British Speedway Forum
BrizHeathen

Unused Venues

Actually I thought last year's boat race was very exciting.

What's the punchline, Norbold?

There isn't one. It was very close for 4 and whatever it is miles and Oxford just won on the line.

Sorry, just thought I'd mention it. :)

On the subject of BBC coverage of the sport the rights issue with Sky does make showing highlights prohibitive for them in most sports other than Foorball or Rugby (cf. Match of The Day from this autumn or BBC North's Super League Show).

On a local TV or radio level it seemns to be a case of either having a willing reporter/enthusiast or favourable sports editor.

BBC West have had their sports presenter report live from Somerset's track on their 6.30 new programme a couple of times, while BBC South West I know pay attention to Exeter and Weymouth. At radio level we have had great treatment from Radios Oxford and Solent at least but in other parts of the country press releases seem to head straight for the spike.

Taking my current involvement at Sittingbourne. So far BBC South East and Radio Kent have shown no interest in the Crusaders while ITV Meridian through Ken Burnett have given the Crusaders air-time.

Ultimately it comes down to editorial choice. The best way to encourage coverage though is to lobby your local media, especially with the BBC now paying much more attention to its TV Regions and local radio.

One sad point to close on though is that in many cases bad experiences of journalists at the hands of short-sighted promoters in the past often rebounds on our sport when those reporters progress to editorial jobs. Guest riders also damage our public image hugely.

Rob.

Just a mention about Hall Green my mother lived opposite the stadium and Grandfather used to sell programs there. So i think there were many houses there when the speedway was running.

There isn't one. It was very close for 4 and whatever it is miles and Oxford just won on the line.

Sorry, just thought I'd mention it. :)

Was there any passing after the first corner?

just to mention about the time of the British GP i was listening to radio 2 and richard allison got a request for someone going to the GP and he said speedway first out of the gate wins! (or sumthing very similar):mad: so that perception is still there!

Actually I thought last year's boat race was very exciting.

It's the same two teams in the final every year though :DB):D

BTW other unused (by speedway) venues :

Brafield

Ellesmere Port (I think)

Felton

Stenhouse Stadium (Edinburgh) - may now have been "developed"

apologies if these have already been mentioned but we seem to have drifted off-topic just a little :D:D

No chance of Walthamstow having speedway back I'm afraid - housing round three out of four sides of the stadium now! Local council would almost certainly not even give the idea a hearing.

Edited by Robyn1972

we asked, why don't the BBC mention speedway in it sports news round ups even if they cannot show video coverage and his answer was, why bother, who is going to watch it to find out how Newport speedway have done for 5 seconds at some point in a 30 minute program

I get the impression that the BBC is only interested in promoting the (increasingly diminishing list of) sports where they have exclusivity. That's why we're subjected to low-level athletics meetings, obscure horse races, and extended coverage of other minor sports. I generally think the BBC provides top-quality programming, but it must be said that its sports coverage leaves a lot to be desired at times.

No. BBC offices now occupy the site.

And what a scandal that is! In an era where all manner of crap buildings get preserved, it was an absolute disgrace that White City was allowed to be torn-down and replaced by an office block.

Not only was it the venue for the 1908 Olympics, but it was for a while the largest stadium in the world. I think it is still the only Olympic stadium to have been demolished, although the Amsterdam stadium came close to the same fate a few years ago.

Coventry,Oxford,Peterborough. Just thought I would mentionit prior to next

season.

What ever happened to these venues. Fantastic sites, great racing, decent tracks

was it the lack of attendances or just apathy?

Let us be realistic?

Us Folk are ?

You have read that possibly 2 new venues are on site. Read it and suck.

Sorry but you wallies believe everything.

Oxford sucks and the manegemant know it.

Peterborough is not financially viable.

Coventry, well suck and see.

If you would like a professionally managed team, that can do the business and entertain the fans the send us an e-mail?