British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Sittingbourne

I've just noticed IOW start with a challenge against Sittingbourne. From the press release: 'Meanwhile the Islanders opening meeting will be on Tuesday 19th April, a challenge fixture against a Sittingbourne Crusaders side'. I haven't really been keeping tabs on the Crusaders' situation, so....

Any idea on a team?

Is there a viable promoter waiting in the wings?

And how likely is it for 2012??

I've just noticed IOW start with a challenge against Sittingbourne. From the press release: 'Meanwhile the Islanders opening meeting will be on Tuesday 19th April, a challenge fixture against a Sittingbourne Crusaders side'. I haven't really been keeping tabs on the Crusaders' situation, so....

Any idea on a team?

Is there a viable promoter waiting in the wings?

And how likely is it for 2012??

Quite interesting. Sittingbiourne could run a few open meetings later this year.

I really begin to enjoy the National League. It's good entertainment on a level that reminds me of the 1970's National League. There are famous clubs like Belle Vue, Hackney and teh Heathens, and the team have British riders, not some Poles Danes or Czechs as in the EL and PL. And admission fees are more reasonable. I am all for the NL from now on. No scandals either! :)

Yes Bavarian, I wish that more people would realise what a SUPERB product National League racing is. Trouble is that most of them won't even give it a try, so how will they ever know. People mistakenly seem to think that at the non stand alone clubs such as Belle Vue, King's Lynn etc., that it would be like watching a reserve football match, which of course couldn't be further from the truth.

At King's Lynn this year, we are staging Elite & National League meetings on alternate(ish) weeks, and I just pray for the riders and promoters sakes, that the Stars supporters don't cold shoulder the Young Stars meetings, because they and everyone else will be the losers.

Every year I seem to bang this drum, and it's always to no avail......BUT......I won't stop doing it, because it's worthy of the publics support.

Mike

Quite interesting. Sittingbiourne could run a few open meetings later this year.

I really begin to enjoy the National League. It's good entertainment on a level that reminds me of the 1970's National League. There are famous clubs like Belle Vue, Hackney and teh Heathens, and the team have British riders, not some Poles Danes or Czechs as in the EL and PL. And admission fees are more reasonable. I am all for the NL from now on. No scandals either! :)

I hope you're not, like many, confusing the existing entity that IS Sittingbourne Speedway with another completely separate one that MAY stage speedway in future.

The track at Iwade IS Sittingbourne Speedway and the management there are putting together a side to travel to the Isle of Wight for the season's opener at Smallbrook.

Then there is the Greyhound Stadium - http://sittingbournegreyhounds.co.uk at Central Park which MIGHT be a future venue for our sport but not this year I feel sure.

Edited by Bryn

I hope you're not, like many, confusing the existing entity that IS Sittingbourne Speedway with another separate one that MAY stage speedway in future.

The track at Iwade IS Sittingbourne Speedway and the management there are putting together a side to travel to the Isle of Wight for the season's opener at Smallbrook.

Then there is the Greyhound Stadium - http://sittingbournegreyhounds.co.uk at Central Park which MIGHT be a future venue for our sport but not this year I feel sure.

Thanks Bryn for putting this right. Yes I was of the opinion that the Sittingburne team refered to in this thread is that of the new venue at the Greyhound Stadium, not the Iwade training track. :(

By the way, I read that "Sittingbourne" hosts a round of the new British Youth (u16) Championship later this year. I thought this would be on the new venue, but from what You write, it will more likely be at the Iwade track. Is that correct?

Thanks Bryn for putting this right. Yes I was of the opinion that the Sittingburne team refered to in this thread is that of the new venue at the Greyhound Stadium, not the Iwade training track. :(

By the way, I read that "Sittingbourne" hosts a round of the new British Youth (u16) Championship later this year. I thought this would be on the new venue, but from what You write, it will more likely be at the Iwade track. Is that correct?

Yes indeed that is correct!

I hope you're not, like many, confusing the existing entity that IS Sittingbourne Speedway with another completely separate one that MAY stage speedway in future.

I thought that Mr Cearns said there may well be some Open meetings/Challenge? this year at some time - or did I get the wrong idea ? :)

I thought that Mr Cearns said there may well be some Open meetings/Challenge? this year at some time - or did I get the wrong idea ? :)

That's what Parsloes indicated. Over to Mr P for further clarification please!

That's what Parsloes indicated. Over to Mr P for further clarification please!

As Roger Cearns himself was recently quoted in the Star, the plan is still to hold open meetings at Central Park later this year. Whether logistically this will end up being possible (covenant issue, which he did also refer to in Peter Oakes small article and of course building the sound barrier etc.)I couldn't rightly say.

