British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Riders You Would Pay To Watch

DD - I certainly have no problem with you personally, and welcome anyone's opinion (in general). I did feel that "This thread is a load of old cobblers" and "What sad people you are" was unnecessary and a little disrespectful to tmc, who started the thread, and those who posted answers. I believe the purpose of the thread was to promote answers such as my original post. (particularly re Pratt, because I really would pay good money to see him ride)

If I got the wrong end of the stick I apologise.

:wink::P

I must say i don`t see the problem with such a thread.Some Artists sell paintings for thousands of pounds and some for two bob.That is because some are better than others and there is more demand for there work.You cant claim that anyone who put brush to canvas is of equal interest as Titian.The same goes for Speedway riders.Some earn more money because there is an obvious demand to see them.I think Ronnie Moore doubled Wimbledons gates when he made his come back.As Voltaire said DD "every one has the right to free speech and i will defend your right to speak a load of bo###cks to the death" :D

As Voltaire said DD "every one has the right to free speech and i will defend your right to speak a load of bo###cks to the death"

Thanks for support. :) You'll come in handy then. :unsure:

Not sure I understand your comparison though. Clearly, I have not an exclusive right to talk a lot of bo###cks. :unsure:

So the people that paid to watch Ronnie Moore, only paid to watch him then when they coughed up their money. They would have been quite happy to have watched him go around and around on his own then?

I think you need to look at the whole picture and not try to pick little bits from what is said. If the gates double when a certain rider is present ,don`t you think the extra people have come to see him? And i would think they would expect to see him race against the mandatory amount of opponents or is that too hard to take in :o

For an artist you seem to have a serious lack of imagination :D

Edited by iris123

And i would think they would expect to see him race against the mandatory amount of opponents or is that too hard to take in

So does that not mean' date=' your not paying to watch all the riders riders against Ronnie as well??? Think about it......

OTE="Iris"'] For an artist you seem to have a serious lack of imagination

I dont have any... :cry:

Of course indirectly everyone payed to see the opponents that is all part of racing ,just as when i go to the cinema i pay indirectly to see the bit part players,but mainly it is the stars that poeple are paying to see.That is the point of the thread and a valid one i think it is.

Maybe we can get a promoter to advertise a meeting featuring 16 top stars and then after everyone has payed their entrance fee we can get you to go out on the centre green and explain that 16 novices are going to ride instead ,but they are of equal value :D:unsure: Worth a try eh ,as an experiment in value for money

Just seen that bit at the bottom of your answer DD and the two bob bit wasn`t aimed at you.Don`t take things too personal,i`m only trying to explain my point ;)

Edited by iris123

Guest comet

Personally I have quie enjoyed reading this thread but there is one thing for sure if it wasn't a load of $%^&*(()( before it certainly has been since your remark DD

So if it didnt interest you why bother and spoil it for others,

Anyway back to the point, I mostly saw NL fixtures in the seventies

John Jackson, Lou Sansom, Jack Millen, Tom and Joey Owen, Carl Glover, Taffy Owen, Bob Valentine, Brian Havelock, Terry Kelly (what a boy).

every one has the right to free speech and i will defend your right to speak a load of bo###cks to the death"

Then why the demolition job on him personally, his vocation, and his opinion, however much you consider it to be b###ocks. Dont you think that is a contradiction in itself? :unsure:

'Art' is purely subjective, and I would not give you two bob for a Titian :)

No one was prepared to give Van Gough a shilling in his lifetime for one of his paintings. :unsure:

Edited by wimbledonwomble

'Art' is purely subjective, and I would not give you two bob for a Titian  :)

No one was prepared to give Van Gough a shilling in his lifetime for one of his paintings.  :unsure:

I was doing really well understaind this thread up until then. How much is that today I think a shilling is 5p but lost me on the bob bit! :oops:

Edited by shazzybird

every one has the right to free speech and i will defend your right to speak a load of bo###cks to the death"

Then why the demolition job on him personally, his vocation, and his opinion, however much you consider it to be b###ocks. Dont you think that is a contradiction in itself? :unsure:

'Art' is purely subjective, and I would not give you two bob for a Titian :)

No one was prepared to give Van Gough a shilling in his lifetime for one of his paintings. :unsure:

I was merely trying to get over the point that the topic "Riders you would pay to watch" is a valid one.And doesn`t require having a pop at people for contributing to it.As it happens i was quite content to read the thread without contributing to it as there are too many riders that i could list.But when he came on like a (whatever) well i felt the urge to try and explain .And as you point out "Artists you would buy a painting from" is also a valid topic to discuss,but probably not here,eh ;)

The fact of the matter is that there are riders people will pay money to see and there are some poeple wont.Just ask any promoter

Edited by iris123

How much is that today I think a shilling is 5p but lost me on the bob bit! :oops:

two bob is 10p

But when he came on like a (whatever) well i felt the urge to try and explain

It seemed to me that you felt he should be corrected by you and that he was wrong for having an opinion (put badly admitted) and you were of course right :) In so doing, then question his ability as an artist, because he cannot agree to your opinions.

What reaction would you expect from a bricklayer if you were making a statement that some are cowboys and others are worth their money. If the comparison was not aimed DD as an artist. Perhaps you should not have used the analogy that you did. Though somehow I feel you could never admit to be wrong about anything.... :o

All I believe DD was saying anyway, that why should only certain riders be worth paying to see and not all of them. However good some are there cannot be a meeting held 'around one or two names'. Even David Beckham cannot play a football match on his own. :wink:

The one and nines was the cheap bit.

One and nine? She was a cheap bit Norbold :o You wouldn't get much for that in Penge :D:D:D

In so doing, then question his ability as an artist, because he cannot agree to your opinions.

May i point you to the bottom of one of my posts where i point out that i was not refering to his ability,just using the Artist thing coz i thought he might understand what i was trying to say.DD isn`t putting him self up for comparison or competing in the same race as it were with Van Gogh and i wasn`t comparing them.As far as i know he is in a field of one and so can be called the King of Speedway Memorabilia paintings.If they aint particularly what i would hang on my wall that is all by the by.Maybe if you had read my post all the way through you would have seen it and we could have spent time on something else.Easy mistake to make though,done it myself.I think i have spent enough energy on you now ,your starting to bore me :o

And to answer the question "Why should certain riders......?" My answer would be.Some cheat,some can`t be bothered to turn up,some cant be bothered to try.To give an example i went to a meeting here in Germany at the end of last season.Apart from some of the advertised riders not being there like Risager and a couple from Latvia,some of the others were riding the next day in a German Championship meeting and were using the meeting to try out bikes and were not wanting to get involved in actually racing.Was i happy that i paid for their practice?Was i #### :angry:

Edited by iris123

For an artist you seem to have a serious lack of imagination
:shock:

I suspect Van Gogh and DD do have somethings in common though, sensitivity and both slightly bonkers :rolleyes: : :D:D

Enough said on the matter now. :approve:

How much is that today I think a shilling is 5p but lost me on the bob bit! :oops:

two bob is 10p

Just be careful if he starts mentioning "thruppeny bits"Shazzy :wink:

Edited by iris123

The one and nines was the cheap bit.

One and nine? She was a cheap bit Norbold :o You wouldn't get much for that in Penge :D:D:D

Yes, but don't forget I come from Hackney.... :shock: