British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vicar

Old Silencers In Poland!

Have just read FIM are to make the (final?) decision until March 23rd.

I for one dont like the new silencers they just sound wrong and why do people complain about noise dont get that one at all its not like speedway started yesterday its been around for decades in Sweden and UK and people start complaining just now I lived in Rzeszow thats my home town track it is located fairly close to center of city, and no one ever complained because it was too loud or other nonsense like that and trust me you can hear if there is a match in large part of that city.You know the saying if it aint broken dont fix it.

Edited by pawel115

I was sitting on my computer all tuesday compiling speedway news and read from the Spar (by Wojtech Szoltycek) that Poland was the last from the big three to agree on using the new silencers. A huge monkey dropped from my shoulders but luckily it had not hit the ground yet, when the poles brought this on us. :shock::blink:

I see two options: 1) The poles and PZM banned from all racing worldwide. This could get tricky, as PZM controls car racing as well in Poland (I think?). 2) FIM go back on their word AGAIN, look like total fools to the outsider/lose all credibility/have no right or means to introduce rules like this again...

Many are saying they sound daft, thats not a reason to forget them. Kolodziejs bikes for this season look awful, but no one is banning him from the GP's...

It won't...?

Seriously - you'd be shocked how much everyone here is against these new silencers and any noise limits - riders, promoters, coaches, sponsors etc. Ask anyone that has anything to say in the Polish speedway (except some corrupted and FIM related oldies from PZM) if they have any problem with the noise and the only answer you'll hear is that nobody have ever complained about the noise here.

No complaints from fans, riders, promoters, coaches or sponsors etc regarding speedway noise in the UK. It's people living nearby throwing european human rights rules into the air and giving councils a hard time... councils then find it easier to either not allow a new track to open or make it difficult for existing tracks to operated. It is no coincidence that every other speedway nation is affected by noise.... It's not just speedway by the way, it's all motorsport. We want speedway around for a long time, being anti-social and noisy will kill it eventually. I hope a nimby doesn't move into a Polish tracks back yard one day, I wonder how it would stand up in a european court if the Poles aren't using an accredited form of noise reduction.

Polish riders are also forbidden to ride in foreign leagues where new silencers are obligatory.

I very much doubt they have a legal leg to stand on with that.

... It's people living nearby throwing european human rights rules into the air and giving councils a hard time... councils then find it easier to either not allow a new track to open or make it difficult for existing tracks to operated.

From what I know, British speedway/greyhound racing tracks are usually located far from town's centres. Whilst in Poland they are right in and yet people don't complain. If you ever been at the Bydgoszcz staged GP round you must have noticed tennant tower blocks around the Polonia Stadium. People living in those flat there flock on their balconies and windows during every speedway meeting. They have the best view and they enjoy it. It seems to me the British people got fed up with speedway and have other things to do. Like complaining, complaining and complaining!

From what I know, British speedway/greyhound racing tracks are usually located far from town's centres. Whilst in Poland they are right in and yet people don't complain. If you ever been at the Bydgoszcz staged GP round you must have noticed tennant tower blocks around the Polonia Stadium. People living in those flat there flock on their balconies and windows during every speedway meeting. They have the best view and they enjoy it. It seems to me the British people got fed up with speedway and have other things to do. Like complaining, complaining and complaining!

If only the issue was a British one.....unfortunatelly it isn't.As someone has posted it seems Sweden also has problems and a number of tracks in Germany also have had or are still having problems.In a lot of ways Poland is still playing "catch up" on modernity and all that goes with it.I also wonder if the Polish speedway authorities are suffering a little from the blinkered view that they are the b all and end all of speedway that caused Britain to suffer when they thought back in the 60s and 70s that they could call the shots.Times change and the sport needs to change with them

And most of the speedway/greyhound tracks i have been to might not be in the centre of town,but they were in fairly residential areas(Wimbledon+Oxford for instance)

They have the best view and they enjoy it. It seems to me the British people got fed up with speedway and have other things to do. Like complaining, complaining and complaining!

Got the same impression after last two days of discussing the whole silencer issue here.

It's disappointing that instead of fighting for their beloved sport some people just seem to give up so easily and agree on such solutions as these new silencers... :( And I'm wondering what's next - because after a couple of years the noise levels may be lowered again and eventually, in 10 or 20 years, speedway authorities in UK or Sweden might really decide to switch on electric engines, as I was joking earlier. Or just shut down the whole business... Because what's the point actually - it's noisy, it's not environmental friendly. Who needs speedway - we may sit at home instead watching x-factor (just not too loudly, remember!)... with no noise outside coming from that bl..dy speedway stadium.

