British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fatface

Best Ever World Final Races

Yes, I was supporting Hurri-Ken that night as well, what with me being a West Ham supporter at the time and all.

Most of my comments in the programme related to races Ken was in. Heat 5 says, "Well done Ken. He's in the lead." (He won Heat 5). Heat 12: "Ken is great" (another win). Heat 14 just says "Glucklich!". Ken came last in this heat. He also came last in his last heat. I made no comment this time!

1994 Vojens

Craig Boyce, Hans Nielsen and Tony Rickardsson in a run off for the Title...

Great World Final, the best i can remember.

On the analytical side, why is it that there seem to be so many good races from back then? Is it because as time goes on our memories make them better ?

I've been going to speedway since I was a baby but my first real season of supporting and taking notice (rather than being dragged along and playing in the dust at most track or hiding from the stones that used to hit me in the face or covering my ears to trying make the air horns seem quieter ;)) was 1999(half way though '98 really, Lol Hares first meeting as a Wasps was when I become a regular, thanks to Scott Peglar and Craig Watson) and only a few years later I keep saying speedway is not what it was, it was better in 1999 :) I think we just remember what we want to, it can't really have got much worse can it or we wouldn't go any more. Either that or the last 2 or 3 years it has got worse and we're all slowly leaving and not watching speedway any more?! :s

Obviously, I've made a glaring error in my last post about the '69 World Final. Ken MacKinlay would have been riding a JAP of course, but so was Ronnie Moore. He had a pretty good night too, all things considered.......broken toes, years away from top level speedway and age, though that didn't slow him down much!

World Final tripple run off

Fundin (O), Moore ®, Craven (P).

Re run after fall on 2nd(?) lap, Craven excluded.

Fundin won from the gate!

I don't think the run-off was re-run. Craven came in third behind Moore as far as I know.

Obviously, I've made a glaring error in my last post about the '69 World Final.  Ken MacKinlay would have been riding a JAP of course, but so was Ronnie Moore.  He had a pretty good night too, all things considered.......broken toes, years away from top level speedway and age, though that didn't slow him down much!

I think Fundin was on a JAP too

i vaguely (corretc me if i wrong)remember a race in the 75 final i think when th track was messed with just before peter collins ital race with mauger,olsen (i thinK) i think it was after an interval collins got filled in on first bend and the golden boys chance had gone..i not sure im crumpie wasnt in the race as well i think it was like over watering im sure some geezer got on to track to try and water it himself! or i may be mad :blink:

You may well be mad Longlivefrankie, but you're not wrong. It was the 1975 final. The track was terrible and became more and more dusty as the meeting progressed, so (if I remember correctly) some angry supporters took a hose pipe and put some water on the first bend. Peter Collins was on the outside gate in the next race and hit the wet patch, causing him to literally slip into last place and lose any chance of winning the title.

Still, he made up for it the following year.

I remember a cracking race in Vojens in 1988 I think it was heat 20 Chris Morton and Ermolenko in the pouring rain battling over the 4 laps on what was a treachorous surface, certainly appreciated the skill of the riders.

Also numerous races from 1990 at Bradford, Henka's 1st bend swoop on Tatum, Jonsson and Moran, Tesar Henka and Dugard certainly a great world final :):rolleyes: