Arthur Daley and Del Boy would be deemed "fit and proper".

Lets hope you get competitive racing all season, for the whole season at West Row in 2011.

Edited by FenTiger666

Hope this guy has deep pockets, he's going to need them

I think we all hope for deep pockets but in that we are no different to the majority of speedway supporters because most tracks lose money.

Mr Barton it must be your round??

Bloody hell, Steve.

He'll be leaving the country with you making statements like that :o:D

What sad sad days these are for Mildenhall speedway, reading all the comments on this page, it seems to me very unlikely to be any speedway their next season It also seems to me this Dave Coventry (who I dont know and dont want to reading these posts ) is a very belligerent and arrogant person who will stand his ground no matter what He has no consideration whatsoever of the Mildenhall fans, just his own idealism on rent which in this climate seems totally unrealistic

With one notorious exception, I have always found Dave and his brother Ron to be very reasonable indeed and it seems that Simon (who had a lot more contact) did too.

It must not be forgotten that he is a businessman (not a charity) and therefore he will get a deal that suits him. Having said that, he will be very much aware that he can make a few quid on Sundays by having the speedway at West Row or alternatively make nothing by having it empty on that day.

Great post :o:D . Agree completely :approve:

Its a shame theres all this red tape and bureaucracy around who promotes at Mildenhall. Its a lovely little track and stadium and all the poor suffering fans want is a team to support and watch each week or so. Anyway all you fans at Mildenhall all the best hope things work out for you all from your neighbouring fans down the A14 at Ipswich.

What is also a shame, is that Ipswich, over the years, hasn't linked up with Mildenhall to create a 'feeder' for Ipswich. I don't know if it still happened before they closed, but the track used to offer regular training facilities. In fact, the area is a 'hotbed' for motorcycle racing training, as nearby is the excellent Chippenham Moto X training track. I also think, Andy Lee (Michael's Dad), has a training track nearby. It surely does have a future and even with Ipswich joining the PL, could still act as a 'feeder'. After all, due to the strict curfew at Foxhall, there is no training at Foxhall Stadium.

What is also a shame, is that Ipswich, over the years, hasn't linked up with Mildenhall to create a 'feeder' for Ipswich. I don't know if it still happened before they closed, but the track used to offer regular training facilities. In fact, the area is a 'hotbed' for motorcycle racing training, as nearby is the excellent Chippenham Moto X training track. I also think, Andy Lee (Michael's Dad), has a training track nearby. It surely does have a future and even with Ipswich joining the PL, could still act as a 'feeder'. After all, due to the strict curfew at Foxhall, there is no training at Foxhall Stadium.

I believe there was some extent of a 'link' with Ipswich over the last couple of seasons, with the loans of Witches assets Olly Rayson, Joe Jacobs (I think) and then last season, Jerran Hart, too.

I'd hope that if Ipswich have any other youngsters that need to kick-off their careers in the NL, in readiness for a future in the PL - then they'd consider loaing them to Mildenhall, if indeed the Fen Tigers do return in 2011, which now seems more likely.

Considering we seem to have the break-through of a promoter willing to agree terms with Mr Coventry on rent, and now pursue a licence to operate - I'd have thought that must be good news for all those with an interest in the Fen Tigers.

Cause for optimism at least, I'd have thought - let's hope that the arrangements are completed successfully and that the Fen Tigers have an enjoyable 2011 season with a competitive team! :approve:

Edited by neil3065

Cause for optimism at least, I'd have thought - let's hope that the arrangements are completed successfully and that the Fen Tigers have an enjoyable 2011 season with a competitive team! :approve:

Hopefully, would be a great bit of positive news :approve:

A Merry Xmas to all Fen Tigers fans hope you have plenty of ribbons on your tree this festive season ;)

[/quote hmm. cryptic clue to new promoter?

A Merry Xmas to all Fen Tigers fans hope you have plenty of ribbons on your tree this festive season ;)

It's Christmas - original posting amended. Why not just try to give whoever it is your backing? If you get the Fen Tigers back then surely it's worth it?