Edited by Mateusz

If only the issue was a British one.....unfortunatelly it isn't.As someone has posted it seems Sweden also has problems and a number of tracks in Germany also have had or are still having problems.In a lot of ways Poland is still playing "catch up" on modernity and all that goes with it.I also wonder if the Polish speedway authorities are suffering a little from the blinkered view that they are the b all and end all of speedway that caused Britain to suffer when they thought back in the 60s and 70s that they could call the shots.Times change and the sport needs to change with them

And most of the speedway/greyhound tracks i have been to might not be in the centre of town,but they were in fairly residential areas(Wimbledon+Oxford for instance)

What about football matches in Germany (or England)? 80 thousand fans at the stadium in Gelsenkirchen at a local derby match. Do they all sit quiet? Are there any noise limits set by FIFA? Do people who live nearby such stadium complain on the noise coming from them?

Edited by Mateusz

Like complaining, complaining and complaining!

Yes...

For example.. I have two one hundred year old oak trees at the very bottom of my garden. Thirty years ago they built a row of new houses approximately 20ft from the trees (doh!). Four years ago someone bought one of these houses at the bottom of my garden (probably at reduced market value because of the trees).... Would you believe it, every year I get a letter through my front door asking me to reduce the height of the trees due to the fact they get no sunlight in their house. I'm told it's unbearable, they seek legal advice everytime and god help me if anything falls and damages their property or their health, the trees have now out grown their environment and should be halved. At the moment you can imagine what my response is, (the sentence is very short), but any change in the law could change that. Speedway here is no different.

Edited by Deano

What about football matches in Germany (or England)? 80 thousand fans at the stadium in Gelsenkirchen at a local derby match. Do they all sit quiet? Are there any noise limits set by FIFA? Do people who live nearby such stadium complain on the noise coming from them?

Well those vuvuzela's were i think banned from the Bundesliga ;) ....and those noise absorbing walls by the motorways aren't enough for some people.Next year here in Hamburg they will start putting a roof over some parts of the motorway to cut down the noise levels even further.A few years of total disruption and now the people living close by are worried about where the fumes from the "tunnels" will come out

Only one of the two may come out of this...

Either FIM will allow Poles to run their league on the old silencers and others will run on the new ones or Poland will be banned from any FIM meetings in 2011.

... here in Hamburg they will start putting a roof over some parts of the motorway to cut down the noise levels even further.

It seems that they will never be satisfied. Now they want to reduce noise by some degree. Then they will say : is not enough, so in the end will we run 'speedway' on electric bikes ?

It looks as though over the years speedway in the UK has been marginalized, pushed aside as a noisy, dirty, minority sport, frequented by a handful of working class maniacs. And now, they want to do the same in Poland. Why is it that FIM who has no complaints from the noise generated at the Monaco Moto GP, or enduro trials, suddenly wants to reduce noise generated by speedway. Who generates more noise, four speedway bikes going round the track for a total of 15 minutes?, or Formula One monster cars going through the streets of Monaco. Why don't they fight to reduce the noise coming from the Tottenham or West Ham football ground. Don't football fans generate enough noise to upset neighbours ?

its what Ludvig Lindgren said that the Aston Villa football games are more loud then B-hams speedway meetings but yet no one is suggesting that the football fans have to be quieter,

So it seems that its not actually the noise that is an issue but something else.Which means that when the no longer can complain at the noise (they will anyway) they will find something else

to complain at.

also Iris123 where did you read that we have a problem? The only track that i know of that have a noise problem is Gubbängen. And if you look at the track locations (see this thread and click on the track names)

you can see that most tracks are outside the nearest settlement.

I also think that allot of things can be done to reduce the noize outside arenas, without or before modifying the bikes. Like creating noise barriers to reduce the amount of noise emerging from a track.

its what Ludvig Lindgren said that the Aston Villa football games are more loud then B-hams speedway meetings but yet no one is suggesting that the football fans have to be quieter,

Spot on... what we are up against is Aston Villa and Birmingham City football clubs generate more income in a year than Birmingham Speedway would ever generate. Money and jobs can talk under these circumstances and unfortunately speedway doesn't have much money and doesn't employ a squad of superstars with huge amounts of disposable income..

I also think that allot of things can be done to reduce the noize outside arenas, without or before modifying the bikes. Like creating noise barriers to reduce the amount of noise emerging from a track.

Yes there is and some tracks have done "the fence" and the "banks of earth" thing, unfortunately (in Birmingham's case) the environmental agency stipulated that the source of the noise must be reduced, no amount of fences and earth would satisfy that objective.

Birmingham council was one of the most anti speedway councils... but now, due to these silencers, we have a team. I guess the speedway authorities have seen this as a softening and feel many more anti speedway councils would not object so much. Bristol being another case. I'm glad the BSPA and FIM have finally recognised noise as one of the biggest threats to speedway, it's not the only one of course but goes a long way to sway decision makers.