In terms of club and track names, Bryn is correct that the name 'Sittingbourne Speedway club' belongs to Mr. Arnold at Iwade. There's been much debate on this on the BSF but I can tell you that those planning Speedway at Central Park have NO intention of calling that new club 'Sittingbourne'. 'Kent' is a far likelier name.

As Roger Cearns himself was recently quoted in the Star, the plan is still to hold open meetings at Central Park later this year. Whether logistically this will end up being possible (covenant issue, which he did also refer to in Peter Oakes small article and of course building the sound barrier etc.)I couldn't rightly say.

In terms of club and track names, Bryn is correct that the name 'Sittingbourne Speedway club' belongs to Mr. Arnold at Iwade. There's been much debate on this on the BSF but I can tell you that those planning Speedway at Central Park have NO intention of calling that new club 'Sittingbourne'. 'Kent' is a far likelier name.

Certainly it will be possible to hold speedway at the venue and maybe even this year but, as Parsnips has said above, whether or not it proves feasible remains to be seen although I'm sure everyone would love to see more venues open up.

Having been to Central Park I know how good a venue for speedway that place could be but since talk of speedway opening there has been going on for the best part of 10 years I'll not build up my hopes until it actually happens particularly since this episode with Roger Cairns has been going for quite a while now!

But I've said it before on here and I'll say it again now, if speedway does start up at Central Park in the middle of Sittingbourne and they won't be called "Sittingbourne speedway" while Iwade (which will never be nothing more than a training track with basic facilities which struggles to stage viable 3rd Division level speedway) a few miles out of town is called "Sittingbourne speedway" that will be a ludicrous state of affairs that will not help either venue!

But I've said it before on here and I'll say it again now, if speedway does start up at Central Park in the middle of Sittingbourne and they won't be called "Sittingbourne speedway" while Iwade (which will never be nothing more than a training track with basic facilities which struggles to stage viable 3rd Division level speedway) a few miles out of town is called "Sittingbourne speedway" that will be a ludicrous state of affairs that will not help either venue!

Ouch! not a fan of Iwade then :lol:

Having been to Central Park I know how good a venue for speedway that place could be but since talk of speedway opening there has been going on for the best part of 10 years I'll not build up my hopes until it actually happens particularly since this episode with Roger Cairns has been going for quite a while now!

Hmm, a few comments to make.

1) yes, the promise of Speedway opening at Central Park has been there for some years but let's not forget now there is Planning Permission and Mr. Cearns has gone through a long and expensive planning legal battle to get such consent. This wouldn't - I humbly suggest - be something he'd have gone through only to see the plans falter. I remain very optimistic that we'll soon (even if by soon, we mean late 2011 or indeed 2012...) see the sport opening at what is, as you know, a simply top class venue...

2) yes, the circuit and set-up at Iwade isn't of course in the same class as Central Park but I totally disagree that the facilities at the OGS are so basic as to "struggle to stage viable 3rd Division level speedway" - CL Speedway was run there perfectly successfully in my book. It's a tragedy it didn't continue and I believe personally that there was no good reason it couldn't have continued and be continuing to this day...

3) And yes, you HAVE said this before about the name and I honestly think this debate needs to let go of... Mr. Cearns does not WANT to call the new track Sittingbourne...: he wants the 'bigger' name of Kent - to get county-wide support and not to be associated with the former league operation at Iwade... And on that I 100% agree with him.

1) yes, the promise of Speedway opening at Central Park has been there for some years but let's not forget now there is Planning Permission and Mr. Cearns has gone through a long and expensive planning legal battle to get such consent. This wouldn't - I humbly suggest - be something he'd have gone through only to see the plans falter. I remain very optimistic that we'll soon (even if by soon, we mean late 2011 or indeed 2012...) see the sport opening at what is, as you know, a simply top class venue...

2) yes, the circuit and set-up at Iwade isn't of course in the same class as Central Park but I totally disagree that the facilities at the OGS are so basic as to "struggle to stage viable 3rd Division level speedway" - CL Speedway was run there perfectly successfully in my book. It's a tragedy it didn't continue and I believe personally that there was no good reason it couldn't have continued and be continuing to this day...

3) And yes, you HAVE said this before about the name and I honestly think this debate needs to let go of... Mr. Cearns does not WANT to call the new track Sittingbourne...: he wants the 'bigger' name of Kent - to get county-wide support and not to be associated with the former league operation at Iwade... And on that I 100% agree with him.

Need to go lie down now - find myself 100% in agreement with DB :D

Let's hope it does come about BUT what about the reported time restrictions? If those are correct surely it will be ultra difficult to make it viable?

Depends what you mean by "was run there perfectly successfully." The venue can most certainly stage it BUT, is it viable to do so?

Fair comment BUT what if, unlikely as it probably is, a venue for the sport becomes available at say Dover or Maidstone or, dare I say it near Crayford? Using the proposed embracing "Kent Speedway" tag would have to be changed possibly?