Sniping as you have in earlier postings before any promotion is even confirmed is surely not helping the Fen Tigers who you profess so much to love. Surely you don't want the promotion to fail even before it starts or is this about you and your opinions than the future of Mildenhall speedway? Of course it needs a stable promotion but undermining any incoming one doesn't exactly give it a fair chance does it?

If not well perhaps it would be better for Mildenhall Speedway if you do walk away as you have threatened to do.

Also, if you know the identity of an incoming promoter why do you have to make a rather clumsy cryptic comment. Surely it is better to state what you know or keep silent?

Rob McCaffery.

Edited by rmc

It's Christmas - original posting amended. Why not just try to give whoever it is your backing? If you get the Fen Tigers back then surely it's worth it?

Sniping as you have in earlier postings before any promotion is even confirmed is surely not helping the Fen Tigers who you profess so much to love. Surely you don't want the promotion to fail even before it starts or is this about you and your opinions than the future of Mildenhall speedway? Of course it needs a stable promotion but undermining any incoming one doesn't exactly give it a fair chance does it?

If not well perhaps it would be better for Mildenhall Speedway if you do walk away as you have threatened to do.

Also, if you know the identity of an incoming promoter why do you have to make a rather clumsy cryptic comment. Surely it is better to state what you know or keep silent?

Rob McCaffery.

Didnt read your original post Mr McCaffery, if you have something to say and you truly believe what you are saying, have the conviction to say it and stick to it, dont change it, it underminds your posting.

For the record I have not been sniping at all, I have just been giving my opinions which I am totally at libility to do under the fules of this forum.

I have also not threatened to walk away, as a fan I have walked away due to the goings on over the last couple of months. As a fan it is up to me who I support and I cannot support anything that has occured in recent months.

This is not about me im just one fan, no one is bigger than the club, this is about the long term future of the Fen Tigers as that is all that matters.

I have concerns and have voiced them.

However in the spirit of Christmas, with no amendments required I will no longer post my thoughts on this subject :blink:

Well for once I agree with Mr Postie totally even down to the suasage and chips.

I hope speedway will return to West Row this coming season.

I think that there is every chance that this will be the case.

But everyone must support the new Promoter and help him or her in every possible way.

Rome was not built in a day and there is a huge re-building job to be doen here.

May I wish all of my friends at Mildenhall a Very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

For Postie Norwich to win at Palace we'd both like the mighty Canaries to do that.

For Phil K hope you survive the onslaught from the mighty Trawler Boys which who think visit Bury tomorrow or soon anyway.

For Halifax I still support a points limit reduction in the NL my beliefs could have kept your team alive last season.

For Fen Tigers 666 I hope your team returns and that is for everybody who like me has worn a black and yellow scarf at some time with enormous pride.

It has to be too good to lose

Malcolm Vasey

Edited by Proud Potter

May I wish all of my friends at Mildenhall a Very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

For Phil K hope you survive the onslaught from the mighty Trawler Boys which who think visit Bury tomorrow or soon anyway.

Compliments of the season to you Malcolm, hope you are in fine fettle!

It's tomorrow at Bury hopefully :unsure: if not I believe there is a possibility of Tuesday afternoon as a 'reserve' day, be good to see you if you fancy a boat trip down to Suffolk.

Well for once I agree with Mr Postie totally even down to the suasage and chips.

Malcolm Vasey

Come on Malcolm it's not that unusual for us to agree, its about 50/50 I think !

Compliments of the season to you, will you be bringing the potters down to West Row this season or do you have other plans for 20011 ?

Come on Malcolm it's not that unusual for us to agree, its about 50/50 I think !

Compliments of the season to you, will you be bringing the potters down to West Row this season or do you have other plans for 20011 ?

I hope that will be the case.

We plan as good a team as the rules will allow for our supporters

I always enjoy my times at West Row whether spectating or with a team.

There is no fast food in speedway to match the chip stall.

I sincerley hope that Mildenhall will return next season

Malcolm Vasey