British Speedway Forum

Well firstly, I expected the Poles to run away with it, and with a little (lot) of help from us, early doors... they did.

Wuffie OVERtrying (that I can forgive) before doing very well later on, Harris having a great and wartorn evening, Kennett doing very well and giving a thousand percent, Barker holding his nerve and getting that heat win after two confidence denting replacements.. and Scott Nicholls, who had a bad one, but was still trying as hard as he can, which contributed to him hitting the deck.

All the above factors, I'd happily take. They did their best, rode their best.. and yes.. messed up a times. But last night they were a unit, and really, really wanted it. The simple fact remains.. they were beaten by a better team on the night.

The Poles simply didn't / don't mess up. I'd have like to have seen how the scoreline would have panned out without stupid racing decisions by us. When placed, as with Woffinden, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and of course, using a Joker when bringing in a tactical ride would be the best way to go.

GB were always going to qualify. However, it was the manner of the way we finished second, trying to chase it down rather than look over our shoulders and coasting to second.. that I liked.

The word must have been out fully on Sayfudtinov and the Laguta's... otherwise, Wuffy should have done a Batch and got himself excluded.. or something. He made it look easy in his first two rides. :)

I thought we did our best. And think that Barker deserves a shot in the next meeting. As whoever gets that gig will find it tough anyway, I'd like him to be the one getting the experience.

If Bridger has tweeted he's in, is it for Barker or is Nicholls injured (or was he not gonna race in the race off anyway) so he's replacing him?

Want constrictive?

1. Don't give Nicholls a joker.

2. Ignore 1, just don't put Nicholls in the team

3. Don't take Barker out of a ride when we're going to finish 2nd regardless.

Bridger in for Nicholls ...It something to do with Sophie Blake having/ or recently had surgery

Want constrictive?

1. Don't give Nicholls a joker.

2. Ignore 1, just don't put Nicholls in the team

3. Don't take Barker out of a ride when we're going to finish 2nd regardless.

I think he meant constructive - which "Don't give", "Ignore" and "Don't take" are not.

Skornicki, KK and Swidders would be enough to beat GB at Lakeside. The Polish U-21's smashed GB at Rye.

I would not have put a Joker off Gate 1 no matter who it was, Should have waited, why no Stead, Havvy as Manager with Floppy as support for him.I am not going to critise Riders because I could not do a better job, but the Manager, and what we need is a Limit on how many overseas riders are in our leagues then we will have a chance.

Skornicki, KK and Swidders would be enough to beat GB at Lakeside. The Polish U-21's smashed GB at Rye.

I would not have put a Joker off Gate 1 no matter who it was, Should have waited, why no Stead, Havvy as Manager with Floppy as support for him.I am not going to critise Riders because I could not do a better job, but the Manager, and what we need is a Limit on how many overseas riders are in our leagues then we will have a chance.

Im going to Stick up for Middlo here as i believe it was the right time to use the joker and the right time. Gollob looked very one paced in the opener and I thought if Nicholls could have got the drop on him from 1 he could have done the business but hey ho. Overall I was quite despondant last night but in the light of day I think we had a go and on another day co9uld have won it. I think we dropped about 11 points last nighht through bad riding, bad judgement, bad luck, call it what you like.

In all honesty though all this would have done is papered over the cracks for me. As a nation at present we are just not good enough to mix with the best. Im not saying for one minute that we were poor last night because i dont think we were. We made poor decisions at vital times. The Poles gave us an example of how to ride. Electric from the tapes and riding the perfect line. If you look at their team they have riders who havent rode on this track much in recent history. Protasiewicz - 98, Gollob - 98, Kolodziej - Never, Hampel - not totally sure but only once this century.

They are a super team with super riders and could probably have fielded a second team last night which would have done well. GB just seems to have a shortage of young talent at the minute which shows no signs of changing and until we sort the infrastructure that is currently in place it will be tough.

Having said all this we could have still won last night but we are only ever going to do well in our own country. Not enough riders are doing well on the continent on the bigger, faster Polish tracks. I spoke a lot about Eddie Kennett before the meeting and I owe him an apology. He was tremendous for us and scored the points and did the job expected. I doubted he could do it and he proved me wrong, well done Eddie.

IMO Olly Allen should have been in that team probably in place of Barker. Allen would have gated with the Poles and is very hard to pass round the Norfolk Arena. Saying that Ben rode very well in his last race and was deserving of his victory.

Overall it was slightly depressing but fair play to the Poles they arew a class side. I would also like to say well done to their fans. They are a credit to the sport and show such enthusiasm. Had some great banter with their fans on the back straight and they really made the meeting what it was last night.

If you lot stop and think for a minute if the four falls had resulted in

their expected scores we would have got ten more points from four seconds

one a joker we would have lost by three points and everone would say how

unlucky we were we have to learn from this and move on you cant afford falls

and zeros in this standard give the youngsters a chance to gain the experience

necessary be consistant from management and things can only get better

I thought Middlo put the joker in far too early, It was vertually a carbon copy of the error Jim Lynch made . And it was the totally wrong race to put a joker in .

To think that Scott was the right man to use after he had had a poor first race, a second behind Darkin , well it speaks for itself. There was ample races he could

have used a joker in after he had weighed up all his riders . I also think he took Ben out far too early, He should have had one more ride before losing faith in him .

Bridger has already tweeted that he has had the call and is ready to give 100%.

If it was at Eastbourne it would be a no brainer but other than that he is hopeless

Poor performance from Middlo IMHO. I know he has to work with what he's got but ....

Appalling joker decision

Why pull Barker out he had scored points in both his rides, Woffinden hadn't. With Nicholls not going to ride in Poland Barker needed the experience. After the first 3 races Poland were always gonna win.

Middlo said Woffy needed to calm down....surely it's his job as manager to calm him down he should have enough experience with Darcy in his team :P oh but hang on didn't he say at peterboro he was pulling Darcy out because he was too hyped up....he puts Woffy in extra races - double standards ?

It was known before the match that Nicholls would not ride in the race off or final (no probs with that family comes first) so why then when it was also know that the Russians would only have 4 riders or 5 not so good ones was Bridger not brought in. If you know you are gonna use him in Poland give the guy some experience

Where were the rest of the GB squad?

I'd even consider putting Screen in to be honest.

Don't go there , we've more important stuff going on at Somerset and Rye House this weekend .

I thought the joker decision was hasty

Who else would have rode instead of Barker ?

Olly Allen ? Do me a favour

Just shows the lack of strength in GB

Little chance in Gorzow with Nicholls - NO HOPE now

Depressing really that a speedway nation like us is so weak - with very little on the horizon suggesting a change

I thought the joker decision was hasty

Who else would have rode instead of Barker ?

Olly Allen ? Do me a favour

Just shows the lack of strength in GB

Little chance in Gorzow with Nicholls - NO HOPE now

Depressing really that a speedway nation like us is so weak - with very little on the horizon suggesting a change

I believe Olly would have scored very well last night, but with all due respect to him he's not the future of Team GB and it was good for Barker to ride and get the experience. Agree with SL, if Scott was never going to ride Thursday then Bridger should have got the nod last night.