British Speedway Forum

A kick up the backside sometimes works wonders, obviously did for Nick today ,And could hang on to his place with some repeat performances..Any way I.O.W could be looking for a new reserve looking at their current problems..Tough on John Resch though today..

As with most issues I just think the situation needs a bit of balance.....I wouldn't expect the manager of a stand alone team to roll over and accept a hiding but neither do I think that public rollickings do young riders any good. If words have to be said then do it in private and make sure you're not knocking a young lad's confidence in so doing.

Take your points, but in this case the "criticisms" seem to have had the desired effect, Nick was very unlucky not to have had 3 paid wins ( after not looking remotely like beating anybody in his previous meetings ) and JJ looked back to his old self with a superb maximum.

Haven't read the Star so have not read the article, quite often there is also the question of what context quotes were made in, or the editing process - although not saying this is the case here.

Hope Nick carries on from here, is a good lad with good equipment but probably too laid back for his own good - just maybe this will kickstart his career again.

To be honest Bagpuss I wouldn't expect the manager of a non standalone team to rollover and accept a hiding either, I don't think that is really the issue here.

HT, Nick must be the rare exceptional person you refer to - good time to make your point :rofl:

I don't think that Messers Brundle and JJ were immune from Mike Lee's annoyance either so possibly not the best time to include them in your argument :wink:

As per Waco best wishes to John Resch, bad accident at high speed after picking up some drive on the 3/4 bend, get well soon mate.

Edited by norwichkev

A kick up the backside sometimes works wonders, obviously did for Nick today ,And could hang on to his place with some repeat performances..Any way I.O.W could be looking for a new reserve looking at their current problems..Tough on John Resch though today..

Agree with that waco, as you say it did for Laurence today!

I think this whole issue has been blown out of proportion somewhat!

Agree with that waco, as you say it did for Laurence today!

I think this whole issue has been blown out of proportion somewhat!

I suppose the final word should be. The whole point of the article was that he was out of the team he had had his chance and was going to be replaced which would have meant he would not have had today...:-)

You've missed the piece in the Star this week containing quotes from Lee & Henry which are none too complimentary and saying they intend to replace Nick.. :cry:

Says a lot more about them than it does about Nick.

I didnt agree with the things that were said in the speedway star but yesterday Nick came to the meeting with the right attitude, which is a credit to him.

Also Kevin Jolly spent alot of the meeting talking to Nick and you could see there was no problem between them. It does Kevin credit that he was nothing but positive with Nick from the moment he arrived at the stadium.

On another matter, and to put everything in perspective I wish all the best to John Resch for a full recovery, that was a very nasty accident and an unwanted reminder of how dangerous this sport can be.

HT, Nick must be the rare exceptional person you refer to - good time to make your point :rofl:

As per Waco best wishes to John Resch, bad accident at high speed after picking up some drive on the 3/4 bend, get well soon mate.

Asked for that didn't I ? :D

Two broken legs, a broken pelvis and various other minor injuries. Awful. :(

Every best wish to the lad.

Unfortunately Michael Lees comments were harsh but true!

You couldn't knock Nick Laurence for enthusiasm and commitment to the cause but hes been around for quite a while now, isn't competitve at NL and isn't going to get any better!

Maybe Lee should choose his words more carefully and also realise that nearly everyone who trys speedway aren't going to find it as easy as he did!

Maybe Lee should choose his words more carefully and also realise that nearly everyone who trys speedway aren't going to find it as easy as he did!

Extremely good point, and something that the more gifted individuals amongst us struggle with on occasions.

How many times do we see world class footballers take on the role of team managers at a much lower level than they played at, and then fail because their players skill levels are such that they cannot put into practice the things they are being asked to do, by a person who could do them with his eyes shut.

Edited by womble53

Nail on head.

Asked for that didn't I ? :D

Two broken legs, a broken pelvis and various other minor injuries. Awful. :(

Every best wish to the lad.

Johns injuries are not quite as serious as first thought, although still very unpleasant for the poor boy. He has a double break to one leg, but it looks as if the other injuries are not as they thought, just bad bruising. Thank heavens for that. Best wishes to John for a speedy recovery from everyone at Mildenhall Speedway.